Mercury 240 EFI in a 2003 Utopia - Problem found on jet pump housing

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

pondcare

It looks like the lower right pump housing is missing some metal where the bolt on the stator attaches to the pump housing. My question is this a now fix or can it be used? The damage is only where the threads would be. No other damage to the housing. Please see image, thanks!

Attachments

• Jetpump.jpg
    Jetpump.jpg
    483.5 KB · Views: 65
THe pic is dark... and so close... I'm having a hard time seeing exactly what bolt it's supposed to be. Please post a second pick out a little, so I can get a better reference.

****EDIT****

are you talking about the bolt that will go down and hold the trim plate?

Last edited by a moderator:
The image is of where the stator and weir meets the pump housing (zoomed to show the missing threads/metal... no bolt). It would be the lower right bolt. It's 1 of the four long bolts that goes through the stator and weir into the threads on the pump housing. I'm guessing the previous owner tried to get this off and cracked the treads and a little of the housing. I hope that helps?

Yeah, those are pretty important. I had some vibration coming from my pump. I discovered it was because one of those 4 bolts had come loose. Maybe you could use a helicoil for new threads and weld it to the housing where the missing piece is.

The image is of where the stator and weir meets the pump housing (zoomed to show the missing threads/metal... no bolt)......

That's the prob. since there is parts missing... I'm not getting a good ref on what I'm looking at.

But... if it's one of the 4 stator mounting bolts... DO NOT drive that boat. That pump produces thousands of pounds of pressure. If one is missing... the others are probably weak. AND... if it flexes... it will destroy itself. (or hurt someone if it goes flying off) It's best to take it apart... and see if there is enough clean metal to weld a tab with a threaded hole back on. If it's rotten... then the pump housing needs replaced.

Thanks! I appreciate it! Want to be safe with little one enjoying this! Any advice for removing stripped star bolts and the two screws on the pump to remove the oil? Thanks again!

Quick update:

Just took off the rider plate and it looks like some bonehead used a crowbar to separate the weir from the pump housing. Once I removed the plate I could see the all scrapes near the damaged corner.

I stripped one of my bolts that holds the bucket to the stator

I added to this thread since I figure this is a similar problem.

After changing the stator fluid I was reattaching the housing for the bucket for the jet drive on my 2001 challenger 2000 when I must have over tightened the stainless bolt or cross threaded it when bolting it back together. Of course it was the last bolt and getting late, so not thinking I must have turned too much torque and damaged the threads. The bolt will not tighten down and I posted a picture of the damage. Overall my jetdrive hardware and stator look to be in great shape otherwise.

I have a friend who is a retired machinist that said he can help be rethread the aluminum housing with a die set.

Is this the appropriate fix and are there any suggestions on size or concerns that there may be with doing this procedure? Can / should this be done on the boat or should I remove the housing? I obviously have no skills or experience in this area.

Thanks for the help.

Brian

Attachments

• Stator Bolt Lower Right.jpg
    Stator Bolt Lower Right.jpg
    966.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 2013-04-23 17.40.27.jpg
    2013-04-23 17.40.27.jpg
    616.7 KB · Views: 41
You could either drill, and tap to the next size... or you can have your buddy put in a coil, and keep it the stock size. He should be able to do it on the boat.

Dr. Honda,
Thanks for the reply.

What does it mean to "put a coil in"?

I am sure he will know what you mean, but I am curious.

Thanks again

Dr. Honda,
Thanks for the reply.

What does it mean to "put a coil in"?

I am sure he will know what you mean, but I am curious.

Thanks again

its a threaded insert that looks like a spring. The hole will be drilled, and tapped to the OD of the coil, and then the coil is threaded in. Then... the ID of the coil is the proper bolt size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back