Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

brandondemarest

Im a newbie to the pwc market. I just did some trading for a 95 and a 96 hx a couple weeks ago. i was just curious where the best place to start is performance wise. i was told the 95 is bone stock and the 96 has twin carbs. but after riding both it seems that there must be more done to the 96 than just carbs.

Well since i will be riding them in the gulf i dont want to sacrifice the reliability much on the one thats stock but i would like to do a little to it just to make it get up and go a little better and the other id like to build it pretty good.

You might want to start with basics before you modify the seadoo's. Start by making sure the compression is in the ideal high range of say 150 psi. Make sure the impeller wear ring is in great condition, because if it isn't it will rob you of pulling power from from the bottom end. Make sure the carbs are adjust properly too as it will rob you of power from idle to top end. If after all these things check out and you still want more power and speed than I would suggest that you look into performance products that will work together to help the area you desire for the most performance. An impeller will be one of the least expensive ways to go to gain either bottom power or top end speed. You can gain a lot of power and speed depending on how deep your pockets are. Remember with performance comes a trade off for economy of fuel too. Things to be changed will require some thought and sight of the final product. If you decide to change to different intake and larger carbs, than exhaust manifold and pipe along with a different water box will be required for maximum performance. Reliability will drop for everything you do and it will require more maintenance as well. Rule of thumb is if you want more fuel and air to enter the engine than it has to exit it too. If you want at complete package I would recommend you look in water craft magazines and look for after market companies that have the correct combination to make the end result what you want and not just buy mix and match products that don't work together. If you need any more advise give us a shout and I'm sure you get a response form our large group of active members.
Karl

Good post!

:agree: Karl has made some very good points in helping you gain extra power for your Doo......Knowing Karl was once a "mod" racer, he failed to mention one thing. Engine life. You can expect that with all the mods you do to increase horsepower, there does come a lot of extra maintenance. But the worse part of that maintenance, is that you'll be doing an engine rebuild a lot earlier on the "mod" machine than you will the stock machine........

Typical, under maintenance comes the clause that part of that as a modified machine is replacement of parts and rebuilds. Modified engines are like small children, they need lots of attention.

ScubaDoo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back