One huge issue with rebuilding a 2003 GTI LE, single carb

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I enjoy working on them equally as much as I enjoy riding. That might sound crazy lol but I love it. I got to have a winter project

96 XP800!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

I understand what you are saying but at 30 below, reliability is most important or you can't ride alone (too dangerous and risky). In my area, if you get stuck at 5 PM on a weeknight, you may be in big trouble. And no portable phone will save you: no signal. This is why I was referring to reliability. By the way, I believe that BRP still produces 2-stroke engines for ski-doo's. They are called E-Tec engines. But they are complex and I was told that a few of these get seized because of oil pump issues, just like Sea-Doo's.

But I still see older skis on the trails. They just have to be very very well maintained or stick with friends on the trails. I doubt that I will buy one this year because I was drained of cash this year (not just the Sea-Doo). But I would love to have one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Og0JCGKmQ4

Canada (especially Quebec) is a paradise for Ski-Doo as there is a complete organized system of trails (same for ATVs). In 60 days, we will have our feet in the snow... Sometimes four feet of it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VELhtr4p11o

Benji.

Last edited by a moderator:
New engines are more complex Benji, and that's a scary story about being trapped in the wilderness with the possibility of freezing to death. I know it's a true story, I guess you must rely on a triple backup system.

Well it's always about finding the lesser of two evils. You also need to think of getting stranded on the water especially if it's a smaller 2 stroke.. In the middle of nowhere. At least on land, you could move/lay down, etc.. Including riding prepared and packing a pack with extra clothing.. Either way, scary.. There was a post a while back where a guy on a ski spent an entire overnight on his broke down ski in the middle of no where.. Not fun either way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few years back I was running on my ATV and did a bit too much exploration to the point that I realized that I may run out of gas. It was in the fall time and I was about 10 miles away from the village (and no cell signal) and it was approaching dusk. I went straight for the closest public road at the risk of getting a ticket and made it to the service station while my gauges were warning me big time (the whole console flashed when it is about to run out of gas). I was running on the reserve and I was happy that the reserve was actually pretty good. I think 20% is the reserve. I had a good scare there.

On extreme rides and/or in extreme weather, we cannot ride in solo. Too dangerous. Another story: last year, we were six ATVs and we were more than 50 miles away from any civilization up North (like 200 miles north of Montreal and probably 100 miles from the nearest hospital) and one of the guys flipped his ATV real bad and he was ejected from it. He passed out for 2-3 minutes out and his body nearly hit a huge rock. When he came back to himself he was in pain but nothing broken (his helmet was destroyed). There was a moment of real panic there and actually, that was my last long ride as I came to realize that what we were doing was a bit careless at our ages. I still have my ATV but I stick around the cottage and a friend of mine who was with me that day sold his ATV and bought himself a BRP Spyder. He loves it. I rode with him and it is cool.

Nope, if I had to buy a Ski-Doo, it would have to be almost new. I do not have this sense of danger when I ride my Sea-Doo because unless you become unconscious in the water and go to hypothermia, the risk of dying/freezing/hurting yourself is way less possible unless you are riding in remote locations in bad/cold weather which is usually not the case because a Sea-Doo doesn't have enough autonomy to go very far. On an ATV or Ski-Doo, it is easy to ride 100 miles on a single tank.

Enough of my scary stories...
[MENTION=48897]96spxpos[/MENTION] When my engine blew back in July, I was right in the middle of the lake on a Monday night and the sun was going down. Luckily my cell phone was working and my uncle came to tow me and some people on the shore also came to my rescue. I was about five miles from my home. But at least, it was warm out there, nothing like winter. Unless you break down in the ocean, which then could be dangerous.

Benji.

Yeah, I admit I'm more interested in your blown engine and what happened, if there was any warning, etc..

A guy brought me his Mercruiser a few days ago that dropped an exhaust valve wanting to know if I could replace it for him...... Other than that this engine was a really nice 5.7 roller cam 4-bolt, GM's good strong #880 block well taken care of with no internal wear to speak of and clean as a whistle for it's 20 year old age.

The oil pan had 8 quarts of water under 5 quarts of oil, a shattered piston and a big hole knocked in one cylinder sleeve. The #7 connecting rod was twisted and bent over to one side about 1/2 inch.

I could tell this was a reman engine b/c of the heat tabs and lack of serial number that had been installed many years ago and had been running great up until the valve keeper popped lose and the valve fell into the cylinder. The engine was by no means worn out, just broken.

OK, I will write up my story in a timeline fashion and everything that happened in sequence and I will post it. I guess that maybe it was my fault if the engine blew up but still, I am not sure. Also, at least two mechanics touched it before it blew.

Benji

Got to get him using wrenches and stuff. All he needs now in his present business are screw drivers and soft ware.

You would be surprised at all the tools I have. Almost enough to pull the engine. I just don't have the setup nor the time at this point.

Benji.

It's everyone's thread as long as it's related!

Benji

Interesting article by the way.

sounds like an air leak somewhere to me.... maybe try some wd40 or carby clean around seals or gaskets see if revs change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back