Mercury EFI 240h/p

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

volsla

Guys could you please explain me difference between EFI and rotax? basically, I am about to buy 2003 speedster with Mercury EFI 240 h/p engine (160 hr on engine).
Is it good engine as i don't want to get on the position of replacing it or bying a boat with problematic engine.

thanks

The 240 is basically a V6 outboard engine mounted inside the hull on top of a jet pump. They can be a fantastic engine when maintained properly, but if it has been neglected at all then things can get pricey. To start the engine has to be serviced by a Mercury outboard technician, not a Sea-Doo shop.

If the boat looks clean and interests you, be sure to have it inspected by a certified Mercury shop before you consider purchasing it. I'm not trying to scare you off the Merc, I've had absolutely no problems with mine and it gets great mileage for a boat.

Sorry I can't go into to much detail right now, but I'm at work right now.

Aaron:cheers:

Thanks everyone,

basically, boat has 167 hours, according to engine scan result....is it a lot or not for 2003 boat?

thanks

Thanks everyone,

basically, boat has 167 hours, according to engine scan result....is it a lot or not for 2003 boat?

thanks

No, but there is a lot more to an engine than just the hours on it. Did they check all the drive fluids and do a compression test? What else did they check while they were looking at the boat. That engine could go many hundreds of hours yet if it has been taken care of, or if it's been abused it could go in the middle of summer.

Just think of looking at two cars that have say 100,000 miles on them. One may still look like it just came off the showroom floor, yet the other may be ready for the dump. All depends on how they were taken care of.

Basically, dealer is salling this boat and told me that there is no any error code on the engine, but, don't think they checked something else, there is no way for me to check this as i am buying a boat 1500 km away from my house, I just saw this boat on the internet. It looks very good 8 of 10, hopefully engine is in good condition. I don't think I even can try the boat on the water as weather is not cooperating (((((......
Is there any advice you guys can give me?

thanks

Boy it's really tough when the boat is that far away, but I would still try to get it checked out by another shop. Try calling around the area where the boat is located and see if you can find another Mercury repair shop to look at it for you. If the dealer is on the up and up they should have no problem with that. It really would be best if you could get the boat checked and do a water test to make sure it preforms the way it should.

I have purchased things before site unseen, but remember you are taking a chance. If you're planning on financing the boat, some finance companies will try and sell you an aftermarket warranty. Might not be a bad idea on this one.

thanks for advise man,
I will try my best, but i am buying boat from cottage country etc. so no mer. shop around ((((, but i am going to test it on water that's for sure.
How reliable are EFI jet engines?

They're as reliable as anything else out there. The only caveat is that with their complexity, sometimes it pays just to take them to a certified Mercury repair shop if they're acting up. Always take a look your self first, but sometimes you just have to have a scanner.

That's well within spec. Make sure to have the dive fluids changed and maybe new plugs while you're at it. May as well star fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back