New member long time 2 stroke guy just bought a challenger 1800

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

snikwad003

Howdy folks. Seems like a nice site with some good info on it. Look forward to learning the ways of the rotax and the Canadian engineering(I perfer gearman) and getting this bad boy back in top shape. We had a 96 gtx when i was a kid and it was a blast. The challenger is my future wife's and my first big joint purchase and will probably be around for a while. Its in pretty good shape for a 20 year old boat, needs alot of buffing, alot of scrubbing, a few more interior pieces replaced, and alot more stereo. Only drove it for about an hour and a half total and runs good staying at WOT but when i got the old lady in it and was crusing at part throttle it fouled out the plugs in the right hand motor. Im pretty sure it is because the previous owner was worried about blowing his new motor up so he was running premix WITH oil injection.....got back to the ramp swaped the plugs in the right hand motor idled out of no wake and by then it fowled the left hand motor so we called it a day. I could not confirm that the right hand engine is oiling properly with the "smoke on the hose test". So i still have not drained the premix out of it. Im wondering if i cant tell the smoke test is working because it is running premix AND a properly working oil injection and is smoking too much to tell, but it really isnt smoking that much. The left hand engine is easy to tell it is working. So thats where im at now and im stoked to keep figuring this awsome machine out.

20160403_161950-1.jpg20160402_191816.jpg20160402_133646.jpg20160402_133623.jpg

Congrats on the purchase, looks like you have a good base to start with. Unless the guy over mixed the oil in the gas you should not foul plugs running pre mix and injection, at least I haven't. There is a procedure on oil pump alignment, it's possible he didn't do that when he re installed the engine. I've got a crazy schedule today but is you want to Google "787 oil pump alignment kicker" you should find a thread with some really nice pics from one of our members. If not I'll post them up later tonight. Welcome aboard!

I agree. I have never fouled plugs and have always premixed w/factory oil injection. I idle around a lot. (my ride, 99' speedster sk twin 717) Most of my driving is 3500-4200rpm. (wake board)

Currently, Raleigh/Fuquay Varina boarder.

Out of curiosity....does anyone know what lake that was?? Does not look like harris or jordan to me. Falls lake?!?! I need to expand my riding areas!

I agree. I have never fouled plugs and have always premixed w/factory oil injection. I idle around a lot. (my ride, 99' speedster sk twin 717) Most of my driving is 3500-4200rpm. (wake board)

Congrats on the purchase, looks like you have a good base to start with. Unless the guy over mixed the oil in the gas you should not foul plugs running pre mix and injection, at least I haven't. There is a procedure on oil pump alignment, it's possible he didn't do that when he re installed the engine. I've got a crazy schedule today but is you want to Google "787 oil pump alignment kicker" you should find a thread with some really nice pics from one of our members. If not I'll post them up later tonight. Welcome aboard!

What ratio are yous guys mixing at with your oil injection/premix combo? This idea is new to me, i would think the excess oil would lean out the air fuel mixture.

Welcome, where in NC are you?
Rob

Triad area and frequent Smtih Mountain Lake

Currently, Raleigh/Fuquay Varina boarder.
Out of curiosity....does anyone know what lake that was?? Does not look like harris or jordan to me. Falls lake?!?! I need to expand my riding areas!

Belews lake at the Piney Bluff ramp

1 more day........

Honestly speaking....i never mix it perfect. Its a good fail safe method. Chances are you will notice you have an issue before you blow your engine. For instance if i fill up 10 gallons i usually pour in 20-30oz of oil into the gas. Then i continue my drive to the lake. Typically 20 minutes....i assume its mixed "good enough" by then. I have never had an issue in the past 5 years doing this. I figure my mix is always between 40:1 and 60:1.

FYI. I always assumed it would lean the mixture out as well. Knock on wood i have never had an issue. When i rebuilt my carbs i usually run a quarter turn rich. I have a few hundred hours on my engines now and dont plan to rebuild them anytime soon.

-Dan

Honestly speaking....i never mix it perfect. Its a good fail safe method. Chances are you will notice you have an issue before you blow your engine. For instance if i fill up 10 gallons i usually pour in 20-30oz of oil into the gas. Then i continue my drive to the lake. Typically 20 minutes....i assume its mixed "good enough" by then. I have never had an issue in the past 5 years doing this. I figure my mix is always between 40:1 and 60:1.

FYI. I always assumed it would lean the mixture out as well. Knock on wood i have never had an issue. When i rebuilt my carbs i usually run a quarter turn rich. I have a few hundred hours on my engines now and dont plan to rebuild them anytime soon.

-Dan

not sure if "ballparking" the oil mixture is the best method :)

when I premixed I had a couple of these full & ready.

$7 at west marine/under 10 on fleabay

83.jpg

edit: just realized the discussion revolved around mixing for break in, nevermid.

Last edited by a moderator:
not sure if "ballparking" the oil mixture is the best method :)

when I premixed I had a couple of these full & ready.

$7 at west marine/under 10 on fleabay

83.jpg

edit: just realized the discussion revolved around mixing for break in, nevermid.

Its not for break. in the p/o pre mixed AND oil injection and i fouled plugs at low crusing rpm. I have not been able to confirm right hand engine oil injection working right via the hold oil injection lever full open for 30 seconds. Left hand engine is good but they both fouled plugs wet and black.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back