Looking at buying 2001 Sea Doo Challenger 2000 with 2.54 mercruiser

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any advice, is this boat worth my money, or is it not worth $9,500 for a 20 year old boat? Seller claims it starts and runs well. Body and seats look near immaculate (for a 20 year old boat there’s minimal fading and scratches).

Thanks in advance!

I just recently bought my '00 SD Challenger 2000 w/ the 2.5L, v6, 240efi, M2 SportJet... for just slightly less than your price. But my engine was not running at time of sale and had a disclosed higher reving problem. I did ensure mine had good compression in all 6 cylinders before buying.

The 20ft Challenger is a nice sized boat. A good running 240efi will move the boat upwards of 50mph at around 6k rpms in good running condition. That's pretty fast. The boat handles like a giant jet ski... with jet ski like steering. The boat is also lighter than most other 20ft bowriders and such... which has its pro's and con's. Easier to tow... more slappy in the chop. Plus the jet drive takes some practice in docking/slow-speed maneuvering.

Down sides are finding mechanics to work on it. Sea Doo won't work on it, since it's a Mercury powerplant. It's essentially a Mercury 200efi outboard powerhead in the hull... mated to the Mercury M2 jet-drive. A good 2-stroke Mercury mechanic should know their way around the engine. Otherwise, if you wrench yourself... parts are still available... although some items are getting more rare (good blocks/cranks) and expensive (TPS sensors).

Cheers!

Any advice, is this boat worth my money, or is it not worth $9,500 for a 20 year old boat? Seller claims it starts and runs well. Body and seats look near immaculate (for a 20 year old boat there’s minimal fading and scratches).

Thanks in advance!
I had to look hard and be patient. I was looking for the 7 seat challenger. Prices were 8k to 12,500. I got a MINT one for 8. In a pinch, I'd of paid 9,500

Thanks in advance!
I think you should buy mine instead (asking $7500 :)
FOR SALE - 2000 Seadoo Challenger 2000

Actually, a guy has a deposit on it...so I find out Saturday if he takes it or not. Also don't know where you are located.

I just recently bought my '00 SD Challenger 2000 w/ the 2.5L, v6, 240efi, M2 SportJet... for just slightly less than your price. But my engine was not running at time of sale and had a disclosed higher reving problem. I did ensure mine had good compression in all 6 cylinders before buying.

The 20ft Challenger is a nice sized boat. A good running 240efi will move the boat upwards of 50mph at around 6k rpms in good running condition. That's pretty fast. The boat handles like a giant jet ski... with jet ski like steering. The boat is also lighter than most other 20ft bowriders and such... which has its pro's and con's. Easier to tow... more slappy in the chop. Plus the jet drive takes some practice in docking/slow-speed maneuvering.

Down sides are finding mechanics to work on it. Sea Doo won't work on it, since it's a Mercury powerplant. It's essentially a Mercury 200efi outboard powerhead in the hull... mated to the Mercury M2 jet-drive. A good 2-stroke Mercury mechanic should know their way around the engine. Otherwise, if you wrench yourself... parts are still available... although some items are getting more rare (good blocks/cranks) and expensive (TPS sensors).

Cheers!
Why was yours revving higher?

Why was yours revving higher?
higher reving problem equates to I can't rev beyond 4k. I'm still diag'ing it. Think it's a bad CDM (coil pack) or possible trigger assembly. I'll update my issues thread when I learn more.

Cheers!

higher reving problem equates to I can't rev beyond 4k. I'm still diag'ing it. Think it's a bad CDM (coil pack) or possible trigger assembly. I'll update my issues thread when I learn more.

Cheers!
You should double check your linkage

Cheers!
I decided to pull the trigger on it. Had it out on Friday - ran great pulling a tube and all. Took it out today and while driving it was randomly shutting off. It would restart and could still get to top speed. I noticed one of the two tubes that are in the back (for what I’m guessing are to prevent vapor lock on the gas tank) we’re disconnected. I didn’t run it at all after re-attaching the tube because we were already back at the dock. Does anyone know if this would fix this issue, or why the boat would do this? Are there easy things to look for first, or should I take it in to a shop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back