new ski 2018 gti carbon seal leaking as new

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

motoring

question i have a 2018 gti 130, does anyones ski have a carbon seal as new as mine that leaks after a few hours of run time( like a fine spray) i figured the carbon seal was leaking i called dealer and they told me carbon seals are dry so they dont leak so i said okay and found that my bilge /reverse system has elbows that are spraying all over also, but i put a shield over them and now i found the carbon seal, back to carbon seal is spraying water also..carbon seal leaking as i expected
there is a mist coming out at idle with a little bit of throttle this is when ski is on trailer tied down . but after a day of running the mist turns into a salt depost or like a powdering all over the motor and the entire rear of the engine compartment ...................... question ..... does the 2018 come with a plastic shield to contain the small amount of spray that is bing tossed all around the engine compartment. ??????????? my 1996 and 1997 has a shield so if those shiis leaked a little i would have never known . but i did notice that there is a spray inside the shields on the 1996 and 1997 skiis .on my 2018 i noticed there were spray all over the place leading out from the carbonn seal area, if my 2018 had a shield i would not have salt deposit all over my entire engine compartment. !!!!!!!!!!
the problem i know im going to hear is that i ran it on the hose to long without cooling the carbon seal warping the stainless steel part which is why its leaking . and the fact is i never run it for more then 30 secounds so i wonder how much that will cost. i bought new so i dont have to do this go figure. with 50 hours now total.. im hoping there a missing shield and why dont they put on a shield if infact mine isnt missing . i can tell my 1996 and 97 have them and they certainly contain the spray.

Dealer needs to do engine alignment check
You shouldn’t get any water coming in
Engine could be to far forward therefore not enough pressure on carbon seal to seal while ski under way

thanks the reverse bildge system is working correctly , in reverse the hose fills up with water and the elbow at the top on each reverse/bildge line sprays into the compartment one of those lines was squirting on the hull wall and then misting and then covering the whole motor in a salt water bath . crap design . so i put a shield around elbow so the salt water at least dont mist up and will comes done on the bildge strainer / checkvalve. id like to be able to get elbows with a nipple and small out to spray outside the hull. ( service manager said he will remove my shield to make it right and i shouldnt be using reverse so long) the operater manual tells you to use reverse just as i am to help get the seewead out the pump lol,,,,, if anyone has to check anything on there ski running in water put it in reverse and watch the water spray all over from the vent hole at the elbow fitting ,lol how nice. AND THEN I FOUND CARBON SEAL LEAKING I BOUGHT A NEW SKI BECAUSE IM TO OLD AND TIRED OF FIXING THINGS, THE NEXT THING IS THE SHOP I BOUGHT IT FROM THE SERVICE MANAGER IS DIFFICULT I CALLED HIM THE FIRST MONTH OF USAGE AND HE TOLD ME CARBON SEALS ARE DRY THEY DONT LEAK LOL. AND TOLD ME YOU CANT USE REVERSE AS YOU TOLD ME FOR SO LONG THE BILDGE WONT WORK, LOL , I DID BUY A NEW ELECTRIC PUMP AS A BACK UP BUT THEY WANTED ME TO PICK UP SKI A MONTH EARLIER THEN I WANTED SO I DID THAT AND I GOT THE SKI WITH THE ELECTRIC PUMP SITTING IN THE BOX LOL ETC ETC ETC THE SKI IS IN THE SHOP FOR 8 DAYS AND NO PHONE CALL AS TO WHATS UP. I SHOULD HAVE FIXED MY THREE 97 GTIS WHICH IM STARTING TO WORK ON I HAVE A FEELING THE NEW SKI WILL NEVER BE RIGHT . ALL THIS MONEY AND B.S. TO TRY TO HAVE FUN FOR TWO MONTHS OUT OF A YEAR ????? AND THE SERVICE MANAGER IS A WELL , I GUESS I SHOULDNT BE COMPLAINING LIFE IS TO SHORT SO WHAT IF THE NEW SKI GETS LOTS OF SALT ON THE ENGINE EVERY TIME I USE IT THE WHITE POWER LOOKS NICE AND THE MASSIVE SALT DEPOSITS MEANS I GET FREE SALT FOR DINER. OR THE SKI WILL SINK FUN FUN
I

I had a gti that had salt water leaking through the holes in seat
Engine always had salt build up on top
I sealed the set off with aluminum foil and tape to confirm

Good idea . Water always finds its way into the hull. I see salt comes out of the stiching on my seat also.
I tried to send photo thru my phone , didnt work . Another leak I found is the rubber seal on the storage lid the seal wasn't glued so it falls off at the ends then water get in . Another thing to fix. I love the ski but there's a lot of issues .

