Oil Alternative

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimraab

Is there a less expensive oil that I can use on my 4 Tec engine rather than pay the high price for Seadoo oil?

I've been using CASTROL GTX non-synthetic 10W40 in 4tec engines for the last 8 years. It works just fine.

why would you risk a $3k engine to save what $5 bucks . I order the seadoo maintanence kit on line, gal semi-syn, filter ,two orings and three plugs for about $ 55. What I have read you should not auto oil.

If there is any risk to the engine I wouldn't think about taking a risk for saving just a few dollars. It just seems that many people use oil other than Seadoo.

I've been using CASTROL GTX non-synthetic 10W40 in 4tec engines for the last 8 years. It works just fine.

I use the same thing. Went to Walmart with the owners manual in my hand. Needs to meet api class SM, SL, or SJ. The Castrol GTX meets all of them. Don't let people on here fool you, you wont void your warranty or hurt your engine using it.

you can use other oils like mystik or amsoil you might save a few dollars. They have pwc oils . But I would not use automotive oils. Read the manual and see what ratings you need and compare it to others oils. I use mystik 2 stroke on on my 00 gtx ,but I use seadoo on my 03 because they say a semi-syn for s/c.

chucked, I currently have the seadoo synthetic oil in the ski. Can I switch to either the Castrol standard or synthetic blend with no issue?

You can use an oil that is spec. for the engine.
Just remember.
Oil is a lot cheaper than metal.So do not scrooge

Well you're not supposed to switch back from synthetic, synthetic will somewhat swell the seals in your engine, but depending on the condition of your motor you probably wont have any issues. Unless its really high hours you wont have a problem. Ive rebuilt a few hundred engines over the past 10 years and Ive never seen one fail because of using the wrong or cheap oil. Keep oil in it and keep it changed and you wont have a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back