New steering cable in!!! Booo new problem......

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepmiller09

Ok I got the new steering cable installed and sweet baby it fixed my problem. Now of course there has to be a new problem. So I go to turn the bars and A) the alignment is way off, B) the nozzle and side panels stop moving before I am done moving the handle bars. Is that due to alignment??? I can feel it the handle bars tighten up and then something slips up front when the paddles and jet stop moving. Any ideas?? Hoping to take it out for the first time tomorrow!

When you installed the new cable did you carry out the alignment check and adjust the cable as necessary to do it.

how do you do this. Is it the knob in the front of the jet ski? I can turn the jet all the way to the right but when I put the Left handle all the way down to go left I the Jet will only go to the center of the jet ski..... I tried to readjust the screw on metal that you bolt through in the front and the back and still no luck. I have twisted the knob a couple time clock wise and I didn't see any improvement. I doubled checked the steering cable and its for a 2003 gtx 4-tech s/c which is what I have.... Grrrr is the simple things that I hate. Looking for help or the dealership gets paid :(

Okay, if you get a manual it would probably be alot easier.

But,

1, Disconnect the cable from the handlebars. (dont take it out of the support just disconnect the end)
2, Get the handlebars straight and the nozzle straight so this is the neutral straight ahead steering, obviously at the moment the cable doesnt reach the connection.
3, At the cable support (this is the handlebar end that is still holding the cable) loosen retaining bolts and turn adjustment nut the way that takes the cable towards the connection.
4, Hopefully that is all that is required. If you need to fine tune it or get a little more at the nozzle end you can adjust the rodend with its locking nut but make sure you still have a good amount in the rodend so its not loose. May also be able to do that to the rodend at the handlebars.

http://fiche.seadoowarehouse.com/se...ype=13&make=seadoopwc&A=142&B=27&modelid=2003 Sea Doo PWC GTX 4 TECH SUPERCHARGED HANDLEBAR ASSY. W/ STEERING ASSY.
The adjustment nut is by item 49 which is retained by 61 and associated bolts (those are the ones to loosen).

Last edited by a moderator:
I stop at the seadoo dealership and the tech said I installed the lock washer, half moons, and rubber washer wrong. He said he could see the cable slipping. I put the 2half moons together with the smaller end facing the back placed it in the nut then placed the rubber washer ontop of that holding the 2 half moons in the nut. Then I put it all on the shaft untill it wouldn't slide any further and screwed it in. Did I mix something up? So I am taking it home to do it all over.

What the mechanic said is right, if the half moon arent locking the cable in place your gonna have the cable shifting in one direction only.

Ok then did I put them together wrong? All I did was slide them all together in the order I posted above and slipped them on till they stopped but didn't force it any further. Or could it be I didn't screw the screw in far enought?

The nut will only screw in so far, the half moons have one end that hooks into a recess in the cable to hold it in place. Not just slipped over the end.

The nut will only screw in so far, the half moons have one end that hooks into a recess in the cable to hold it in place. Not just slipped over the end.

Ok thank you. But does the half moons go inside the retaining nut then? Sorry for all the questions I want to make sure I have all the answers so I don't have to put it off a 3rd time.

Yes they do also remember the seal that goes in there too otherwise it will leak water into your hull.

Did you look at the link in an earlier post it shows them before the nut.

Yeah I did. I put the half moons into the nut, then put the rubber washer in then slide it on the metal rod till it wont slide any more and then screw it in until the nut wont screw go in any more. Ill give it another shot. Maybe I didn't screw the nut in enough.

Yea thats not quite right, put the seal in its place then clip the half moons onto the cable where they belong, there is a cutout part for the moons to hook into, then slide the nut over and screw it all in. To see the cutouts you will need to pull the cable out the back a bit more to expose it so you can hook them in.

Ok here is the steering cable with nothing on it. I believe this where the moons need to be around the area that becomes less thick Steering cable.jpg
Here is it with the Half moons and the rubber seal in front of the the moons steering cable w half moons and rubber washer.jpg
Here is it all complete with the screwSteering cable complete.jpg

The last time I did this I didn't set it up this way I just put it all in the screw and then slid it on the cable. So I hope this fixes my problem. Also I noticed I didn't screw the nut in all the way either. So I hope this above with the screw in all the way tight is the correct set up.

Thanks
Miller

That looks to be right, still may need to play with alignment setup to get 100% but you should at least be able to turn both directions now.

IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for you help Wenier!!!! it all look straight so I am going to take it out on the water tomorrow to see if I need to do any fine tuning! All I need to do it turn the knob up front correct? Or do I need to disconnect the rear and then turn the knob?

If it is only a tiny bit off and you have room to adjust the nozzle rodend you may be able to make the adjustment there if required, otherwise up the front.

If you do the rodend make sure you still have positive thread engagement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back