newbie needs help buying !

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

yoquedo

I'm having a hard time deciding between a Challenger 180 and a Utopia 205. Other than design, what other differences should I consider ? I have an 05 Utopia (240hp) I'm looking at - with GPS and depth for $16,5 K . (no tower of coarse) The boat seems to be mint ! It has 30+ hours on it. Has SeaDoo made any major improvements since the 05 model ? Is this $16,5 k price good , fair, bad ?

There are a few major differences between the C180 and the 205 Utopia.

First the C180 has the newer 4-tec engine in it so you do not have to worry about adding two-stroke oil, there will be no smoke and less noise. Second the 205 will dwarf the little Challenger. There is a major difference in room in the two boats. Also the Utopia will be a much drier ride on a choppy day. As far as maintenance the Challenger will be much cheaper for things like impellers and wear rings, as well tune-ups. Both the 4-tec and the Mercury are extremely complex fuel injected engines so doing your own trouble shooting if there is a problem may be out of the question. With that in mind, which ever boat you're considering make sure there is a shop within a reasonable distance for repairs. A Mercury dealer for the Mercury powered boat, and a Sea-Doo dealer for the Challenger. Most Sea-Doo shops are not capable of working on the Merc, so keep that in mind.

Take into consideration where you will store the boat and what you are going to tow it with. The Challenger will fit in any standard garage, but the Utopia will be too long for most. The Challenger being lighter and smaller will also be the easier of the two to tow.

As for newer Utopias, in 06 the went to the twin 4-tec engines in them in place of the Mercury. These boats have a bigger swim platform due to the lower profile of the engines, and as stated earlier, no two-stroke smoke, noise, have the closed loop cooling system and can be serviced by any Sea-Doo dealer. They also tend to take a bit of a jump in price, but many people feel it is worth it.

Aaron:cheers:

Thanks Rookie101 !!! I guess I'd better look maybe for a 2006 and newer then.

You don't have to pass up a good deal on an 05 or older if you find it. Just be sure to have the boat checked over by a qualified Mercury mechanic. I've never had a problem with my Merc and have nothing but good things to say about it. You just need to do your research before you purchase anything.

Aaron:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back