My boat was fixed! Than it died? Now it sounds like a car trying to turn over?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

factory81

My boat got a new neoprene seal, a skat trak or whatever impeller, resealed the pump. They resealed the ride plate.

I have an impelled that is 14-21.5 and it kicked BUTT. Let me tell you the boat was running great.

Than we got behind a boat to try and ride their wake right? I hit it and well "plump", engines off....

I try and turn it back on...it tries to roll over a few times. Than it stops rolling over and just does the "click" like as if you had a car with low battery voltage.

The boat still puts out 2 beeps when you put the DESS key in, and you just sit and hit the start button and it keeps clicking, not turning over.

I coudl touch the engine with my hand and it wasn't too hot. There are no steam issues or cavitation issues anymore.

But the boat just died...right in the middle of "the highway". So we flagged a boat down and got towed to the nearest dock. Taxi cab back to my vehicle, and come home to try and start it out of the water....same problem.

Should I take a voltage meter and check the battery out? Could there be a bad cell in the battery? Is the ignition system messed up?

Also I pulled the choke out before and during trying to start. No luck, I also tried starting with the throttle up a little to feed it some gasoline, no luck.

Please help me guys

it sounds like you need to charge your battery. if it is clicking, that means it doesnt have enough battery to charge it. Some seadoos will turn off if battery voltage goes below a certain number like 7 volts for 30 seconds. I bet you have a bad battery try charging it and seeing if it will start then

Check battery connections and starter and starter solenoid. You probably gotta bad connection somewhere.

First check the battery voltage.
It could be an okay battery but the charging system wasn't running and it just drained the battery too much. There's a 15amp fuse on the charging system.

If its not that (12 volts on the battery when pushing start/stop button) then take off the gray cover over the driveshaft, and take out the spark plugs, and try to turn the shaft by hand, it should turn okay. If it won't move, there's something stopping it, and that is whats keeping the starter from turning it too...

Last edited by a moderator:
Voltage meter on battery out of boat = 12.4 - 12.6v

Would you guys like a video of the sounds I get?

It would only try and turn over say the first four times we tried to start it. Like you would hear the engine....working. Now it sounds like the engine isn't even getting anything and it's like starting a car with a bunk battery you hear "click click click", until you...jump it.

My friend and I might get adventurous and try this flywheel thing.

Yes it does seem that you may have a battery issue. charge battery and check its condition. If you are not sure of the age of battery I would buy a new one for a piece of mind. You may have a problem with your charging system. You can buy a tester at walmart I found one in the battery section it is like $13.00. This battery tester plugs into a cig lighter and has a digital read out with a good back ground light it can tell you the state of charge of battery and how many volts your chargeing system is puting out. If you do not have a place on your boat to plug it in walmart allso sells a adapter that has clips that clip onto your battery and the other end looks like what you would plug a cig lighter into it is less than $10.00. I installed something like what you would plug a cig lighter into and I keep the tool in my glove box and check the system for time to time. This is realy a nice tool for the price. If you have a charging problem but have a new battery that is fully charged you should still be able to have fun all day unless you have a stereo draining the power or something else that would pull power all day long. :cheers:

To clarify the boat runs the bilge and blower fine. The boat has an out of boat battery charge of 12.4v atleast.

The battery is also very new. In fact there is a walmart sticker on the battery that shows virtually no wear. It looks under 1 year old, and if I recall the guy said he had purchased a new battery.

Also to note on this conversation. My mechanic who fixed my cavitation problems said that a new MPEM (is that the correct term?) was installed (From a 1999 model I guess).

We haven't tried to take the driveshaft and push the crank manually method yet. One more beer and we will.....

Oh and for giggles my girlfriend is bringing either a battery charger or jumper cables (yeah my parents took them when they left on vacation....go figure...no jumper cables here). So we will charge the battery if we can. I mean the battery could have a bad cell in it but its brand new and my friend standing next to me is saying naw man that did not seem like a...oops loose connection issue. But I could even swap batteries from my car if you think this is a battery issue. I have a 1000cca deep cycle marine battery in my trunk running in parallel.