They will go forever as non supercharged, just do regular oil change , pull the pump once a year lub the impeller shaft splines and check for water inside pump

They will go forever as non supercharged, just do regular oil change , pull the pump once a year lub the impeller shaft splines and check for water inside pump
have you ever looked at carbon seal when engine is running with seat off ? im going to put pictures up on post because my seat and whole area is full of salt and i have seen it coming from carbon seal ! the dealer of coarse said no it because you went into reverse lol

Put some tin foil over the area obviously where I won’t get caught up with shaft

Tell the stealership that it came fitted with reverse so you use it but talking on water isn’t in the operators manual
They should do a engine alignment check as a minimum to see that it’s not out causing carbon seal not to run flush on the hat section

look at all the salt build up and this is with only 25 hours of run tim. the elbows are what many dealer dont even know water comes from when in reverse even my 1997 ski.look at the black stains in the hull thats from salt water? ( its the carbon seal) i didnt take carbon seal pictures yet. after three weeks i know the dealer didnt even put ski in water. i thought dealer that the hoses are suppose to leak in reverse the dealer said now way. now hes is telling me there suppost to spray ( your not suppose to drive in reverse) i said look at pg 109 that how the manual tell u to clear seawood , back and forth reverse and forward , its hard this guy is a sharp tongue know it all and was pissed after i told him i know i tough you , and then got really pissed and after i said if my picture prove carbon seal is leaking bring the ski to canada then. i guess dealers can get away with murder ... the small guy get a lemon and what to do i did call corparate and i told then the service guy is a wise ass they didnt like that so i hope for justice . tired of the little man getting screwed !!!!!!!!!! the ski is rotten looking already inside !!! this part may be a repeat but im to tired and pissed dont want to re do whole story i hope it makes sense ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, i said yes ( about water reverse tubes) i tought you that he said yea i learn something everyday. so i told him now i have to run it and take picture of the carbon Leaking if you see that the seal is leaking then what ????? can it be fixed , he said we been doing these long time bring the ski to canada then let them fix it. so what good is a warranty looks like i need a lawyer what good is a new ski what good is a warranty ???? seems like nothing any lawyers out there to take case ?????????

all the black streaks and salt deposits are whats coming from carbon seal if you made a circle coming from the seal its like the earth revolving around the sun....... i dont know why picture are coming out sideways one thing at time i got pictures to load that big!!!!!!

Last edited:
If I had a problem like this, I would storm in the dealer and make a scene. Definitely not normal and since you are in a salt water environment, your engine and components will be greatly affected.

Did you contact BRP directly?

i went into the dealer as
If I had a problem like this, I would storm in the dealer and make a scene. Definitely not normal and since you are in a salt water environment, your engine and components will be greatly affected.

Did you contact BRP directly?

i went into dealer a few times the service manager keep my ski for 3 weeks and of course left it out side and got it back in poor uncleaned condition. they simply dont want to fix it they told me to bring it to canada . ill leave more of the story as the owner of store wont answer the phone . who knows if they sabataged engine i cant bring it back etc etc i ran all seems well except the carbon seal

thanks the reverse bildge system is working correctly , in reverse the hose fills up with water and the elbow at the top on each reverse/bildge line sprays into the compartment one of those lines was squirting on the hull wall and then misting and then covering the whole motor in a salt water bath . crap design . so i put a shield around elbow so the salt water at least dont mist up and will comes done on the bildge strainer / checkvalve. id like to be able to get elbows with a nipple and small out to spray outside the hull. ( service manager said he will remove my shield to make it right and i shouldnt be using reverse so long) the operater manual tells you to use reverse just as i am to help get the seewead out the pump lol,,,,, if anyone has to check anything on there ski running in water put it in reverse and watch the water spray all over from the vent hole at the elbow fitting ,lol how nice...I

This is all wrong. There should be no water ever coming into the hull from the bilge hose elbows, even when in reverse. Pull your jet pump and check for 2 missing o-rings fo the bilge system. I've seen them missing on a 2018 that has never been serviced before I looked at it.

Chester

This is all wrong. There should be no water ever coming into the hull from the bilge hose elbows, even when in reverse. Pull your jet pump and check for 2 missing o-rings fo the bilge system. I've seen them missing on a 2018 that has never been serviced before I looked at it.

Chester
i like this a bit of controversy . i called a few service shop guys and 4 out of 5 said no water. i would like to ask people with the later model skis ( to check there elbow with ski in water and seat off hit reverse and watch the clear water lines to see if they stream out water please) the bildge pick up on my 2018 gti is not just a strainer its a checkvalve.( but my 1997 gtis 3 of them have just a black plastic strainer no check valve so i dont think they spray water from the elbow but i didnt check ) so when reverse handle is activated in reverse the clear lines get pressurized with water and the hole squirts water out. which depending on how the person putting ski together zip ties the hoses , and now the hole on each elbow randomly winds up facing is were the water sprays . if all the way in the back in the top corner you will never notice the water spraying out..but on mine they installed one of the hoses elbows squirting to the wall under the antifreeze overflow . water bounces of wall,and then creates i mist hence salt water everywhere . which if im right is pure garbage . i hope something isnt right but what . the o rings ill look for them a new ski and more work then anything . but i believe this crappy system is correct i redirected the water stream. and planning on getting eblow with a nipple to plum a small water line out side the hull... is anyone else famialer or notice this . i hope im 100 percent wrong , !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on top of that water leak ill call it i have a bad carbon seal misting droplets of water also ( my engine is already starting to rot the antifreeze pump the paint is already bubbling off . dealer dont care and the carbon seal is a wear item so no matter what the dealer want me to bring in ski ti charge me . and they say seadoo will never pay for a carbon seal even though i called the dealer after a few runs he said as above carbond seals are dry they dont leak and the dealer can tell seadoo its my fault anyway so i may as well give up and change it my self or just run it and let motor rot from outside in verses inside out i never win lol,,,, the bottom off my seat looks like a beehive hanging down but made out of salt. this ski is a disaster and the dealer is an extreme arrogant jerk.you cant talk to him hes so much a jerk. i called him after a few hours of run time and he tells me the carbon seal is a dry seal it wont leak so im back to have to completly learn every system and fix myself . warranty not even good toilet paper.

