Oil Injection Pump in Mercury Optimax EFI

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windrider

Which Mercury Sport Boat engines were susceptible to failing oil pumps and which engines have the newer redesigned system that was mentioned in a 2013 thread? Anyone know if the newer redesigned system is less failure prone or has anyone experienced a failure on the newer redesign? If failures still exist with the redesign it begs the question if bypassing the injection system and switching to premix is still a valid solution.

My engine does have the newer more rectangular plastic cover on top, it's s/n 0E397717 and in a 2002 Utopia 185 with the 200hp Optimax EFI.

There is excellent input on this topic on the forum but most is dated back to 2013 and hoping Dr Honda or or someone else is still available and knowledgeable on this topic.

The gen 1 240efi. Mercury changed it on the gen 2 240 efi.

I know the 250 optimax didn't have that issue. Pretty sure it wasn't an issue on the 200 optimax either.

The gen 1 240efi. Mercury changed it on the gen 2 240 efi.

I know the 250 optimax didn't have that issue. Pretty sure it wasn't an issue on the 200 optimax either.

At some point, Merc changed from gear drived oil pump to electric. That solved the problems.

Thank you all. I was also able to contact the factory with my s/n and they confirmed my engine shipped with an electric driven oil pump. My mercury mechanic also was able to confirm that he's never known of any issues with those and didn't even recommend replacing the electric pump as a preventative maintenance item.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back