Looking to buy a Sea Doo

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmcgill

I've got two units I'm looking at, a 1991 GT and a 1994 SP580.

The 1991 GT is in complete running condition and has a newish trailer along with it. The owner says the hull has some scratches and blemishes but no weak spots or holes.

The 1994 is listed for the same price (both are around $800) but the owner says it needs a "CDI" box.

I'm JUST Starting to get into PWCs....so I know next to nothing about them, but I am an experienced 2-stroke mechanic who has worked on outboards, and 2-stroke racing motorcycles.

My first question is: How reliable are these old Sea Doos?
My second question: How hard is it to get parts for them?
Third: Is the asking price too high?
Fourth: Are either of these good "starter" units? I don't want to bankrupt myself, but I really want to have one to ride and tinker with.

Thanks,

Joe

My first question is: How reliable are these old Sea Doos?
My second question: How hard is it to get parts for them?
Third: Is the asking price too high?
Fourth: Are either of these good "starter" units? I don't want to bankrupt myself, but I really want to have one to ride and tinker with.

Thanks,

Joe

1) Seadoo's are very reliable if taken care of, but, you are looking at +16 year old vehicles.

2) Mechanical parts are easy. And most of the body parts are easy if you look on eBay. The only thing you won't find is the factory graphics.

3) Yes, the price on both is a little high... depending on cosmetic condition.

4) Both are great starter skis. Both are fast, and fun to ride.

OK... everything above is the "Black and White" answer. Here are a few things to think about.

a) You are buying a ski in peak buying season, so the prices are high, and the selection is low. Unless the 1991 is in prime condition... I wouldn't spend $800 for it. (but that's just me) If it's very clean, and the compression is good... I would take it out for a test ride. If it starts, runs, and idles without any issues... then the price is OK. I picked up a 90 for $300, and was mechanically in good shape.

b) $800 for the 94 is too high. If the CDI is burnt out, you may find that after you figure out the electrical issues... the engine isn't any good, and if it's been sitting a long time, expect to need to rebuild the carbs, and clean out the fuel system. To me... I would take a jumper pack, and check the cyl compression. If it's not at least 140 psi... I would pass. If it is at least 140... I would pay $500 for it since it's not a "running" ski. At that price, I could part it out, and still make a few $$$ from it.

c) the 94 is the newer hull style, and it will always be worth more than the old style ski. The 91 in good running, and cosmetic, is worth about $800... but the 94 in good running, and cosmetic condition is worth $1200

d) if you are just starting out... you may want to older ski since it will get you on the water faster.

Good luck :cheers:

I really don't have all that many options in my price range.....but I guess I'll keep looking.

Most of the ski's I've looked at in that price range don't run and/or come with a trailer.

I'm going to look at that 1991 GT and see about the compression on it. If it's good and the body is in good shape, I'm probably going to make an offer to that guy on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back