Oil in hull

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpoist28

I have a 2002 gti that I recently got. So I just noticed some oil in the hull. Not much but just enough to be noticeable. Like I said I just bought this ski and have only had to add oil to it once. There was never oil in the hull until after I added oil that first time. I will say I accidentally filled it to the top, to the point that some overflowed. I know rookie move lol. But can the oil in the hull be caused from overfilling? I did take it to the shop the other day to get a couple cosmetic things done to it (new traction mat and seat wrapped) I asked the mechanic about the oil in the hull and he said will inspect. Upon picking the ski up the mechanic said he searched for a leak and did not find anything, then proceeded to say it's normal for a older 2 stroke ski to have a little bit of oil in the hull. I searched for a leak as well and found nothing. I just find that statement from the mechanic to be a bit weird and the fact that it wasnt in there before I filled it up the first time. I do check oil level before each time I take it out and I never lose oil. Meaning it could sit for a week and the oil level appears to be the exact same. I may be overthinking this but just doesn't seem normal to me. Any advice would be appreciated.

Well, having been there, I believe you have the long plastic oil tank that is right beside the gas tank. This was at one point a recall by BRP, all those tanks have cracked, or are destined to crack! They crack along the seam next to the gas tank, so you can't see the leak. The problem being, that it is a PITA to replace, not an easy job. Tight quarters and time consuming, but with patience, you can do it.

It sucks to have oil in the hull, I hate an oily hull, but you are not alone. You can live with the oil, clean the hull occasionally, and make sure your oil is topped up. Or, you just maintain the level to below the seam. Sometimes, the crack is in the tank, that's a different issue, needing you to replace the tank. There are threads where people have removed the tank, and with a soldering plastic weld kit, repair that seam.
I would try letting the oil level go to below the seam, and see if that clears up your problem, of course, thoroughly clean out the hull first. I am sure there are threads on here on how to remove, and replace that tank, if you buy a new one, make sure it is the updated tank.

Well, having been there, I believe you have the long plastic oil tank that is right beside the gas tank. This was at one point a recall by BRP, all those tanks have cracked, or are destined to crack! They crack along the seam next to the gas tank, so you can't see the leak. The problem being, that it is a PITA to replace, not an easy job. Tight quarters and time consuming, but with patience, you can do it.

It sucks to have oil in the hull, I hate an oily hull, but you are not alone. You can live with the oil, clean the hull occasionally, and make sure your oil is topped up. Or, you just maintain the level to below the seam. Sometimes, the crack is in the tank, that's a different issue, needing you to replace the tank. There are threads where people have removed the tank, and with a soldering plastic weld kit, repair that seam.
I would try letting the oil level go to below the seam, and see if that clears up your problem, of course, thoroughly clean out the hull first. I am sure there are threads on here on how to remove, and replace that tank, if you buy a new one, make sure it is the updated tank.

Thank you for the advice! I am starting to believe that leak may be a bit above the full line as I had no oil in the hull until I filled the oil tank to the top. I will wait until the oil level goes down a bit below the line then clean the hull real well. Then hopefully i wont find any more oil in the hull hich would tell me its leaking above or at that line which I could live with. I just wont fill it to the top if that comes to be the case. If swapping the tank out is that big of a pain I want to avoid having to try that, I have slim patience lol

Hijacking the thread....sorry.....complete rookie in PWC world and have the same issue as jpoist28. Can anyone recommend the best place to look for replacement parts? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back