My unplanned summer project

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

DooGuy

Sorry for book but explains, figured would share incase someone might get something from this.

Right before the 4th, I hit a pretty good wake surf wave. About 30 seconds later oil alarm went off. Shut down immediately and checked fluids which both engines full and clean( oils was only month and half old)? started back up again and then felt engine vibration on starboard engine that wasn’t there before. Thought maybe sucked something as had a month earlier. Started going along and about 3,500 rpms oil alarm again. Repeated steps. Long story short limped back home and pulled it out, have been in slip. Got home and went thru steps. Pulled pumps. Tested spark thinking spark issue etc. finally after verifying electrical started thinking internal. Sucked the oil out and noticed what was looking new when I pulled out of water was now dark and glittery. Then I pulled the oil filter cap. The oil filter was crushed. Big o crap time. About this time I had to leave for two weeks and fix the house because we had scheduled paint crew and I had repairs I was doing. Fast forward. I pulled engine and pulled Pto. Oil sieve had silver and brass colored flakes, underneath was a whole lot of metal flakes. Likely a thrust washer/bearing let go. Inspected head and no damage indication anything made it up. Likely because run time from when alarm and tests was less than 15 minutes. Ordered a shortblock as don’t have time to mess with. Will keep as a winter project. I’m 3/4 thru assembly and hoping to have back in water Friday.crushed.jpgout.jpgfilter.jpgpto.jpgparts.jpgpreng.jpgeng1.jpg

So at this point will see who’s still with me, The only thing I’m trying to still think thru is alignment when I drop back in. I left the motor mounts in figuring it’ll help. But still not sure yet as don’t have tool. Thoughts on how todo without the tool?

Only have two shops in town that I know of that work on these and they have 1-2 month wait times.

Last edited:
that really sux. do you think the friction washers in the supercharger were ceramic and let go?

that is indeed a lot of copper. i would pull the bearing caps off the old engine to see what kind of damage is in there. i would also try to investigate what happened to your old engine so you can make sure you don't have that problem with the new one.

How many hours? Looks like you are a gearhead like me, which is a blessing and a curse.

Following this tread with interest.

Wow! Sorry about the failure but you’re quite ambitious for diving right in. I’m pretty mechanical but I’m not sure I would have the confidence to tackle it like you. I’m the type to buy a rebuilt motor and drop in, then spend the winter rebuilding the old one. But that’s a couple grand more in parts alone compared to you. Great pictures and thank you for posting. Gonna be following along too.

that really sux. do you think the friction washers in the supercharger were ceramic and let go?

that is indeed a lot of copper. i would pull the bearing caps off the old engine to see what kind of damage is in there. i would also try to investigate what happened to your old engine so you can make sure you don't have that problem with the new one.

Superchargers are good. They’ve been rebuilt with metal. Slippage is still in spec too.

Pretty sure the thrust bearing let go from the type of shavings, I’ll be opening it up later to rebuild. I’m confident that it’s isolated in the block. Inspected head per the book guidelines to check etc.

How many hours? Looks like you are a gearhead like me, which is a blessing and a curse.

Following this tread with interest.

Not as many as you think, getting out was a pain in the butt. The drive shaft c clip didn’t want to reveal itself or want to come off. Once the engine was out took me about an hour to tear it apart. Assembly is taking longer because it’s almost 100 out and don’t have ac in the garage. And I ran out Loctite so had to run to parts store. I’d estimate total hours if actual work from removal to now about a 4-5 hours. Biggest delays are health stuff etc. have a bad back, waiting for disc fusion etc.

Wow! Sorry about the failure but you’re quite ambitious for diving right in. I’m pretty mechanical but I’m not sure I would have the confidence to tackle it like you. I’m the type to buy a rebuilt motor and drop in, then spend the winter rebuilding the old one. But that’s a couple grand more in parts alone compared to you. Great pictures and thank you for posting. Gonna be following along too.

