Opinion needed on repairing a hole in my exhaust

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
So i stalled out on the water today. Limped it in as luckily it started and i was nowhere close to shore. Pull it up on shore and the hull has about 3 inches of water in it. I pull it up on the trailer, pull the plugs and turn it over. No water in the engine so yay. Start it on the trailer... it still starts yay. Take it home finish getting the water out of the hull and decide to flush it out. In doing this about half the water is blowing out of a little hole in the elbow of the exhaust. The hole is about half the size of pencil eraser. Reading old posts sounds like some have been able to use jb weld with success while the preference is to get it welded. Looks to be in a touch to reach spot so i may go with jb weld for now. Is there anything else i should be concerned with as far as water getti g into anything?

Last edited by a moderator:
If the hole is actually in the pipe that's surprising, it's usually the Welch plugs that leak. Welding is the best option, but I'd be afraid that the rest of the pipe isn't in that good of shape. For now, I guess the easiest repair is the jb. But I'd be sourcing a good clean pipe. Out if you find its just the Welch plug I make and sell them, then all you need to do is, pull the pipe, grind the old one off and take it to a welder.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Sorry my description was a bit off. Yes it is one of the plugs. Im going to give this a go to get me through the season(as it is short here) and then i will mess around with finding a welder in the fall.

I have tye same problem with the head pipe on an 04 gti rfi. What type of metal is it and how much is a welsh plug?

I'm going to the shop right now to make a bunch up, no time at work today to slip into the lathe. I'll pm you my PayPal info.

Been there with both my 2000 GTI's. My Wife works at a high school that has a welding program. Cost me $50 each pipe to have all the plugs ground off and replaced. See if you can find a welding program / school around. The trainees need real world work to do. The teacher will make sure it's done right. Shoot gray engine paint on the pipe after it's fixed. Stick it on a jack stand to hold it to paint.

Racer - can you pm me your paypal info as well? I have a leak I'm going to replace... IF I CAN FIND A WELDER WHO DOES ALUMINUM.

On vacation myself and dad's 96 GTX is leaking (again) he had JB weld, with rubber and clamps sealing two leaking plugs. JUST replaced all fuel lines (original grey lines were still in it!) fired up and got soaked with pipe leak..

Concern now with grinding out and replacing plugs is that this ski has been 100% salt water use. worried that the pipe itself is likely corroded beyond weld repair..

Are there any aftermarket pipes for these skis or should I start looking for a used pipe from freshwater ski?

Got the plugs in the mail from racerxxx and now hopefully the welder is able to do the job. Finding tig welders seems to be a tad more difficult than i thought it would be. I also bought a new gasket for the exhaust. What type of gasket sealer do you guys recommend for this? My old gasket got murdered while i was taking the pipe off so it was obviously glued down with something that was pretty good.

That gasket goes on dry. If your pipe has a mid joint with a copper ring, clean that really good with a razor blade. I use permatex high temp ultra copper rtv.

Ok... not sure what you are referring to on the copper ring... I am a little confused though, are you saying to use the copper rtv on the pipe to manifold gasket or on the copper ring? My apologies, im still kind of a newb when it comes to a lot of this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back