Central FL Looking to buy Sea-doo challenger 180 or 210

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

wolftaildopeness

Hi everyone new to the boating world. I'm thinking about buying a challenger 180 or 210. Sadly we're limited on what our VW Tiguan can pull so it will most likely just be a 180 for now. I've been researching them for a while and since it would be used mostly in the ocean I keep hearing that they are terrible in the chop. It's my wife my 1 year old and me. Any luck on finding one of these boats for under 10k? Open to even buying a project boat. Thanks in advance.

We have a 180 (2010) and it is great for inland lakes. Great boat that has a lot of room for its size. Just me, my wife and two daughters usually. Pulls tubes, skiers, wake boards, etc... with no problem.

However, I would recommend the 210 or bigger if you are going to use in the ocean. Bigger and heavier is always better. The guy I bought our boat from used it in the Great Lakes (albeit fresh water) and he said it just wasn't big enough for the chop. People from outside the midwest may not know, but the Great Lakes can get as rough as the ocean at times. Ocean tankers and barges have sunk in the Great Lakes.

If you are planning on using in the intercoastal or in bays, you might be fine with a 180 though. I guess it depends on the situation.

Last edited:
I’m selling mine right now and it’s listed on the forums under 4TEC Seadoo Boats. 2010 Challenger 210 SE

Hi everyone new to the boating world. I'm thinking about buying a challenger 180 or 210. Sadly we're limited on what our VW Tiguan can pull so it will most likely just be a 180 for now. I've been researching them for a while and since it would be used mostly in the ocean I keep hearing that they are terrible in the chop. It's my wife my 1 year old and me. Any luck on finding one of these boats for under 10k? Open to even buying a project boat. Thanks in advance.

If you are going to be mainly in the Atlantic, I don't know if I would go with a jetboat. I have a Challenger 180 that is perfect for intercoastal waters, but I would hesitate to take it out in the Gulf of Mexico on anything but a very calm day. Rougher chop requires trim tabs and a deeper V to keep everyone dry, neither of which a jetboat has. I know you are limited by your tow vehicle, but you may want to broaden your search criteria.

The biggest problem with the 180 is the low slung bow. It's design allows for the nose to tip below waves if the conditions get rough (especially with people in the bow).

A friend of ours had one and we thought we wanted a 180 as well until we drove around in it. We passed on the 180 and went with a 210.

IMO the 210 is a much better boat, but it'll cost you more and it's definitely heavier.

Our 2012 210 SE with twin 215s tips the scales at 3500lbs empty. Add fuel, gear, and the trailer, and you're more than likely at roughly 4500lbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back