no full power!!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottcba1

I have a 2001 challenger 1800 with the 240 efi motor. Was surging a bit at higher rpms but would work its way to 6000rpms n 55mph on smooth water every once in awhile. Lately i noticed its smoking a bit more n wont go over 4500rpms n about 40mph. The surging is almost totally gone. I changed the fuel filter n fuel seperator. I checked for spark running on a hose at home n had spark on all 6 cyl. Plugs are gross as you will see in the picture i have new ones on order. I replaced the passenger side or portside temp sensor(the three wire one) to no avail. Ive looked for a guardian n cant find one so i dont think thats the issue. Any help is mich appreciated. Boats running ok but miss getting full throttle on smooth water. Any help is much appreciated!

Sorry it wouldnt let me add pic of the plugs. They were all wet n the top two cylinders closest to the flywheel were more black then the rest that were more tan/brown.

I had my trigger replaced, similar symptoms with visible signs of corroded wires. What a difference!
Apparently wasn't getting the current needed with the broken corroded wires.

Thx guys guess i will have to pull the fly wheel n inspect. Was hoping to not have too. Any pics of what your bad trigger looked like or is it strictly electrical n not visible?

I didn't take any pics of the old one. The wiring harness had several exposed wires meaning the plastic insulation dry rotted off to show the strands of rusted wire.

That trigger harness on mine extended from under the flywheel top/center of the engine.
If you locate it you can do a visual inspection.

I don't know how to test for a bad trigger.

You likely won't be able to see a problem with it per se. You can test it for continuity but I don't have the specs.

I appreciate the help n had felt all along it was a bad trigger so your re assurance has sealed the deal. Im inspecting n hopefully ordering one tomorrow!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello how are you I'm having the same problem with my 2004 utopia with the 250 optimax the surging is driving me crazy I'm going to try the things you suggested thanks for the info good luck and let us know how it goes!!!

I moved the wires for the stator n trigger disconnected both reconnected n remounted to their brackets n boat runs like raped ape again! No more surge gets 6k rpms n hit 45mph with 7 people n rough water! Thx for the help guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back