MAP sensor question?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
On 240 efi sportjet, what do you do if you have a bad one? I have searched the web over and cant find a replacement. Only reference Ive found is they are non serviceable. Any one know where I can find one or someone who I can send the ecu to to have it replaced, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is 0E377115 its the older model. Its mounted inside the ecu. Don't think that is the same one on ebay but I haven't cracked the ecu open yet either to verify. I did take the bolts out of t but it really don't want to come apart and I don't want to break something yet, lol

No not sure as I haven't put it on a ddt scanner yet. Boat shop is behind. But I have replaced every sensor on the motor except the map sensor trying to get the warning light off the dash. Now its not that I was just throwing money to fix the light but this boat was badly neglected so I wanna replace everything to start fresh. and from what im reading the only thing left that hasn't been touched that will cause the warning light is the map sensor. It may or may not fix the light.

This boat has
New parts:
air temp sensor
water module sensor
tps sensor and set correctly
both head temp sensors
oil sensor bypassed
new fuel sending unit

All setting on a new powerhead. There maybe something else I am missing that I am unaware of that might trip the light. I'm open for suggestion if you have any? Thanks

Understood. IMO it's unlikely the MAP sensor is defective (innocent till proven guilty on this one for sure!!!) but do make sure the plumbing (vacuum line) is connected properly and not kinked or leaking. Is it a hard plastic line? Most of the remote of engine manifold MAP sensors typically are plumbed with a hard plastic line b/c with the rubber type flexing can interfere with the vacuum signal. Could be it's common but I haven't heard of issues with MAP failure.

Given you've addressed a good portion of suspect sensors to no avail then more than likely there's an issue with the warning system itself or an adjustment somewhere is out of whack.

Can you share the symptoms (immediate warning, or warning after running XX minutes, etc.) Does it run strong like it should or does it limp? BTW you probably know, it's unwise to run them if they aren't running properly thus you're working on a repair.

Having it scanned should reveal some clues, maybe not the exact root cause.

FYI I'm in "Yamaha country" here so to be honest I'm not "guru" on Merc EFI's by a long shot.

These guys make aftermarket scanners for Merc EFI outboards, maybe the money is best spent on one of these b/c it can help diagnose and set up the TPS to the correct position and such. Not sure what all else it's capable of but if you can get live data while the engine is running it's going to help troubleshooting down the road by helping to identify out of tolerance feedback from sensors, etc...

http://www.rinda.com/

The warning light comes on as soon as you turn the key on. No beeps other than diagnostic's check beep at start up. It has a soft rubber line. I checked to make sure its not kinked and is hooked up. I also drawled vacuum on it with a pump to ensure no leaks inside the ecu. What started me replacing parts after the new powerhead was chasing a problem of the boat running perfect but wouldn't turn over 5k and go over 40mph. I found the timing off and the fuel pressure a little low. after correcting timing and a whole new fuel system Im hoping them two problems correct the rpm and speed but cant verify that yet because impros still has my prop for a month or more now and at this point unsure if ill ever get it back. But anyways I just decided to do some preventive maintenance by replacing what I could in hopes of turning off light as well as stopping future failures.

I stripped the boat down, wetsanded and buffed it got all new graphics and interior. I have spent a lot of money getting this boat how I want it and we love the boat but I would have never bought it if I had realized at the time there was such limited knowledge of these motors. I have bought several manuals and read about every post online pertaining to this motor but there just isn't a whole lot out there.

I wouldnt say there's limited knowledge necessarily, just a lot of us try to stay away from them. But it's essentially a Merc EFI outboard and there are people out there who know them inside out (Sorry I'm not one of them, my bad).

Brunswick does have a tech hot line, we've called them before several times.

Yeah, retarded ignition timing more than a few degrees off you should notice a difference.

If the factory MAP tubing was rubber then I guess that's okay, leave it alone considering they developed the EFI tune that way so the transfer function is baked into the tune.

Are you sure the TPS is set up right? I think you have to at least measure voltage or read the value using a scanner.

I'll think about this some more but man, I haven't even touched one of those Merc EFI's in over a year..... Didn't even winterize one this past fall.

Mercury does seem to support them though, so don't give up on it, give them a call. I'm thinking there could be something wrong with the warning system itself but that's usually a dangerous way to think.

Yes the tps is set right according to the book. I have the test harness and a fluke meter and knowledge of using it. I have doubled checked it a few times. And yes limited was a bad choice of wording. Its just you cant google a question about it and come up with an answer or topic about like you can other motors etc. The manual is helpful but a joke at the same time.

