Looking to buy a jetski; I see a 2009 GTX IS255

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rottiediesel

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I'm in the market of getting a jetski. I come from owning a 39' searay, so I am familiar with the water/boating life and community. I've decided since its getting to be winter, now would be a good time to buy.

I've always been a seadoo fan but recently lots of ppl have been pushing me towards a Yamaha waverunner. Personally, I haven't been on a jetski since the late 90s so I'm sure all the technology has changed on it and I want to add more fun and enjoyment to my life.

I've spotted a 2009 GTX Is 255 for sale closeby me, got about 13 hrs on it and selling for $7500/no trailer. I've been reading around and it has good rating for this particular model, with the independent suspension, braking and reverse. I've also read that the supercharged motors can be a pain since its an extra item to maintain and rebuild over time.

I would like to get your opinions if you think this would be a good buy and if this particular model is a good start. Not looking to go the fastest in the water and definitely need a 3 seater.

I've been looking to buy myself, and I'm also looking at a GTX iS (but a 260, which is really only a year newer than the one you're looking at), and this is what I've found:

2011 and prior (and possibly 2012's too - I haven't been able to confirm) have a flaw in the hull design of suspension models that can cause the craft to sink under certain conditions. The issue is that when the craft is just floating in the water (or generally sitting level), when the foot wells fill with water, before they naturally drain out of the back, they will actually pour into the hull itself. This is because the lower section of hull is about 1.5" too short (the suspension models use a two piece design, a lower hull section and an upper section you and your passengers ride on). From my research, there seems to be no fix.

So you will have to see the conditions under which you ride the ski. If you'll always just launch the ski, ride it, and put it away, you'll never notice. But if you like to leave it tied to a dock overnight and it happens to rain that night, it could be an issue. Make sure you do plenty of research on the problem.

The next problem is the supercharger washers. Earlier years used ceramic washers that can break and be sucked into the engine and the end result is very costly, no matter how you go about it. The solution is to have the supercharger rebuilt and the ceramic washers replaced with metal ones, like the newer supercharged models have. If you are mechanically inclined enough to pull the supercharger (might be more difficult with suspension models), you can send the supercharger out and have it rebuilt for $400 or so, and it will be good for another 2 years/100 hours after you do so.

Other than that, I haven't found too many common problems during my research, though some people aren't found on the suspension models because they aren't for everyone. Depending on your riding style (namely if you like jumping a lot or riding in very rough chop), you can possibly bottom out the suspension a lot which is not good for it and can break it, also costing money. But I've also read instances where people simply love the suspension. I think I'm pretty set on getting it, personally.

08 and older have ceramic washers that MUST be replaced. They chip apart and destroy the engine. Officially 09 and newer have metal washers. However, some early build 09's have come through with the ceramic washers.

Early iS ski's most defiantly had a sinking issue. I would check with a local dealer to see if they have a fix to that issue.

GTX is a nice riding ski. You will like all the goodies it has.

Also, the iS ski's are more top heavy compared to non-iS models. It gives a sensation that the ski is easier to tip over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply, I've been researching this ceramic problem and it does seem that it goes up 2004-2007, I'm not sure about 08-12, but there is was a class-action lawsuit in which BRP USA had settled

http://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...supercharged-sea-doo-class-action-settlement/

Now in this case, is there a way to visually inspect if it has the ceramic washer installed on it?

08 was the last official year they had ceramic washers, but some of the early build 09 model have had them. Pull the SC and take a picture of the washer cluster, we can tell from the pictures. Most of the 09's are good to go. Technically, even though the ski you are looking at has only 13 hrs, it needs rebuilt due to the years parameter. The bearing cages get hard and brittle and can break. Once that happens, all the little parts fall into the engine..

08 was the last official year they had ceramic washers, but some of the early build 09 model have had them. Pull the SC and take a picture of the washer cluster, we can tell from the pictures. Most of the 09's are good to go. Technically, even though the ski you are looking at has only 13 hrs, it needs rebuilt due to the years parameter. The bearing cages get hard and brittle and can break. Once that happens, all the little parts fall into the engine..

How much [on average] does it cost to rebuild? Is it rebuild the SC or engine? I'm a DIYer, how complicated would it be to dig in there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back