Newbie with problems like an ex-wife, lol

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

fullmaxx

I'm new to the board and jet skiing. I have picked up a 1997 Seadoo GTI for $500.00 that runs great but needed a pto coupler and drive line. I tried it out today at a local lake with no success other than getting dumped in the lake.

Last edited by a moderator:
what kind of problems? do you mean it was running ok and you just have to learn to ride it?

you have to approach it in stages, first stage is to leave the ski on the trailer and sit on it while a friend pulls you real fast around the parking lot. you'll be making 90 degree turns at full throttle in no time.

lol I mastered riding it in the garage. The ski seemed to not want to go as if it was drawing air and not pushing water. I think i found the problem earlier because i didn't have the coupler back far enough on the drive line when I replaced it creating a leak.:banghead:

So it sounds like a cavitation issue. What shape is the impellar and wear ring in? We replaced the wear ring on our 96 GTI, which seemed to be working just fine, and the speed on it increased from about 41 MPH to 47 MPH.

PTO coupler??? Are you talking about the carbon ring? It's inside a rubber bellows.

Lou

Yes, I didn't have the carbon ring seated properly. But now I do and I hope this fixes the problem. The wear ring appears to be fine.

Hi,

I see you're in Lexington, where do you ride? I'm usually at Sunset Marina, Herrington Lake, most weekends. PM me.

Lou

I actually live in Nicholasville. I dont get to ride much right now, but I hope to as soon as I get this thing straightened out. I also will be going to Herrington Lake as well. I'll use either Herrington Marina or Pandora

I've got a 96GTI same engine, pump, etc. On a good day calm water, 55mph, usually about 52-53mph (indicated).

Lou

I'm only getting around 45 mph. Does anyone know why the fuel gauge will only move barely above empty when it's full of fuel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our Seadoo boat fuel gauge didn't work. My son found a thread that talked about it. I believe there were 3 items to check. One of the possibilities was the float being partially full of fuel. Sounds like something like that would give a false reading like you are experiencing. The other two options were a stuck float or a blown fuse in the tube. Ours was the blown fuse and our son followed the instructions and got ours working again.

In my experience it's been the float, if you get a new float get the newer style molded, it will work on older skis.

Lou

If the gauge is moving at all, it is not the fuse. And the fuse I am speaking of is not your normal fuse like you have for the other electronics. If you find the thread it will give you all the info needed, with photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back