RESTO My 96 speedster restoration

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing yours out on the water inspired me to drop mine in yesterday.... what a blast! Seems I may have sorted out my misfiring issues from last season, and the rebuilt pumps makes for a helluva fun time :p

BTW...I ended up going with the BlackTip mats... pretty happy with my choice, I like the shape of the texture better than the Hydro Turf... 12794341_1176250949059954_119131678327878457_n.jpg

I am planning on putting in new wear rings and carbon seals as soon as I have time. It still hesitates just a bit. Have the parts just need to find the time...

Mine transformed after doing the wear rings and carbon seals. Also found that whomever worked on the engine replacement(s) did not put the rubber bumpers on the pump ends of the shafts.. fixed all that while I was in there and it made a huge difference. I also put a trim tab between the two pumps which made a drastic improvement in ride and getting on plane. I used a single tab between the two pumps with a 30lb actuator, the kit comes with 2, so I have a spare. The bracket requires some modification to mount the tab, but it was a simple task.

Took some more pics today
180.jpg
181.jpg
182.jpg
183.jpg

My son and I installed two of these new batteries and this switch today. Had to remove the oil tank to get one in. What a pain! Got one for the stereo and one for starting. Anyone else used these before? Image1459043073.609449.jpgImage1459043084.098429.jpg

Thanks! I ordered a 46"x6' but found that it was too tall. I cut it down to 36. I'm going to have to move it back about 10" though. When you fold it back against the support poles, it is right above your head. I'm afraid I'll hit it when I'm jumping those wakes! Lol.

Here's the link where I bought it. Not a bad price and looks like it will hold up.

They have 36" tops.

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/311340525550

Well... I finally decided on a name for my boat. For years I've worked 60+ hours a week. Recently I have cut back on my hours so I can enjoy myself, my grand kids and relieve some stress. Now when someone asks what I'm doing this weekend I can gladly say...
"Working Overtime"
[emoji4]
272.jpg

That's a hot boat!

How is the vinyl holding up along the water line? I'm wrestling with that or paint...

Thanks! Haven't had it out much but so far it's done well. It's Avery supreme wrapping vinyl that's outdoor rated for ten years. Can't beat it for a paint replacement. I would use some edge seal to help the edges stay down. If you do have a scratch, you can patch it with more vinyl. Easier than repainting.

Wow ... that has to be one of the best restoration jobs I have ever seen .....Beautiful !!!!! I am currently restoring a 1997 speedster that has low hours. Live in the same area as 2ucs and we are helping each other out a bit. How many hours do you think you have into the resto so far ???

I will share some before and after pics later today. All your work has definately given me some ideas as well as some great step by step help. Thanks and keep up the awesome work !!! You also might want to buy a poppy cover for that sweet ride if it spends any time outside.

You did a bang up job on this boat, it really looks great. I'm just finishing a resto on my 97 also, including motors. I'm painting my hull metallic black with upper and inside decks pearl white followed by vinyl decals. Question. Where did you get the small decals you put on the carbon fiber panel for the choke, lights ect.?? Another thing, I like what you did with the carbon fiber, do you know how much you would have to order to have enough? I ask only because its pricey and I don't want a lot of waste/leftovers.
Would love to see what the paint job looks like when you are done ...

Wow ... that has to be one of the best restoration jobs I have ever seen .....Beautiful !!!!! I am currently restoring a 1997 speedster that has low hours. Live in the same area as 2ucs and we are helping each other out a bit. How many hours do you think you have into the resto so far ???

I will share some before and after pics later today. All your work has definately given me some ideas as well as some great step by step help. Thanks and keep up the awesome work !!! You also might want to buy a poppy cover for that sweet ride if it spends any time outside.

Thanks Mask1! I'm really happy with the way everything turned out since this is my first attempt at restoring a boat. I bought it back in mid November and have worked on it nights and weekends ever since. I'd hate to know how many hours I have in it. I'm hoping to really turn some heads with it this summer at the river. Look forward to seeing photos or yours! Let me know if I can help.

Cnc signman there are tons of different types of krylon paint. Wondering what you used for yours . I see you did multiple coats and than a shiny coat at the end. Any advice would be helpful. My seats are being recovered as we speak with carbon fiber yellow and carbon fiber silver. I am going to repaint my consol hood and all my handles and mooring hooks and have ordered carbon fiber silver 4d sheet to replace the decals on the top of the boat. Here are a couple pics of how the seats are coming.

Hoping to have all gel coat repaired , all buffed , seats recovered , new hydro turf installed , bought new poppy cover , all plastic repainted , all new silver carbon accent vinyl, and new stereo done in the next month. Let the ghosting go away this year and than new vinyl decals installed next off season ..... hopefully turns out close to as beautiful as yours . Will keep ya posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back