Looking at a new ski

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Tombs

Hey guys so I am in between some skis and was wondering what the people who have been in the industry for a while think.
Background: 4 hrs on rentals, 1 hr driving a rxt
Uses: tubing and maybe some skiing/wake, cruising with the GF to different coves and such, and very rare solo rides but im not into 60 mph wave jumping. I enjoyed the handling of the rxt, and finally screwing with my friend and his rxt.
I am about 225, passenger we can call about 200, and the tuber is less then 200.
Requirements: I think reverse is needed, RELIABILITY! I want easy to maintain and something that will start everytime (barring proper maintenance). I will take reliability over speed. NEED TO TOW
Budget for everything: i would love under 8k used or 10k new

Questions:
1. Used or new
2. think it is ok to buy used. I mean you kinda do buy these to run wide open a lot and stuff ya know (not saying all are)
3. What model
4. Is reverse needed?
I was thinking of a used: FX HO, FX SHO, RXT, GTI 130 or 155, GTS 130, Wake 155
New: GTI 130 or 155 (do i really need 155) or GTS 130 (how often do you use reverse?)

Hey guys so I am in between some skis and was wondering what the people who have been in the industry for a while think.
Background: 4 hrs on rentals, 1 hr driving a rxt
Uses: tubing and maybe some skiing/wake, cruising with the GF to different coves and such, and very rare solo rides but im not into 60 mph wave jumping. I enjoyed the handling of the rxt, and finally screwing with my friend and his rxt.
I am about 225, passenger we can call about 200, and the tuber is less then 200.
Requirements: I think reverse is needed, RELIABILITY! I want easy to maintain and something that will start everytime (barring proper maintenance). I will take reliability over speed. NEED TO TOW
Budget for everything: i would love under 8k used or 10k new

Questions:
1. Used or new
2. think it is ok to buy used. I mean you kinda do buy these to run wide open a lot and stuff ya know (not saying all are)
3. What model
4. Is reverse needed?
I was thinking of a used: FX HO, FX SHO, RXT, GTI 130 or 155, GTS 130, Wake 155
New: GTI 130 or 155 (do i really need 155) or GTS 130 (how often do you use reverse?)

No offense...you were honest enough to list qualifiers so....

Carrying 400+ lbs and also trying to pull a 200+lb'r outa the water....

215 minimum and swap props for hole shot.

Reverse fixes all kinds of f-up's.

Last edited by a moderator:
With what you want to do, 155 is the lowest for sure that I would go.

Personally I would not go below a 215. The 215 is Super Charged and will require rebuilding every 100 hours. That said, the engine will work much easier than the 155. Sooo, maintenance in the long run will likely be similar to each other.

I have two skis, one is the RXT-X with the 255 SC engine. Absolutely LOVE the ski.

Reverse is in many cases stock. I won't own a ski without it. The IBR system incorporates reverse and the brake on the left Han grip. Very nice feature.

Red2blue and I were typing at the same time and pretty much said the same thing.

Take that as a clue,,,, ;-)

No offense...you were honest enough to list qualifiers so....

Carrying 400+ lbs and also trying to pull a 200+lb'r outa the water....

215 minimum and swap props for hole shot.

Reverse fixes all kinds of f-up's.

agreed... if you want to tow anything... raft or skis... go with the wake... if you want to go used go for the wake 155 as it has great power and reliability.. but if you want to enjoy the power and really have some fun go for the wake 215.

the 215 is supercharged and needs some care and attention every so often but its a fantastic ski that will not struggle to get up to speed with weight on the back and in the water.

and yes reverse is a must.. idk how i did without it on my 96 spx... funny thing is my buddy just got his 130 without reverse and its kinda fun watching him struggle at turning it around and docking haha.

I was over estimating all the weights to make sure i dont screw myself later
Ok so that settles it atleast a 155. I drove a rxt or rxp which ever was the fastest in 05 with some cavitation. Man i was scared to run in it full out. I dont need that speed. Plus i dont want more to maintain.
Now is there any difference between a wake 155 and say a gti 155 in terms of pulling power. Im looking to have fun not do stunts.

I was over estimating all the weights to make sure i dont screw myself later
Ok so that settles it atleast a 155. I drove a rxt or rxp which ever was the fastest in 05 with some cavitation. Man i was scared to run in it full out. I dont need that speed. Plus i dont want more to maintain.
Now is there any difference between a wake 155 and say a gti 155 in terms of pulling power. Im looking to have fun not do stunts.

the wake has the tow mode and the gti doesnt... also the wake has a pylon in the back.. the ski is specifically designed to tow wake boarders and tubes and the gti is not.

