New To Me 1995 Speedster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

RStuart

Hey guys, first post here. Just bought a 1995 Seadoo Speedster. This is my first jet boat. I would like to make this thing as dependable as I can. I did a compression test on both motors. One is right at 150psi and the other is right around 135psi. I intend on running the boat the rest of this year and doing work on it over the winter. I am new to jet boats so I really have no idea everything that needs serviced/ repaired. I do have a set of wear rings and intend on redoing the upper end of the motor with the lower compression. Can anyone give me any other things I should be looking at for wear/replacement? Thanks in advance!

If it runs good you shouldn't need to worry about rebuilding the carbs, but if you do rebuild them, ONLY use the Genuine Mikuni carb kits. You might want to look at replacing the carbon seals and bellows if they haven't been done. OSD sells all that stuff, including a thicker stainless top hat to put more pressure on the carbon seals. The exhaust pipes tend to leak from the welch plugs rotting out, so if they leak, you can have them welded up nicely. There's a lot of really good info here in the forums, but like most forums, people have seemed to migrate over to Facebook groups (which suck IMO).

I hate Facebook. I’m too old for that *#%!. Exhausts have already been welded. Had it out a few times. Seemed to struggle getting up on plane but once it did it was okay. Last time I had it out after a while the motors would get up to rpm but it just wouldn’t go. I am in the process of rebuilding the jet pumps and putting new impellers and wear rings in. Hope I am on the right track.

I really enjoy this boat and don’t mind fixing the things that were neglected on it. I intend to fix it up, make it reliable and maybe sell it in a few years and upgrade to something newer. I really like the Scarab jet boats.

New wear rings are arriving today. I hope they fit. The ones that were given to me when I bought the boat were too big and there was a pretty good gap between the new impellers and the new wear rings. Ordered the wear rings from the same place I got the impellers so I am crossing my fingers that they will be correct. Going to put everything back together to it’s and tomorrow and take it out this weekend. I will be disappointed if this doesn’t fix my issue.

Update: New impellers and wear rings installed. Went from top speed of 36 mph with 3 in the boat to 48 mph with 3 in the boat. Major improvement all around. Still noticing some power loss after towing a tube for about an hour. Could this be due to engines getting hot? Compression is 150 on starboard and 135 on port. Water comes out of pee holes. All in all, I am happy with the way this boat performs. Still a few things to fix:
1. Scupper valve upgrade
2. Gas gauge
3. Oil level sight glass is missing
4. Add gps speedo
5. Bimini top
6. Stereo
7. New seat covering
8. Deck mats
9. Rebuild top end of port motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back