what work does the dealer have to do to ski before handing it over to customer ????? if one is the pump then ill bet your 100 percent right !!!!!!!!!!!! i cant trust this dealership they lie and or dont know shit except taking $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

i went into the dealer as

i went into dealer a few times the service manager keep my ski for 3 weeks and of course left it out side and got it back in poor uncleaned condition. they simply dont want to fix it they told me to bring it to canada . ill leave more of the story as the owner of store wont answer the phone . who knows if they sabataged engine i cant bring it back etc etc i ran all seems well except the carbon seal

i gave dealership i lot of chances im now waiting for brp to get back to me this is bull shit. most to all dealer will make you pay for a carbon seal these dealer didnt even look they play the game bring it it three weeks later we didnt anything its all good . my past experience with any machine car bike etc etc the manufacterer will always side with the dealer. or almost always. i knew when i droped of ski they werent going to fix shit . then the service manager said you cant run ski in reverse to long the bidge wont work . he has a story for every thing its all bull shit . the seadoo disk tells you to practice reverse when in safe open water. i went in trying to talk nice and he said we arent going to check the ski again bring it to canada let them look at it. so im now waiting for seadoo to get back to me.

Put some tin foil over the area obviously where I won’t get caught up with shaft

Tell the stealership that it came fitted with reverse so you use it but talking on water isn’t in the operators manual
They should do a engine alignment check as a minimum to see that it’s not out causing carbon seal not to run flush on the hat section
did you ever check to see why your seat is getting wet ??????? ill bet its your carbon seal simply run ski with seat of and also check to see if the reverse tube isnt spraying water. id like to know im not sure if my reverse is normal

I have a 2019 GTI 155 and with less thank 10 hours on it I noticed a black ring on the inside of the hull. Took it right back to the dealer and the service manager said he had just received a technical sheet from BRP for a recall on a bad batch of carbon rings. It even had a picture of the black ring. They replaced it as part of the recall. You may want to ask BRP about premature carbon ring failure.

I have a 2019 GTI 155 and with less thank 10 hours on it I noticed a black ring on the inside of the hull. Took it right back to the dealer and the service manager said he had just received a technical sheet from BRP for a recall on a bad batch of carbon rings. It even had a picture of the black ring. They replaced it as part of the recall. You may want to ask BRP about premature carbon ring failure.
my ski is only 6 months old its a left over , wow is their a number for the recall ???????? thats what my problem is but just got off phone with brp , totally useless the seadoo offical dont know anything about anything ( slicky slicky cant squeese blood from a stone strategy ) if he went to ride a ski he get on it backwards . if i have a recall number then all call them back why do i get a dealer and a brp whos overworked on sunday and even told me its only me today sorry to rush you but but but i said have a nice day click.

i recall number may help me enough as to ,i wont have to do the job myself.

my ski is only 6 months old its a left over , wow is their a number for the recall ???????? thats what my problem is but just got off phone with brp , totally useless the seadoo offical dont know anything about anything ( slicky slicky cant squeese blood from a stone strategy ) if he went to ride a ski he get on it backwards . if i have a recall number then all call them back why do i get a dealer and a brp whos overworked on sunday and even told me its only me today sorry to rush you but but but i said have a nice day click.

Sorry but I don’t have any recall information. All I was told was when I presented the issue that there is a TSB technical service bulletin for the issue.

i found one water leak was due to the bellows had shrunk new and old part had same part number stamped on it,, i did an engine alignment

Attachments

• PC060108.JPG
    PC060108.JPG
    853.3 KB · Views: 18
Sorry but I don’t have any recall information. All I was told was when I presented the issue that there is a TSB technical service bulletin for the issue.

If the engine bay looks like this , then this is premature carbon Ring failure and if your dealer has never seen this before they are not reading BRP official online forum.
a67cc8ba0f3010f794c797f0c279c03c.jpg
f54a6022cbaeb9e31fa5ed426cb9bfd3.jpg
4aa7e2b2bd49de1e7284b0788025bf64.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back