New WSM Cranks?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been a WSM dealer longer than most, I believe I signed up with them in 1999 so I have some unique insights into the company, I and Dan Bourdon over at PWCT were directly responsible for getting the HX shock boots remade by WSM a few years back.

Years ago WSM had a division called New York Crankshaft, they had rebuilt shortblocks and cranks just like SBT, I installed many of them without ever having a single issue, which is a lot more than I can say about SBT engines, then low and behold SBT swooped in and bought out that part of the company from WSM.

Apparently in with the agreement they signed a noncompeting clause because for years they didn't sell any crankshafts new or otherwise except for HotRods cranks.

Then about two years ago crankshafts started appearing in their catalogs both new and rebuilt, their program for the rebuilt cranks works a little different than SBT's, you pay a $250.00 deposit when you purchase the crank, when you send the crank back you get your deposit back.

This is both good and bad depending on how you look at it, SBT has regularly dinged me for $25.00 a week till I sent their core back, most times it isn't an issue but sometimes in the middle of Summer two weeks just is not enough time for me to get a core back to them.

So for me I would rather pay the $250.00 core fee up front, at least I know I will get all my $250.00 back, the SBT core fees are just a nuisance as far as I am concerned, for most people that program probably works just fine.

So far I have never had an issue with a rebuilt crank or shortblock from WSM, I have never used one of their new cranks so I cannot comment on those one way or another .

I understand their new cranks are a very good option.
I would not, however, touch one of their rebuilt crankshafts.

Last edited:
There is a core charge but you just ship your old one back in the factory box and they will refund it back to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back