Lost hardware under engine

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jharding08

Been working on my carb for my 1996 GTS and I lost a nut from the carb mount that went under the engine. Been searching for it, trying to push it out with a screwdriver, get my hands in there, get my kids little hands in there and it seems to have gone all the way under.

Would this be dangerous to the moving parts if I leave it in there and go get another one? Looks like there are deeper sections where water is supposed to settle away from the engine, just not sure if it could lodge into something when moving?

Also any tricks to retrieving the loose hardware? Other than being careful with the screws/washers/nuts or putting something down to catch loose hardware when working on the engine?

Seems like its a black hole under the engine mount. Plus magnets dont work

No issues with leaving it there.

Typically the first run on the water it will end up towards the back of the ski.

When I lose an important part, I tilt the ski up as far as I can, remove the front bin, remove drain plugs of course, take a garden hose and run it hard through the hull, maybe have a second spotter to find it when it slides back, hopefully not on the waterboxbside...so far with some patience, I have recovered important hardware that are stainless and my magnet can't pick up.

Lost a 6MM hex socket under the engine...found it the next season in the back of the ski almost eaten to nothing...amazing how fast that thing rusted out.....

Like I tell everyone. The easiest way to get a lost nut, bolt, hamster, wedding ring, etc out from under a motor is to take the machine for a ride. At the end of the ride pull the seat off and look in the rear of the hull, the thing you lost will be there some where.

I don't use water but i'll whip out 120psi air. When these bastiges escape to "under the engine" they quickly grow minute tentacles and the crawl under hoses and cables, behind engine mounts, etc... Some are especially acrobatic as they jump up into places that are seemingly impossible. The worse sumbish is the one that hides exactly where it fell and doesn't move a muscle leading you to believe your own expecations and experiences that it rolled under the engine and out of sight, This technique is especially successful at night and in low light conditions. Beware of that one.

I have tried the air pistol many times, the water move spreads under the hull, it recently saved my life (dropped a 4tec intake torx screw/bolt).,,sockets are easy, non stainless.

OK great, so its not just me that cant hold on to a bolt or nut or washer as soon as it comes free. I thought I was doing something wrong, like needed to put down a towel under what I'm working on or something. I had my little kids with their little hands reaching under the engine, who knows whats under there

Spoke too soon, lost the nut for the throttle linkage on the carburetor after rebuilding it. Maybe I'll try the water or air from the front.

In the meantime, does anyone know what measurement this washer is? Its a Mikuni BN38

1623975288111.png

Seems like all the carb hardware isn't attracted to magnets. True big magnets, small magnets, my kids toy magnets...

Correct, most of the hardware on these is stainless so it’s not magnetic.
Some carb nuts are brass so again not magnetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back