My new SeaDoo, well sorta!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

LouDoo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Well I've been perusing Craigs List looking for a winter project, specifically a 4-tek SeaDoo, like an early GTX. So looking through the lists today I came to the realization that for about the same amount of money I could get a boat. To be honest both myself and my wife are old farts and we already have a 20' pontoon. With a top speed of about 20mph on a good day it's just too slow. So we kinda decided even though we're old we're not old enough for a pontoon.

Well anyway I found a mint 2000, 18' Bayliner Capri run-about, except for a couple a dock rash spots this thing is mint, cash talks and it's now sitting in my driveway, going to the lake in the morning.

I'll take some pictures in the morning and post them.

This is not the boat but it looks like this.

Lou

Attachments

• img_101498_0_070320091713_0.jpg
    img_101498_0_070320091713_0.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 41
Old farts??? Come on Lou fifty years strong!!!!
Congratulations on the new boat.
Sent from my Samsung GALAXY S4 using Tapatalk 2

TRAITOR !!!!!

You are here-by banished from the seadoo forum, and of it's territories !!!

Sorry... I thought it was funny.

Congrats on the toy, but an I/O? It's not going to ride the same as a small jet, where you can throw it around like an oversize jetski. Just remember:

1) put that thing up, before trying to get it out of the water !!!! I was helping a new boater the other day, and he whacked the I/O HARD !! I told him to put it up, and he thought he did. But he only ran the trim up. (some have a high trim, and a separate TRAILER UP position)

2) NEVER RUN IT OUT OF WATER !!! I'm assuming that you got a Bravo 1 outdrive. But regardless... the water pump impeller is rubber, and if they are run dry, you will roast it. On that note, get yourself some "Ear muffs" so you can run it at home on the hose.

3) If you have the grand kids out with you, and are swimming... be aware that the prop, and other outdrive parts can be sharp.

Anyway... I agree with the pontoon. We liked our little sportster, but the wife always wanted more room to bring guests with us. BUT... we didn't want to have a slow barge either. As you know... 3 years ago... when the second kid was on her way, we sold the Sportster. AND... after a year of not finding an islandia, I started looking/thinking of a pontoon. There were some, that were smaller, and had 3 toons under it. AND, they could support 150 hp. BUT... I still didn't want to deal with an outboard or I/O.

Anyway... congrats again, and post up some pics when you get home.

*******EDIT*****

A couple points of maintenance:

1) The water impeller should be changed every few years, to make sure you don't overheat. If it hasn't been done, you should do it this fall, when you winterize.

2) The thermostat should also be changed.

3) When you winterize, you need to change the oil in the lower I/O. AND... you want to use real marine (Quicksilver) gear oil. Unlike automotive gear oil... it has additives that will hold water in suspension, so the gears will still get lubed. It's a little expensive, but not too bad. (about $9~$12 qrt)

Last edited by a moderator:
They sell impellers that are neoprene and MUCH more durable than rubber impellers.

I tested them for the military years ago and had great success. Even ran one dry for 12 minutes and ran hoses externally over the motor to keep it cool enough for the test. Pulled the impeller and it was showing signs of wear but was fully usable.

Much like your out drive on the pontoon boat. If you catch a bag and do over heat change the T-stat at the same time you change the impeller. They never seem to survive a dry run to the point you trip the sensor.

Congrats in the purchase. Hope you can enjoy it before the end of the season.

We went to the lake today, what a great day, no problems at all, the boat ran great. The boat is now residing at Sunset Marina, in a covered slip on a boat lift. From what I could tell, my wife only let me open it up a couple of times it runs about 43-45mph. The boat has a Mercruiser Alpha 1, with a GM or Volvo, not sure, 3.0 liter engine.

Anyway here's a few pictures.

Lou

Attachments

• 100_0770.jpg
    100_0770.jpg
    958.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 100_0771.jpg
    100_0771.jpg
    856.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 100_0772.jpg
    100_0772.jpg
    966.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 100_0773.jpg
    100_0773.jpg
    740 KB · Views: 41
Thanks, I can't verify the speed, that's what the speedometer was reading, it's a PTO pickup, which is even less accurate than a SeaDoo. I'll check it sometime with the GPS.

Lou

........ The boat has a Mercruiser Alpha 1, with a GM or Volvo, not sure, 3.0 liter engine.

Lou

The favorite 4cyl engine for most of those boats was the old "Iron Duke" GM engine. It was used everywhere for a long time. BUT... Mercruiser took it from it's original 2.5L to a 3.0L in the late 90's. But... it could also be a massaged Ford "Pinto" engine. Post a pic of the engine when you get a chance. AND... there should be a tag with a serial number for both the engine and outdrive. Post them, and that will tell me exactly what you have.

Thanks, I can't verify the speed, that's what the speedometer was reading, it's a PTO pickup, which is even less accurate than a SeaDoo. I'll check it sometime with the GPS.

Lou

Just to get your terminology correct..... that's a Pitot tube. :thumbsup: It's the little dangly thing off the transom. (and I don't mean you taking a wiz. LOL)

Looks great! I'm sure you will have a blast. If you want to sell the Pontoon... give Big Jake a yell.

The old "Iron Duke", it thought it looked familiar, actually I know that engine well. That engine was used in a lot of industrial applications, we actually had one in a railroad speeder, had one in an S-10 truck, and in a boat I had years ago. I guess it just looks a little different with the fancy valve cover and a different distributor. It's a very good engine kinda like my 96GTI very reliable not so great on performance.

Lou

Back