Bought the shortblock for about $2k plus almost $500 in parts(front and rear oil pumps, ring gear, output coupler, carbon seal). Still cheaper than most complete engines. Plus completes are hard to find. I’ve done truck engines before so figured I should jump in. The book is an absolute and it helps having YouTube University avail as well.

Bought the shortblock for about $2k plus almost $500 in parts(front and rear oil pumps, ring gear, output coupler, carbon seal). Still cheaper than most complete engines. Plus completes are hard to find. I’ve done truck engines before so figured I should jump in. The book is an absolute and it helps having YouTube University avail as well.
Great info. I have the shop manual, which is nice. Takes me back to the old Chilton/Hanyes manuals and rebuilding jeeps when I was a yute. I guess IC engines are similar in that once you know how they work, same principles apply across many motors. Having the shop manual for all the details is key. YouTube U has been awesome too.
also, the delay for taking it to a dealer/shop is crazy right now! And this late in the season, you’re likely to lose out on the last month of warm weather. Keep the pics and info coming!!

My buddy had the same thing happen to him on his 2012 150. Thrust washer failed and his oil filter looked exactly the same.
I am interested in what you buddy determined the root cause of the failure was? Did he break an engine mount? Bad alignment?

It makes me nervous when I hear of these because I have a 2011 150. I firmly believe that usually these failures are from incorrect or asymmetrical forces on the crankshaft.

I am interested in what you buddy determined the root cause of the failure was? Did he break an engine mount? Bad alignment?

It makes me nervous when I hear of these because I have a 2011 150. I firmly believe that usually these failures are from incorrect or asymmetrical forces on the crankshaft.

I believe his impeller came loose after a swap. There was a loud bang and lurch and then the boat died. There must have been some force on the driveshaft or driveline that damaged the thrust washer. He had a collapsed oil filter with brass colored shavings.

Well after a few mishaps, new stretch screw snapped in the flywheel while torquing and the new primary oil pump shaft was out of spec to fit in the gear, little midnight manual machining. And finding out the service manual had a bolt wrong in the instructions for the Pto( spent almost two hours trying to find the bolt because the book said 12 of a specific and there were actually only 11 the 12th is a different size. IMG_6597.JPGIMG_6583.JPGIMG_6585.JPGIMG_6594.JPG

I’ve finally have her back together and ready to drop back in the boat in the morning.

Well after a few mishaps, new stretch screw snapped in the flywheel while torquing and the new primary oil pump shaft was out of spec to fit in the gear, little midnight manual machining. And finding out the service manual had a bolt wrong in the instructions for the Pto( spent almost two hours trying to find the bolt because the book said 12 of a specific and there were actually only 11 the 12th is a different size.

I’ve finally have her back together and ready to drop back in the boat in the morning.

How the heck does a screw snap off like that!?! (rhetorical, I’ve done it before too)

impressive and looking great! Are you just following along with the shop manual? Any tips/tricks/things you learned that aren’t in the manual (like the 12th bolt issue)? I know you’re putting in long hours and want to be back on the water, so take your time getting back to the board!

Great stuff; keep it up and good luck!

Long Friday and Saturday getting the engine finished and then reinstalled. Much respect to those who make a living working on these. I’ll stick to my desk job in future.

GPTempDownload.jpg

That looks great. Exactly what i have in mind. Thanks!

I’d wait until their sale in fall/winter save a few hundred off their kit. Follow them on Facebook and they’ll usually post when it’s time. I also bought the swim deck kit so have full bow to stern. The kit is nice because every piece is custom cut. Took carpet snaps out and filled with marine sealant then after that was an Hour to clean and lay it down.

I’d wait until their sale in fall/winter save a few hundred off their kit. Follow them on Facebook and they’ll usually post when it’s time. I also bought the swim deck kit so have full bow to stern. The kit is nice because every piece is custom cut. Took carpet snaps out and filled with marine sealant then after that was an Hour to clean and lay it down.
Thats great advice. Ill keep an eye out. Much appreciated brother

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back