Please Help me.... 2001 Sea doo Challenger with Mercury M2 240

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rsatina2002

I just bought this 2001 Sea doo Challenger with Mercury M2 240 2001 engine. I bought it very cheap and the owner said he didn't use the boat for 6 years, and the boat was just in his friend's house and he move in to Florida and boat cover was rip and boat was exposed to sun and rain but engine was covered. I try starting it myself after buying 2 marine batteries, It doesn't start the engine. I hired a mechanic, he check the spark plugs, ignition and the compression on each valve and said everything is working.... he went to fuel pump and check everything there, and found out no ground firing from the ECM during On position on the (-) terminal on electric fuel pump and upon testing and bypassing it fuel goes right in to the pump primer with good pressure... He suspect, the ECM is not giving some power to the fuel pump during engine starts and needs to do more testing with ECM to check for faulty wiring since it has been a long time since the boat has not been used. Please help me to solve this problem and I know ECM won't failed that fast but I think maybe some vapor separator sensor or other problems that let the ECM not fired to the electronic fuel pump, that's why boat is not getting any fuel in. Thanks for your help in advance.

There's no sensor in the vapor separator. It's not common for the ECU to go bad... but it does happen.

If he doesn't find any bad wiring... then the ECU may need to be serviced, or replaced. BUT... if there is spark... just ground the pump to get pressure... and then try to start it.

Hello Dr. Honda I did try it to bypass and ground the fuel pump but still the engine won't start, I don't know what's the problem now... Do you know what are the sensors that trigger the ECM not to work or any test I can do if ECM is properly working or not... appreciate your reply. Thanks.

I don't think there are any real tests for the ECU, other than plugging into the DDT system. Let me look over the manual and see if anything comes to mind. BUT... if your fuses are good, Battery is good, and all the connections are clean... then you may have no choice other than to buy a RInda tool, or take it to a dealer and have them plug in.

Have you checked the round connector from engine to ECU? Be careful- it is held in a bracket in starboard side of engine. The round plastic nut likes to break. There are lots of thin pin connectors in there. Everything should be clean and bright. If it's green, you may have found the problem-corrosion.

Have you check the other round connector bottom starboard, 4 pin that is your injector harness? Larger more durable pins.

Sorry- pc crash.

But they still need to be clean.

A little good news- other Merc sites also say that the hi-tech parts on the V6 engines seldom fail. It seems to usually be mechanical or fuel.

Have you checked the round connector from engine to ECU? Be careful- it is held in a bracket in starboard side of engine. The round plastic nut likes to break. There are lots of thin pin connectors in there. Everything should be clean and bright. If it's green, you may have found the problem-corrosion.

Have you check the other round connector bottom starboard, 4 pin that is your injector harness? Larger more durable pins.
The round plastic connection was already broken but still holding in place do you think thats the one that needs changing...

If it's broken, make sure all the internal connections are good, including the wires leading out.

Thank you Dr. Honda, any suggestions for parts number for the broken ECU wire parts? Also what are the parts number for TPS sensor?

Don't think you can get that connector as a separate part from Merc. If you want to replace it, you will have to track it down from an electronics shop like Mouser or Digikey.

The TPS is Mercury 148512. It's around $500... so make sure to check yours first.

Don't think you can get that connector as a separate part from Merc. If you want to replace it, you will have to track it down from an electronics shop like Mouser or Digikey.

The TPS is Mercury 148512. It's around $500... so make sure to check yours first.
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back