Nooby buying my first PWC. 2000 Gti

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

MTHancock

Help? Am I getting a good deal? A repair shop selling it for a customer. It looks great and I understand it was stored properly indoors for 4 years. He started it (out of the water), but won't allow a test-drive because I could "run it up-river and damage it."

He is the mechanic that took it out of storage and prepped it to crank back up. He had it out and swears it's a great craft.

He will provide a guarantee if it is mechanically unsound after I buy it, but he won't allow a test-drive. Shop is not on the water.

He says it's a good indicator of how it was cared for because it looks like new. Even the engine shines. No dings, scratches, or wear on vinyl.

He wanted $3000 with trailer, but is taking $2200.

What would you do to make sure you weren't being taken advantage of as a new PWC fan?

If he’s a mechanic have him check compression while your there before you give him any money. Also see if it still has gray fuel lines. Good compression is 150. 140 is decent. 130 or below and your looking at a top end rebuild soon. For that kind of money with cash in hand I would have to water test it.

Just because it runs on the trailer means nothing other than it runs. All kinds of things to look for gray fuel lines, busted motor mounts, jet pump problems, stuck cables etc. Look at the fuel lines, ask for a compression test, but make sure the motor is cold and don't give him a heads up so he doesn't put oil in the cylinders to fake it. He is asking beyond top dollar and won't let you ride it......think about that.

Thanks! He said compression was 150, but I wasn't sure how hard it is to set that test up. That's a great idea. What would the presence or absence of gray fuel lines mean? Gray is factory and I want to make sure they've been replaced?

Just because it runs on the trailer means nothing other than it runs. All kinds of things to look for gray fuel lines, busted motor mounts, jet pump problems, stuck cables etc. Look at the fuel lines, ask for a compression test, but make sure the motor is cold and don't give him a heads up so he doesn't put oil in the cylinders to fake it. He is asking beyond top dollar and won't let you ride it......think about that.
His reason for not riding is I could run it into shallow water and mess it up. That somewhat makes sense to me. Does it seem sketchy to you? We have a shallow clay-bottom lake.

Gray fuel lines react with the ethenol and produce a carb clogging green goo that causes the engine to run lean, get the pistons too hot and fry them. Standard 1/4" automotive fuel line dosent have this problem. I understand where he is coming from on the test drive part but you are banking on his word that it runs like he says it does, if he is wrong or not telling the truth you will be in the ski so deep you will loose a pile of money at $2200. A mint 2000 GTi is still a 2000 GTi, 18 years old and not necessarily special

Too much money. Better deals around that will allow you to test drive. Equipment sitting for long periods is not good.

Well, on these if the engine is filled with oil it is typically an inner crank seal that is bad. This requires a new crank. You could get lucky that it needs to be ridden and has been sitting for so long but it could be an issue.

The GTI was seadoo's entry level 3 seater. It only had a 85 HP engine and tops out at 45 mph so it is nothing special but it is one of the most reliable skis that seadoo made. I would check everything including impeller, wear ring, compression fuel system and get his warranty in writing.

I would at least back it in the water and run it on the trailer. If he won’t let you do this run. Also if it was filled with oil his compression readings are false.

I find a great many people are far to optimistic about the condition of their equipment. Especially the stuff you can't see. Be careful.

In my area marine mechanics are known for filling jet ski cylinders with oil for long term storage. Working on a 96 Gti right now that was done this way. I’ve run onto it many times. Unfortunately you would need to have possession of the ski for awhile to determine if this is the case or if you have bad crank seals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back