Original Battery charging Q.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcp

Hey guys,
I have an 06 wake with a presumably original yuasa battery. Last weekend the 12volt low warning came on after about the 5th start up during riding on the river. I have a charger, new, that I put on the battery @2amp rate. It hasn't changed to the "maintaining" setting (automatic) It's been on for three days. I just tried the battery. It showed 13.66 volts after I removed the charger. It started right up, twice. Checked it again, it was down to 12.3 volts. Put it back on the charger and it is still on the charging cycle. Is it dangerous to leave it on the charger so long? Is my battery toast?

John

Also, the battery is still in the ski. I have the positive lead of the charger attached to the + post and the neg is attached to the engine block. The ground wire however, is still attached to the neg battery post. Should I completely remove the ground wire form the neg post of battery? Is this affecting the charge? :confused:

Thanks for the reply, I'm at work right now for another 4 hours. Will It do any damage to the electronics in the meantime?

A 6 cell battery is and fully charged at 12.6v. It showed the 13.2 because that is what the charger puts out just like an alternator in a car puts out 14.6v. It still showed 13.2 on the battery after it was disconnected because it holds that value and needs to have some kind of load put on it just for a minute to get it to show its true value.

If you leave the charger on lowest setting and lanyard is off the post you should be OK, never use a charger or running car/truck to overcome a weak battery while starting a seadoo - the electronic box will be damaged.

I never had the key on the dess post while charging, and I started up only after unhooking the charger first. 2 more questions so I have things straight:

1. Should I remove the battery caps while charging?

2. I've read that you should not attach the negative clamp to the battery post, but should attach it to the engine block or another ground source. Is this true?

I never had the key on the dess post while charging, and I started up only after unhooking the charger first. 2 more questions so I have things straight:

1. Should I remove the battery caps while charging?

2. I've read that you should not attach the negative clamp to the battery post, but should attach it to the engine block or another ground source. Is this true?

about the negative to a ground its better for your ski to put the negative on a different ground but some of us have painted trailers and such i have jumped with it on the neg terminal. when charging though make sure neg is on neg and pos on pos .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back