New cover and Bimini Sea Doo 230

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

turbosl2

I just received my boat back from my fathers friend who owns a boat Upolstry shop. He redid my Bimini with zippers to remove and made a 1 PIECE COVER to my specs.

Specs:
-Cover the swim platform to protect my seadek
-Cover as much fiberglass to rubrail as I can!
-Ability to install the cover while boat is already tied to the dock. This one was huge for me and the main reason for ditching the poppy cover.
- Access to my center cleet. Seems stupid but my cover did not have this
- Sunbrella with marine thread
- 1 piece preferably
- reinforced at windshield so I can leave the door open.
- no thru holes for poles

I am beyond happy. He put marine Velcro and snaps around each cleet. I can now leave all my lines amd fenders tied and put the cover on. It’s very wavey at our dock and 2-3’ rollers are not uncommon.

Now and before pics

65102405894__B895EE2B-F93D-4902-B4FE-3CC9CAA5560B.JPGIMG_0997.JPG

If it was a family friend I'm guessing maybe you got a good deal, but what did that run to make a whole new cover custom to your specs? Is it waterproof material?

My factory covers are starting to rip and I'm going to have to replace before too long. Was also thinking the one piece idea, something tight and strong enough to trailer with as well. No idea what a custom one costs though.

It was a family friend. It is sunbrella 10oz which is waterproof. The canvas on my last boat with this material was 25yrs old amd still dark black and going strong.
$1400 for the cover
$600 for Bimini

it was 2k but that’s how he was figuring it. It was a deal based on the material I wanted and how I wanted each cleat with marine Velcro around it amd a cover flap. Also required more snaps to cover my swim platform and the sides almost down to the rubrail. It def looks cleaner if you just cover the top and don’t wrap it around but IMO the gelcoat above the rubrail takes the most sun damage. Mine as well protect it best I can. Materials were $900 his end, including the UV marine thread, snaps amd Velcro. He said materials went up a lot compared to a couple yrs ago. I believe it was around 35-40yards of Sunbrella which I believe is around $25-30yrd depending on the width

Do you have some more pics you could throw up by any chance? Curious how you did the swim platform as well.

The trailering cover from Sea Doo does all of that, but it's not waterproof material either, I was thinking of using that as a template and having something made that is waterproof, etc.

Do you have some more pics you could throw up by any chance? Curious how you did the swim platform as well.

The trailering cover from Sea Doo does all of that, but it's not waterproof material either, I was thinking of using that as a template and having something made that is waterproof, etc.
Yes. This weekend when I visit the lake I will take some pics. I would say the custom cover fits exactly like the trailering cover with 4 differences
1.) each cleet accessible to install the cover with lines attached. E.g Velcro and snaps around the cleats.
2.) Snaps slightly above the rubrail. Not a strap with a ratchet below.
3.) Bildge lump hole exposed and not covered.
4.) Support poles snap onto cover from underneath. No longer have to string that erector set of lines from cleet to cleet and up to the front.

My boat sits in the water on a dock the entire summer in very rough conditions. The trailer cover is nice for on land but a real PITA on a dock getting that thing on and setup.

Yes. This weekend when I visit the lake I will take some pics. I would say the custom cover fits exactly like the trailering cover with 4 differences
1.) each cleet accessible to install the cover with lines attached. E.g Velcro and snaps around the cleats.
2.) Snaps slightly above the rubrail. Not a strap with a ratchet below.
3.) Bildge lump hole exposed and not covered.
4.) Support poles snap onto cover from underneath. No longer have to string that erector set of lines from cleet to cleet and up to the front.

My boat sits in the water on a dock the entire summer in very rough conditions. The trailer cover is nice for on land but a real PITA on a dock getting that thing on and setup.
Thanks, looking forward to seeing a little more detail on what you've done. My boat is always on the trailer unless we go a week somewhere and rent a slip.

Given that I have all the snaps from the factory two piece covers, I'm inclined to use those snaps, or go the route of the trailering cover that covers the entire rub rail, swim platform, etc. I can see the back being an issue if left in a slip though, as it does cover the bilge like you mentioned, and it would nearly be in the water I think.
I guess they must have made some changes, ours is a 2010 and our snap covers have the snap in poles already, I can imagine running string lines would be a nuisance!

Thanks, looking forward to seeing a little more detail on what you've done. My boat is always on the trailer unless we go a week somewhere and rent a slip.

Given that I have all the snaps from the factory two piece covers, I'm inclined to use those snaps, or go the route of the trailering cover that covers the entire rub rail, swim platform, etc. I can see the back being an issue if left in a slip though, as it does cover the bilge like you mentioned, and it would nearly be in the water I think.
I guess they must have made some changes, ours is a 2010 and our snap covers have the snap in poles already, I can imagine running string lines would be a nuisance!
Agreed. If your on a trailer IMO there is no need for the cover I had made. Spend the $700 and get another poppy cover. I really liked my trailer cover with the ratchet it’s just not a mourning cover and now I see why. I am prob going to run my poppy this winter when it’s in the garage still.

Agreed. If your on a trailer IMO there is no need for the cover I had made. Spend the $700 and get another poppy cover. I really liked my trailer cover with the ratchet it’s just not a mourning cover and now I see why. I am prob going to run my poppy this winter when it’s in the garage still.
The only problem is that a factory cover doesn't fit now because I added padding to the sunpad cushions to make them flat on the top, so even a new factory cover I'd have to modify... that's why it might be easier to make a whole new custom one piece I think.

Looking forward to seeing a few more pictures of yours though!

Here are the pics. Recognize I now have my rear hatch removed to work on the engine, this is why the cover has so much slack and the fenders are there temporarily just for water runoff. Otherwise it’s nice and tight IMG_1303.JPGIMG_1304.JPGIMG_1305.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back