No lighting on PWC?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Requirements for boats that are not required on PWC's. There should be a USCG list of exemption sticker on the rear of your ski, there's one on my ski.

Lou

Okay, but it's not like coast guard is giving out waivers. The way you made it sound it's like it was a huge deal. I think that's a little off-track

Hmm, I thought all jet skis have bilge pumps. I know small boats aren't required to have a horn, but they must have some type of sounding device. As for paddles, whether it be required or not, I was going to have a set on my PWC just for the sheer dumb luck I break down in the middle of nowhere and have it as a backup plan.

I did happen to stumble across the Florida PWC law:
"PWCs may not be operated during the hours between one half-hour after sunset to one half-hour before sunrise. Due to navigation light requirements, PWCs without navigation lights may operate only between sunrise and sunset."
I see the key phrase being "without navigation lights may operate between sunrise and sunset", says nothing about PWCs WITH lights. :p

geeze Rod, you got leaves falling already???

I knew I shoulda used the close-up of just the sticker, but was ready to get ragged on for the dirty ski ... ya surprised me with superior observation.

In answer to your question, I got all kinds of crap falling off trees and bushes all year around and I do not have the blessing of snow covering it up for a portion of the year. I will need to put it in my scheduler to post a complaint about the leafs, flower petals, etc all over the ground in the December, January, February time frame.

Jus keep smilin

Rod

I often drive my truck at night with my headlights off, just for the adrenalin rush, so hell, I'll sign the petition.

Whats that all about? Its not much different then driving a boat at night

The price of PWC's would increase due to being required to meet minimum standards that at this time they do not need to meet.

Sounds trivial, but there is a HUGE process involved when meeting Federal Standards.

I think running a PWC at night is a bad idea. Unfortunately PWC's, since they are relatively easy to operate and maneuver, attract a lot of inexperienced people (like myself). I've personally seen guys just jump on their buddy's ski and go full throttle without regard to safety, other boaters, the laws of man and physics, etc.

Boats, in my limited experience, tend to be operated by more experienced persons and less likely to be solo operators. In New York the law requires you to take a safety course before operating a PWC, but not for a boat. Perhaps for this reason.

I'm complete opposite. I am always on the alert around me. I treat it no different than driving a car, always looking out. Here in Florida no boater's license is required if you're born before 1, January 1988. It's also not required for me to have a safety course but the safety course I am taking anyway.

I've ordered lights for my PWC and test them out in FL. If I get caught and they say no more then I'll just hop on over to Alabama where they allow after dark operation WITH navigation lights. Not that I'll be riding a lot at night anyway.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. My head is constantly on a swivel looking out for things also. Still, I don't think I would feel comfortable at night.

I've never seen a a PWC with lights. It would be interesting to see. Post pics if you can.

I have found a video or two as well as some pictures (Australian). I'll try to find them again and post them later today after work.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. My head is constantly on a swivel looking out for things also. Still, I don't think I would feel comfortable at night.

I've never seen a a PWC with lights. It would be interesting to see. Post pics if you can.

Even if your state allows PWC to run at night w/lights you can't go over idle speed anyways....boats too...

After dark is no wake speed 100% of the time.

A quick check and I see no mention of a speed limit requirement in the Michigan night time navigation rules.
https://www.boat-ed.com/michigan/handbook/page/13/   Nighttime-Navigation

mmmmm, you are correct. I couldn't find any rules against high speed boating at night for all lakes in general. I guess some rules were relaxed since i took the boaters course.
On the first lake i lived on the rule was no high speed after 7:30pm until 8am the next day....one of the reasons I moved.

On Cass Lake and a few others it reads :
36. On the waters of Cass lake, Oakland county, it is unlawful:

(a) Between the hours of 9:00 p.m. and 6:30 a.m. of the following day to operate a vessel at high speed or have in tow, or otherwise assist in the propulsion of, a person on water skis, water sled, kite, surfboard, or similar contrivance.

So I assume each lake can be different and set their own rules.

But in all reality it would be stupid to run high speed at night....you never know what's ahead on or in the water. I believe that about 15 yrs or so ago that's how a MLB player was killed and others critically injured when the boat hit a dock.

Right, generally most states do have no wake rules around docks regardless of visibility conditions. 100ft, I think is the general rule, perhaps some 150ft, day or night regardless. Some nights the moon is full and the conditions are clear, others not so. Thus the expectation is navigation speeds are based on maintaining safe operating conditions which can become somewhat subjective at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back