Need Help 210 Merc will not start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryleland78

Ok here goes,

2000 Seadoo Jetboat Merc 210Hp M2 Jet drive

I used the boat for 2 weeks straight no issues starting.
One day used it for 3 hours and parked at my friends dock for an hour and came back and would not start.
Removed the stator, bench tested, no resistance on one side.
Replaced the stator & spark plugs.
Boat has spark on all cylinders. Still will not start.
Fired some mixed fuel into the carbs with throttle open. Boat will not even attempt to start.

Would it be the switch boxes? How do I test the switch boxes and how to test the stator while on the motor?

Need some direction, because I have no idea why it will not start.

Thanks in advance!

As you said it has gas and spark and still won't start.
Could it be flooded?
If not, then it is time for a compression test. I think.

As you said it has gas and spark and still won't start.
Could it be flooded?
If not, then it is time for a compression test. I think.
So I had a friend give me a hand and there is spark on both sides of the motor. The starboard side appears to have a stronger spark than the port side. Both sides have spark. We did a compression test and the starboard side was 120 in all 3 cylinders and the port side was consistent at 120 on all 3 cylinders. We pulled the gas line off before the electric fuel pump and there is gas, we then pulled the line off on the other side of the fuel pump and when cranking it over no gas comes out. If I blow into the fuel pump there are no problems???? So we then decided to open the throttle and spray mixed gas in the carbs, still nothing. Engine will not even make an attempt. Here is the strange part, when we were testing for spark, the starboard side had spark plugs in and port side had a few spark plugs out, when we were cranking for spark it wanted to start.

I am beginning to hate these 2 strokes.

Now I am lost!!!! Please help....

Did you get any further? I am having the exact same issue - i was running the boat fine a couple of weeks ago, i got out to the lake today an nothing - it turns over strong, but absolutely no attempt to fire up… fuel and spark are good….

So I had a friend give me a hand and there is spark on both sides of the motor. The starboard side appears to have a stronger spark than the port side. Both sides have spark. We did a compression test and the starboard side was 120 in all 3 cylinders and the port side was consistent at 120 on all 3 cylinders. We pulled the gas line off before the electric fuel pump and there is gas, we then pulled the line off on the other side of the fuel pump and when cranking it over no gas comes out. If I blow into the fuel pump there are no problems???? So we then decided to open the throttle and spray mixed gas in the carbs, still nothing. Engine will not even make an attempt. Here is the strange part, when we were testing for spark, the starboard side had spark plugs in and port side had a few spark plugs out, when we were cranking for spark it wanted to start.

I am beginning to hate these 2 strokes.

Now I am lost!!!! Please help....
Fuel pump- start by checking voltage for the pump at the connector. Beware- the ECU only runs the lift pump for about 20 seconds. Beware-again- the pump may not work if the polarity is wrong. Have you checked the pickup in the tank for blockage?

Have you checked the engine pulse pump for delivery? That is the small pump against the block on port side. Follow the hoses. This pump works by alternating pressure-vacuum pulses on a diaphram. These pumps do fail occassionally.

Ignition- Check your ground wires on the plate that holds the coils.

Got it … was the steering control. Was set-up wrong and disconnected… when i connected it up after buying the boat, it seems the linkage was set to have the carbs at wide open!!

something for you to check if you have a problem after connecting the slow speed steering control.

Got it … was the steering control. Was set-up wrong and disconnected… when i connected it up after buying the boat, it seems the linkage was set to have the carbs at wide open!!

something for you to check if you have a problem after connecting the slow speed steering control.

Yikes!
Cranking at wot! Good thing it would not start. Likely to have been a grenade.

Fuel pump- start by checking voltage for the pump at the connector. Beware- the ECU only runs the lift pump for about 20 seconds. Beware-again- the pump may not work if the polarity is wrong. Have you checked the pickup in the tank for blockage?

Have you checked the engine pulse pump for delivery? That is the small pump against the block on port side. Follow the hoses. This pump works by alternating pressure-vacuum pulses on a diaphram. These pumps do fail occassionally.

Ignition- Check your ground wires on the plate that holds the coils.
I replaced the CDI switch boxes and now have consistent spark. Before I found out I had spark sometimes. I have fuel and solid spark and it still won't make any attempt to start. Now I am thinking it is timing. Could anyone provide some diagrams of the following?

Wiring for stator to switch boxes - want to make double check everything
Trigger to switch box wiring diagram

How can I get the Merc 210 service manual? Need instructions on how to setup the timing.

Fuel pump voltage ok, and pulses when turn of key. No blockage in the tank.

I am thinking it is the timing because I have fuel flooding the spark plugs because it is not firing properly. Strong spark in all plugs.

I replaced the CDI switch boxes and now have consistent spark. Before I found out I had spark sometimes. I have fuel and solid spark and it still won't make any attempt to start. Now I am thinking it is timing. Could anyone provide some diagrams of the following?

How can I get the Merc 210 service manual? Need instructions on how to setup the timing.

I am thinking it is the timing because I have fuel flooding the spark plugs because it is not firing properly. Strong spark in all plugs.

If you become a premium member here, you can d/l the manual. Less than buying the manual.

Wiring to (almost) everything is pretty foolproof by the shape of the snap connectors.
Timing procedure is laid out in the manual. Best to have that in hand.

Did you remove the throttle cable or unhook the attachment arm from the trigger or mess with any of the set screws on that side of the engine? If not your timing shouldn’t be off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back