Thanks

and the faulty warning system has crossed my mind. One reason for that is the light is mounted in the fuel gauge and the fuel gauge will stop from time to time and I will have to wiggle the connector on back of the gauge to get it working. I've checked the connectors and they look clean unbent etc. It appears it is movement on the actual board inside the gauge that starts it back working. Of course I know the warning system isn't in there but just the light. I still wonder if there is a problem with the board turning the light on though.

I still wonder if there is a problem with the board turning the light on though.

Hard to say without hanging your voltmeter on the signal line. My car airbag light comes on while driving sometimes (makes it hard to pass inspection) and measuring the signal coming from the airbag module it's always in the correct state once the light check is passed. So, I have to tear the instrument pod out of the dash and resolder something no doubt.

Are you sure your alarm isn't the water sensor in the fuel filter? Those things are pretty sensitive.....

Yeah its not the water sensor. I can ground it out and make the beeper come on.

Good troubleshooting strategy, disconnecting temporarily and simulating a substitute signal from various sensors is the way to go.

For instance that same strategy can be used by disconnecting (at the engine/ECU source) and simulating the warning signal from the engine up to the helm display. Substituting the signal coming from the engine to the gauge and see if the led functions. If it does function, it's probably safe to assume the gauge LED is working.

I guess you've done that too, but keep on that path and hopefully you discover the root cause.

I have not done that . But that is a great ideai haven't thought of. Do you have any idea where the warning light source comes from? I'll look and see if wiring diagram shows anything thanks alot

I'm fairly sure the warning signal comes from logic inside the ECU, might even be more than one source for the signal but I don't think so. Not absolutely sure, maybe the gauge provides the current and the ECU pulls the line low to activate the LED, that's what I'm thinking.

Good use for one of those trailer wiring test lights with the small incandescent bulb in it that glows instead of roasting something delicate by just shorting to ground, although that would probably work too.

Im going to try to dig a little deeper into it this weekend if I can in between ball games. I did finally hear from impros, my prop is on its way back so at least that's a plus.

Sportster I unhooked the harness from the engine and the light went out so im going to assume the light is a maintenance related issue. I went by the local boat shop. A big place not a mom and pop spot, to inquire about getting them to scan it for me. I have called them several times and were told they were backed up so today I stopped to see what they would say face to face and basically got blowed off. I told him disregard the boat its in I just want it scanned beings every boat in their showroom had mercs on the back and they are a dealer im sure they are capable. He said they were then started saying it was rough working on them because of being inboard. I told him look ill crawl down in there, hook it up, pay whatever overpriced rate you want just tell me the fault it reads. I was told to call back after another mechanic came back from lunch. So I said screw it, ill just have to find somewhere else to take it for now.

spankzilla, have you tried disconnecting the MAP vacuum line while running, it should go pig rich and/or quit in it's tracks. Disconnecting the entire harness isn't doing much for me since grounds go through that too, it'd be better if you could pull that wire out of the connector.

Sorry those guys are being so cold, I'd hook up my scanner if you came by our shop. I've never connected it to a sportjet before, don't know if it would even work. Yeah, if those guys don't crawl in bilges to work on mercruisers, then how do they do it? It's just an outboard sitting there instead of a V8, LOL.

That was just cold as hell though, maybe you should go schmoose the owner. Most likely needs to be a Mercury dealer b/c those are the only guys likely to have the scanner for Mercruisers and EFI outboards. Like I said, I don't even know if ours would speak outboard but I'd try it out of curiosity if nothing else, those do come through here occasionally sitting on the back of bass boats. Mostly this is Yamaha outboard city here and the occasional evinrude e-tec along with the older carbed outboards that just won't die (till a carb gets plugged and the owner runs it anyway).

Let's see if [MENTION=16022]Dr Honda[/MENTION] can throw his $0.02 in on this, he owns one you know.....

I would love to just disconnect the one wire but I have yet to figure out which one it is. Because from what I understand so far the light is seadoo supplied so it isn't on the merc diagram. I'm still digging and will have more time this weekend to get into it. I'm going to try to isolate the wire at the light and follow it from there. I have not pulled the vacuum line off while running but will try that this weekend.

Agreed, this diagram shows a 2001 Seadoo wiring for their LCD info center with maintenance indicator. Who knows, maybe the seadoo color code was used for yours too....? On this one the "maintenance" indicator is fed using a black with yellow stripe wire so maybe you can confirm this color on your gauge.

Does the Sportjet have some kind of "monitoring" or "alarm" box or just straight to the ECU? I haven't taken the time to dig up the sportjet EFI schematics yet.

Attachments

• 2001 seadoo gauge LCD Schematic.jpg
    2001 seadoo gauge LCD Schematic.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 10
Thanks ill check into the wire. as far a s warning box im not sure. The motor has two boxes on top of the motor. The manual says they are the rev limiter and control module. I have seen references people have made in post on here about one of the boxes being a warning module also but haven't been able to verify if that is correct or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back