The boat made a more notable stop when it quit working. Not one of them hey we're probably spitting metal out the rear, but one of them, hey uh did we break something? Not a, oh the DESS key got pulled off, or hey we're out of gas stop. But a smidge...louder noise.

I will overlook fuses as well. Also to note the mechanic said my impeller looked in great condition. But my boat ruled this morning. God was it fun while it lasted. Man it was fun.......

I :heart: seadooforums.com

Also what should we be yanking at with the drive shaft? Pictures? Certain colors? The manual didn't have much on "driveshaft"

Last edited by a moderator:
When I say battery what I mean is that you may not be geting enough voltage [amps] to the starter. We need more facts to determin the problem. It could be a wire conection at the battery or a bad ground at the engine.:cheers:

As for turning the drive shaft, make sure the spark plugs are out, then grab the white thing the drive shaft attaches to (PTO flywheel) with your hands and turn it counterclockwise. If you can't turn it, you can try using that big pipe wrench you have on the ground, but I'd be careful, you don't want to put too much pressure on it, with the plugs out you should be able to turn by hand.

If I had to just shoot out a guess here on what happened, I'd say the impeller got something big jammed in it, or one of the seals wasn't positioned right on the impeller shaft when the impeller was installed, and hitting that wake was enough to push it out enough that the impeller seized in the pump.

After watching your video I beleive you are on the right track of finding the problem. If the engine does not spinn over by hand after removing spark plugs the next step woud be to remove the jet pump and see if the engine will spinn. :cheers:

We haven't removed spark plugs yet to try to turn it. Right now we couldn't move it by hand at all.

But seriously what tool do I use? Big wrench or crescent? What do I grab on to, or does it not really matter, just be careful?

use crescent,remove the plugs, turn PTO counterclockwise, if smooth, theninstall plugs, hook cables up to battery and vehicle battery(not running), if she fires up, replace battery, if she clicks, replace the solenoid...

Yes let it be known though my problem with cavitation and white steam were related to a bad neoprene seal, bad seal with the pump, and an impeller that was 11-22 but there were numbers wrote over it (he didn't note what). With my original impeller boat was acting as if the pitch was not right.

He than pulled the pump out again and installed a Skat Trak 14-21.5 and it in return ran better then my stock impeller.

So no longer does my boat look like a steam engine (or run haha), with 3 adults on the boat it runs and planes perfectly. No 7000rpm dropping to 6000rpm problem either. Boat just kicked butt...once I got it out there and when it was working for 2 hours.

I was passing other boats (maybe they weren't going as fast as they could) and its like Hahahaha yeah you just got passed by a $3000 14 foot Doo there buddy.
People gave us looks a few times like "man they are really hauling on that little thing".

cool dude...have read, that, that prop makes whole world difference in any single engine boat...do da crapI mentioned,so you can get back out there, and pass'em up, there laugh'n at you right now...:rofl:

use crescent,remove the plugs, turn PTO counterclockwise, if smooth, theninstall plugs, hook cables up to battery and vehicle battery(not running), if she fires up, replace battery, if she clicks, replace the solenoid...
If you watch the video you will hear that the solinoid sounds good, it even sounds that the battery is good and allso sounds as if the starter is trying hard to turn the engine but for some reason the engine is locked up or the pump is locked up.
:cheers:

So you are saying throw my Napa orbital battery from my car in place of the Wal-Mart battery in there?

Napa orbitals do rule....

If you watch the video you will hear that the solinoid sounds good, it even sounds that the battery is good and allso sounds as if the starter is trying hard to turn the engine but for some reason the engine is locked up or the pump is locked up.
:cheers:

...no speakers at p.c. i'm on...then needs to spin PTO, by hand, and find out if binding or smooth...:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back