oem starter

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes direct from Seadoo.
I would suggest our site sponsor Seadoo Warehouse on the right corner of this page.
Starter Ass'y
Your Price: $259.99

Your gonna get more bang for your buck ordering and oem starter on eBay and rebuilding it.

I've always been astounded at the price seadoo wants for these starters

Agree with both inputs here.

Support our site sponsor if you go brand new.

Ebay OEM starters with a rebuild kit are better than an aftermarket starter any day. There is always a risk, but look for good feedback and a clean looking starter in the picture and you are going to have good results 95% of the time. All my starters are eday oem with a rebuild and they are very reliable.

I've been wondering about the SBT starters that sell for $100.
What's to wonder about? They have a proven track record of being junk that breaks within a few hours to a year. They are totally worthless unless you are just flipping a ski and passing the problem on to someone else.

I was a little surprised when I took one apart that SBT gets away with straight up copying the Denso starter, down to the same brushes. I did not get into measuring the shaft diameters but every part looked to be interchangeable with the OEM starter. I have noticed the SBT starter gets just as rusty as all the other junk starters where the Denso will last forever it seems. I have a Denso where the case has been eaten away on one side maybe up to 2mm deep, but it's still solid.

"New, high-torque Sea-Doo starter designed by SBT to start your jetski engine easier than OEM with more power." I dunno for $109... I'm interested. I'll give them a call and talk to them about it.

I've known businesses that address issues with quality and supply better products as they mature.

I was a little surprised when I took one apart that SBT gets away with straight up copying the Denso starter. I did not get into measuring the shaft diameters but every part looked to be interchangeable with the OEM starter.

Exactly.... I give due consideration to rebuilding a 20 year old OEM starter with a $15.00 repair kit and calling it better than a new starter. Operator error can destroy a high dollar starter as quickly as a $60 starter. I find the best way to give a starter long life is to keep a good running easy to start engine. :)

On the straight up copying... lots of times starts come of the same line with different stickers. :) Getting all the information possible helps us make informed decisions.

Exactly.... I give due consideration to rebuilding a 20 year old OEM starter with a $15.00 repair kit and calling it better than a new starter. Operator error can destroy a high dollar starter as quickly as a $60 starter. I find the best way to give a starter long life is to keep a good running easy to start engine. :)

On the straight up copying... lots of times starts come of the same line with different stickers. :) Getting all the information possible helps us make informed decisions.

Voltage drop at the starter probably kills more starters than anything and operator error kills the rest.

When the engine don't start they just hold the button. Then when it is out of gas the use the starter to get the ski to shore. LOL One guy flooded both skis the same day he got them, then broke the end of the starter off because it kept locking up due to water ingestion. Not the starters fault.

Hate to burst your bubble but the SBT is a Chinese copy of an oem. They look similar even on the inside but it’s the quality of the materials you can’t see. They use inferior metals and materials that’s why the windings go bad and the shafts break.

99% of the time it’s just the brushes that wear out on the OEM ones not anything mechanical.

The aftermarket ones also don’t have the correct end cap so you can’t use the rear support and the starters eventually come apart from the torque.

Finally when the they advertise “High Torque “ it’s only that they are using the 8 tooth bendix, there’s nothing high torque about the starters. In 1995 when the 787 first came out in the XP 800 it had a 9 tooth starter and racers quickly found that the engine wouldn’t start or the starter went out. The Seadoo engineers cure was to increase the mechanical advantage by going to an 8 tooth bendix on future 787’s. So the aftermarket “High Torque “ is just marketing BS.

I’ve also seen the magnets fall apart on a few also.

Last edited:
If you dead set on a new one and aren't worried about have a none oem starter just order one of Amazon or eBay for 30 bucks

I've been lucky and had one of those work for the last 2 years in my GTX.

I've also had 1 give out within the first 5 rides after installing it.

It really stinks when your geared up for a day on the water and end up getting towed back to the dock over a cheapy made starter

I don't like the real cheap starters only because I suspect they are bottom of the line but who knows this for sure. How the heck does anyone know the difference to cheap, medium cheap, and quality cheap and that you are not paying more for the same starter? :D :) If it meets your needs... that's what it is all about. LOL

I don't like the real cheap starters only because I suspect they are bottom of the line but who knows this for sure. How the heck does anyone know the difference to cheap, medium cheap, and quality cheap. :D :)

Their all junk. Buy used oem starter off ebay. If it needs rebuilt which sometimes it doesnt, rebuild it. U can have $50 total in cost of used oem and rebuild. Easy to rebuild.

Ive played the buy new chinese junk years ago with these starters. All different brands and prices. In the end they were all junk. Lot of times when they quit working was when skis sat all winter. First crank up after winter-nothing. Now i just rebuild oem starters. Never had to go through an oem one i rebuilt yet.

The SBT are the same as the other junk. Over the years SBT has been slowly raising their prices on everything so don’t think the higher price means better quality. SBT is pretty much the same price now as WSM, hydro turf and even some OEM parts making it an even worse deal. Other than their alignment tool there’s nothing I would recommend buying from SBT.

I don't like the real cheap starters only because I suspect they are bottom of the line but who knows this for sure. How the heck does anyone know the difference to cheap, medium cheap, and quality cheap and that you are not paying more for the same starter? :D :) If it meets your needs... that's what it is all about. LOL
That's easy, OEM is top quality. All others are cheap junk, regardless of what you pay.

Chester

You need to put a price on your own time. On my Challenger to change the starter you have to hang upside down like a bat to remove the bolts that hold the starters in. Replacing the one in my kids GTX RFI you need to lift the motor. OEM for me any day..

You need to put a price on your own time. On my Challenger to change the starter you have to hang upside down like a bat to remove the bolts that hold the starters in. Replacing the one in my kids GTX RFI you need to lift the motor. OEM for me any day..
Totally agree, when you are on a family vacation and dead in the water for the entire rest of the trip that $279 starter sounds like and awesome deal.

Can't imagine pulling a starter from a ski without pulling the exhaust. Yes I could have pulled the starters off my speedster with exhaust in place but I prefer NOT storing all my extra stainless hardware in the bilge/motor plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back