Looking to buy a 1999 Challenger 1800

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeredJet95

Hello SEA-DOO friends'

A little background i'm 21 years old living in Cincinnati Ohio.

Me and my good friend share 2 SEA-DOO GSX's One RFI and ONE carbureted. So familiar with 787's, as well as working on our PWC's I work for a karting team so Rotax engines are nothing new.

As for the boat I found. It's a 1999 SEA-DOO challenger 1800 with twin 787's.

The boat was winterized two summers ago and wasn't taken out last year. As to how it was winterized i'm not to sure still trying to figure that out. I hope he did more than just add stable to the fuel... :facepalm:

As well you'll see in the pictures a lot of muc in the bottom of the engine bay. let me know what you think, not sure if its more then just hasn't been cleaned.

As of now I know that both engines crank-over. But one I believe the starboard engine won't fire, owner believes its spark related and says its getting fuel. Now I know this can be as simple as a Stater or plug wire, or as complicated and as expensive as the MPEM. let me know if you have any ideas I've read a lot of really good articles on the forum but if you have an idea let me know. As for compression I'm not sure but I'm staying optimistic that at least one engine will need a top end.
Bellows for the carbon sales look brand-new and the rave valves look in good shape, no leaking on the back side

As for the interior it's in fairly good shape but needs deep cleaned. The captain chair Will have to be recovered due to rips and stains.

I'm still working on price but I'm thinking 3100 is what i'm willing to spend. That way if I end up selling it I can walk away with a profit. Do you think this is a good price or too much for the shape its in? The boat is about five hours away so I can't just pop up the road to go see it. So if i'm driving its going to be to buy.
All and all it looks good but let me know what you think.

sorry for the pics being upside-down, not sure why...

Cheers.

20160520_162315.jpg20160520_162433.jpg20160520_162452.jpg20160520_162503.jpg20160520_162753.jpg20160520_162804.jpg20160520_162817.jpg

Attachments

• 20160520_162822.jpg
    20160520_162822.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
I have the exact same boat. I have owned it for 4 plus years. I really love my boat. It will pull my grandkids around on a two man tube. Will run between 45 and 49mph. If you keep the rpms between 5500 and 6000rpms it can go all weekend on a tank of fuel cruzing. If you hammer it, or pull a couple tubes/skiers it will drink the fuel. Light, relatively nimble and a blast to kick around.
The gas gauge stays about 1/4 tank off of what is really in the tank. So when you show 1/2 you really have 3/4 tank. Common Sea Doo boat problem
Throttle handles are a little off from each other. Common problem also. Have to keep an eye on the tachs.
After shutting the boat off and letting it sit for a while I have to run the bilge fan for a couple minutes to allow fresh air in the engine compartment, otherwise it is a little hard to start. Common

The boat you are looking at looks like it needs quite a bit of work. If you are willing to do the work it could be worth it depending on a compression test. Compression test is paramount to purchase as far as I am concerned. Without 4 holes pumping 140 to 150psi compression everything else is worthless...unless price can be significantly adjusted downward to make up for mechanical issues.
Upholstery is not bad but will need some work
You said it has not run in a couple years so that to me that is a concern...why hasn't it run?
I probably wouldn't go over $2000/2500 because it can go to $3400 quick with the addition of 2 new engines.

JMHO Jesse

If you decide to pass it up, l will sell you mine. Wife wants a tritoon. :facepalm:

"Wife wants a tritoon" haha

Ya compression is really the only thing that scares me.

He said as for winterization and maintenance "I have done the last couple myself I used antifreeze and fogged everything. Prior work winterizations and replacement of thrust positioner cable have been performed by Generation MX"

As for not running it, supposedly him and his family Just didn't have time to use it. I think 3k is my max more I think about it.
yours is probably above what I want to spend but what are you asking?

Got pics of yours?

Here is a couple. Is has been a fun work in progress so far. The list of things I have done to it is very long.
I think it might be more affordable than you think. If it doesn't work out with the other boat, PM me and I will shoot you a price.

boat just launched.jpg
IMG_0023.JPG
P1020990.jpg
P1020991.jpg
P1030033.jpg
P1030034.jpg
IMG_0021.JPG
photo.JPG

Ok let me think about it. Monday l am going to dewinterize and take her out for a shakedown run.

Same boat here too. My seats look similar to yours minus the small rips. I think I am going to buy a recover kit this year, But I just hate the idea of giving up the logo on the sun deck & bolsters. Looks awesome IMO. I looked into recovering last summer but the aftermarket covers are not the same color so I would have to change everything. All the dark colors look great, the tan's have some discoloration & some of the threads in the stitching is separating a bit. I had a local upholstery shop that had a color match, but it wasn't marine grade vinyl.

Anything new with seat cover kits? (maybe I start another thread if needed)

Attachments

• IMG_0755.JPG
    IMG_0755.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 24
Last edited by a moderator:
Ragtop I purchased the material and had an upholstery guy recover mine. I spent quite a bit of time taking seat cushions to fabric stores matching the colors. Also the upholstery guy was able to re stitch the sun deck pad so the logo was saved, but not on the seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back