New speakers on 2010 210 Challenger SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhziii

Hey guys. I have tried searching but couldn't find my answer. My question is this - if I just replace the 4 speakers with new (better than the Jensen) will I be able to notice the difference or will I also have to replace the head unit?

I have never been satisfied with the stocks speakers and I have heard some JBL 6200's and thought about replacing it with those.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks

You will notice a big difference. The jensen speakers are crap. You would notice a bit more with a new head unit, but the best bang for your buck will be speakers first. The JBL's are a great choice.

When you listen to the jensen speakers they will sound fine, that's until you hear really good speakers in the same boat to compare. Night & day difference. To put it simply I was stunned by the difference in my boat.

The limitation for the head unit will be its power output to the speakers. I made the upgrade decision when the volume along with some tunes cut out the head unit. Subsequently it died shortly after(14mths old!!).

Don't forget if you upgrade the head you will need new remotes as well.

Good luck!

So besides the JBL? What would be some other options for the speakers? I don't mind paying a little extra if it will make the difference. At this point I don't feel like replacing the head unit yet. I would rather upgrade the speakers now and mess with the head unit later.

see my post a couple down "c180 finally complete".
Can't praise these high enough. But it will cost!

hey guys...so I finally went out today to check out the new JBLs. I disconnected one and plug it in and to be honest I didn't sound that much better. I only did one...what do you think? Do I need a new head unit or an amp? It looks like all head units are 50w x 4 which is the same as the Jensen. Thoughts?

more watts with a new head will usually only increase volume. Clarity is a function of speakers, good head units or amps will separate the sound better if you have separate sub & tweeters. I don't know about jbls. Think about it this way. The audio components are links in a chain. The sound will only be as good as the weakest link. Listen to a high end set up with your speakers if you can. Then upgrade bit by bit until you're happy with the result.

I did a trip down to Eltham as recommended by davo. His advice was as everything is brand spanking in my boat the best addition to be to do the amp install first then add to it down the track with speakers etc. he recommended the westsounds micro as it may be possible to mount it in behind the Jensen hu.

Did you actually mount the speaker and listen or just pull the wires out and hook it up and leave it sitting there? I would expect it to sound a lot better really. Like Davo said, more power usually just makes it louder. A good head unit where you can actually adjust the sound makes a big difference too.

just done something really stupid...
Bought a couple of Rev 8s for the tower. OMG
Missus finds out I'm gone!!!
Post pics when up & running.

Okay...so here is where I am as of today. I am looking at buying the JBL MA6004 amp to push the new JBL speakers. For now leaving the Jensen head unit.

My concern now is do I need to add a second battery or just stay with one? Thoughts on that?

I just use the one battery, but I have a voltmeter to keep an eye on the battery in case. I'm no expert, but if you're not playing the stereo for hours and hours with the engine off in one hit you should be ok I think.

With the boat running, you will be fine. Where it becomes a problem is if you like to sit and listen to music. That is why I added a 2nd battery. We anchor places and sometimes sit for a few hours. It is nice to know the boat will always start back up.

We like to sit and listen to music and let the kids swim and snorkel, but I usually turn the boat on every 30-60 minutes. That is why I was considering the 2nd battery, but the sea doo dealer didn't think it would be a problem when I called and asked them.

I received my amp today...question for you guys is should I have a car stereo place install the speakers & amp or have the seadoo dealer install it when I take it for my yearly maintenance?

neither, do it yourself..lol. If you insist on paying someone, personally i would go to a custom audio shop before a sea too dealer.

I figured you guys would say do it yourself...problem is I have never done anything like that before. There is a place down the road that installs car audio and they said to bring it by for an estimate.

So the speakers and amp were installed today. What a difference!!! Now I need to test it out while running the boat. Thanks for all the input. I'll post a pic of the amp install later.

Here is a pic of the amp. I had it installed in the compartment in front of the driver.

IMG_1592.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back