Manual reverse kit dealer install time?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

truck240

I'm buying a manual reverse kit for a 2017 Spark. I've debated self installing or having it dealer installed. What I find frustrating is the instructions state 3.5hrs to install but different dealer's quote wildly different installation time. Dealership installation various from 5 - 8 hrs!!! Do these guys just make up a number or is there an official BRP flare job rate?

Point out the time shown in the manual to them.

When I got a quote of 7hrs from one dealer I asked: "why do the official instructions state 3.5hrs?" The response was, "that's BRP's estimated time under ideal conditions." I replied: "Isn't a BRP dealer's service shop with red seal techs an ideal place?" The answer was simply no but if it took less than 7hrs I'd be charged less. I don't trust them.

So far not one single dealership has quoted 3.5hrs. I'll keep calling around and maybe contact BRP and see what's up with the wildly different installation quotes.

Every dealer when questioned on official 3.5hr install time has the same answer. All of them add 1.5hrs to official BRP time regardless of the job because BRP time estimates are a joke!!!

well, that is kinda the rule of thumb with warranty jobs because the factory almost always doesn't give you enough time for warranty work and that is probably what they are thinking. But I don't think they the instructions are giving you a warranty job estimate I think that is an estimate for the customer to do it. It should take the dealer less time than that estimate probably.

Just do it yourself !!! You've spent more time dealing with the dealer(s) that it would have taken to do the job.

As Dr. Honda said it can't be that hard to DIY unless you are still under warranty.

As for the rates, they are just estimates and what the dealer will get paid by Seadoo if it is a warranty repair. If you are having it done the dealer can charge whatever they want. The "book rates" in the powersports industry are not like the auto industry. In the powersorts it is what the manufacturer will pay the dealer and typically the dealer only brakes even and is why they hate warranty work. If it is to the customer they have their minimum shop rate then go hourly from there to complete the job.

My only concern is that it's new and under warranty for 4 years.

So??? Seadoo sells the part to the end user. Because of that, you installing it, CAN NOT void the warranty. Heck... since its a factory part... if it ever goes in for a warranty issue... the shop won't even give it a second thought. It's not like the guy in the back will run the HIN and then go down the list of factory equipment... and then try to find out if it was installed by a dealer tech. That would just be silly, and take too much time. Besides... the warranty laws in this country wont allow that. If there was a problem with the engine... they would have to prove that you did something during the install to cause the issue. They can't blame the part since it's an OEM part.

Stop worrying... buy the part... and install it. It even comes with the install instructions !!

You can definitely install the reverse kit yourself. It's very easy and not rocket science.

I wouldn't pay 7 hours labor, that's insane.

The hardest part of the install is figuring out which washers and bolts to use at the lever. Mess those up, and the lever jams when sliding in and out of the housing. The BRP instructions aren't the clearest.

Back