Odd Oil on Plugs question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

lamajama

I was changing the plugs on my 04 GTX SC and noticed that the front 2 cylinder plugs had a liberal coating of oil on the
threads of the 2 plugs. The oil was not burned at all and looked rather clean. The 3rd cylinder was dry as they normally
are... The seadoo is running just fine and the oil level is right in the middle where it should be.

I was planning on changing the oil but need to get it warmed up good and don't want to run it on the hose for even over a
minute despite some instructions saying to run it on the hose for 5 min and then doing the oil change so I'm going to try doing it
after a run.

Anyway, in regards to the oil on the plug what does everybody think?

Get a flashlight and look down the spark plug tubes and see if you have an oil leak into the spark plug tubes from the head.

Also, remove the SC hoses ans see if you have oil in them. If so, the SC seal has gone bad and you are sucking oil from the engine and into the intake..

Also, remove the SC hoses ans see if you have oil in them. If so, the SC seal has gone bad and you are sucking oil from the engine and into the intake..

This may make some sense - the SC was just rebuilt and reinstalled. Is it unusual that 2 of the 3 cylinders and not all 3 would have this issue?

Is this is it is it an easy fix and has it caused any permanent damage?

This may make some sense - the SC was just rebuilt and reinstalled. Is it unusual that 2 of the 3 cylinders and not all 3 would have this issue?

Is this is it is it an easy fix and has it caused any permanent damage?

Can't answer that officially, but I would think so as the furthest plug the oil would likely have to travel further to get to it. But that's just me thinking,,, nothing to really base that on.

If you REALLY want to know, pull the intake. You will see an oil oath I would think, assuming it is the SC.

Thanks a lot. I'll do this tomorrow and report back.

Is the SC seal an internal part of the SC or at the reinstall point on the motor?

I guess what I'm asking is if this is a fix I can do myself....

Get a flashlight and look down the spark plug tubes and see if you have an oil leak into the spark plug tubes from the head.

Yikes, this doesn't sound good, easy to repair nor cheap.....

The 1st time I took it out after the SC was rebuilt during the off-season I noticed what I perceived to be less top end power and attributed it to sucking something
into the jet drive as I was on the Fraser River - as your know, it's the toilet of rivers...unfortunately it also threw a oil sensor code so I limped back and changed
the sensor and it cleared up the code so I kind of forgot about the power issue as it seems to be running just fine.. I've had it on 2 long trips in June and didn't
notice any reduced power but I was with the wife the whole time so the rides were fairly sedate....

Also Chris I think you need to update your machine....your 2005 was suitably remembered in your 3feetdeep video..........:)

Thanks a lot. I'll do this tomorrow and report back.

Is the SC seal an internal part of the SC or at the reinstall point on the motor?

I guess what I'm asking is if this is a fix I can do myself....

Internal, as in part of the SC.

This was not "some" oil. The plugs were well coated with clean oil. I've never seen that - ever
so I really hope this is an overreaction but as its so unusual I think not.

In the automotive world, it would either be the valve cover gasket or the seals around the base of the spark plug tubes. eBay seadoo 4tec spark plug tube and you'll see what I'm talking about. It's not a major concern.

The seals around the tubes leak a little oil and it pools up around the plug. When you take the plug out, gravity makes the oil fall into the cylinder and it coats the threads of the plug as it's doing so.

In the automotive world, it would either be the valve cover gasket or the seals around the base of the spark plug tubes. eBay seadoo 4tec spark plug tube and you'll see what I'm talking about. It's not a major concern.

The seals around the tubes leak a little oil and it pools up around the plug. When you take the plug out, gravity makes the oil fall into the cylinder and it coats the threads of the plug as it's doing so.

This ^^^^ is what I was thinking it's a much easier fix than the supercharger seal.

I agree, easier fix if that is the issue. I have not see our valve covers leak that way as of yet. But certainly possible.

As ar as I can see and tell, there is NO oil leak here. The tubes are dry and oil-free

Removed both and pretty much dry. Very very light oil residue but not enough to even leave a trace on fingers

So....I had ran the machine after changing plugs yesterday for about 30 seconds. Took #1 and #2 out today and the images attached show both plugs
with oil around the hex of the plug. Not much today but yesterday, the plugs I removed were after a week of riding on holidays and was certainly more.

So the question still remains - what is happening....? :facepalm:

Either the tubes are leaking or you didn't clean the oil out of your socket from yesterday.

Well I'd like to think I'm not THAT stupid but you may be right....:facepalm:

The tubes are certainly dry and no oil whatsoever but I did NOT wipe the socket from yesterday...I'm an idiot BUT in my defense...the plugs yesterday
were wet with a dry socket....(trying to save some face as is proven by the oil inside the socket I guess...)

SO...I'm leaving again in 2 weeks for a week so I'll check again after...with a dry socket....but something is up....

:dupe:

I'm not sure how often you change your plugs but there are plenty of marine motors I see that honestly are very low hour despite being over 10 years and older and still have the original plugs. Yes we winterize these every year and during, spray oil all over the outside of them, that's mainly how/why they get grungy b/c the oil is a dust magnet but there's not a speck of rust....!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back