I agree. The 155 will do the job, but the wake 215 is a better option for what you described for your needs.

most of the later model (2008 after) i know for sure have the ballast tanks and pole with handles( its what made it a wake instead of a reg gtx). the s3 hull wakes with the auto ski mode started in 2009 (i'm pretty sure, i'm still learning the 4-tecs)

most of the later model (2008 after) i know for sure have the ballast tanks and pole with handles( its what made it a wake instead of a reg gtx). the s3 hull wakes with the auto ski mode started in 2009 (i'm pretty sure, i'm still learning the 4-tecs)

im still learning skis in general
so from what you are saying the s3 hull will plane earlier? and is the ski mode just so you dont go over a certain speed ?

doesnt seem to be to many wake edition and such around. might see if i can find someone with a 155 to test tubing or something
or looking at a GTR 215... Has the grunt you guys say i need. I dont need ballasts and the pylon and such (im screwing around). This is what a friend of mine from a dealer said to go with and he could work out a good deal for me too.
Plus another friend's uncle has a davit/ ski lift he has been trying to get rid of so maybe im in luck for a free or near free.
Next question: to go for a demo (there is another dealer on the bay that i will ski on. How hard is it to get a demo ride?

I have been pulling a tube with My wife on the backseat. NO PROBLEM at all.

and we have a 130gti and weigh more Than you and youre wife...

people always advice you to get a SC pwc but WHO the hell wants to refuel every three hours??

WHO is gonna pay for all that extra fuel and extra service on the SC?

Buy a wake 155..

I have been pulling a tube with My wife on the backseat. NO PROBLEM at all.

and we have a 130gti and weigh more Than you and youre wife...

people always advice you to get a SC pwc but WHO the hell wants to refuel every three hours??

WHO is gonna pay for all that extra fuel and extra service on the SC?

Buy a wake 155..

hmmm i hear a gti 155 "works"
from what guys say it all depends on how you ride em and gas mileage is not really bad. I think this is like v6 vs v8 discussions on mustang boards...a v6 will do fine but just get the best you can first which is a v8

i weigh 260 and My wife is at 190 and on the tube we had a 12y old and an19y old.

I mean common, you pull a tube with a boat and an 50hp 4-stroke.

Supercharged pwc is fun as hell but dont buy one cause you have to (cause you dont) buy a sc pwc if you want to! (cause you can)

i weigh 260 and My wife is at 190 and on the tube we had a 12y old and an19y old.

I mean common, you pull a tube with a boat and an 50hp 4-stroke.

Supercharged pwc is fun as hell but dont buy one cause you have to (cause you dont) buy a sc pwc if you want to! (cause you can)
Lake or bay?
And how smooth is it?
Because no way i could buy a new 215 maybe a 155 but degf a 130

I just took home a 2011 Wake 155 yesterday. I only rode it for a few minutes, but was severely impressed with how smooth the ride was. The top speed was the only concern I had as it topped out at 55mph on that ride. Since you are not concerned with top sped and would prefer reliability over speed (and keeping your budget in mind), I say the 155. You won't have to worry about rebuilding the SuperCharger every 100 hours or so.

The Yamaha FX HO would also be another great option. I would have grabbed one of those if they were available around me. Just so happens the 155 showed up first.

With your 8K used budget, you'll likely be better off going with the 155. You'll be able to get a newer year model than if you went with the Yamaha FX HO. I grabbed my 2011 with 22 hours for $7,500 (+tax, fees, registration, and all that other junk the dealer collects).

If you can grab a used one with low hours it's perfect if you ask me. Mine has 22 hours so the original owner took the depreciation on a new ski and broke it in for me to enjoy :)

If you have any specific questions on the Wake 155 that you can't find elsewhere, feel free to shoot me a PM

Lake or bay?
And how smooth is it?
Because no way i could buy a new 215 maybe a 155 but degf a 130

I ride a Gti 130 -13. When i have towed we usally do it in a bay. i live in the north of sweden so our bays/seas are nothing. the water has almost no salt in it and the waves are small. the conditions we ride in is more like riding a big lake.

I just took home a 2011 Wake 155 yesterday. I only rode it for a few minutes, but was severely impressed with how smooth the ride was. The top speed was the only concern I had as it topped out at 55mph on that ride. Since you are not concerned with top sped and would prefer reliability over speed (and keeping your budget in mind), I say the 155. You won't have to worry about rebuilding the SuperCharger every 100 hours or so.

The Yamaha FX HO would also be another great option. I would have grabbed one of those if they were available around me. Just so happens the 155 showed up first.

With your 8K used budget, you'll likely be better off going with the 155. You'll be able to get a newer year model than if you went with the Yamaha FX HO. I grabbed my 2011 with 22 hours for $7,500 (+tax, fees, registration, and all that other junk the dealer collects).

If you can grab a used one with low hours it's perfect if you ask me. Mine has 22 hours so the original owner took the depreciation on a new ski and broke it in for me to enjoy :)

If you have any specific questions on the Wake 155 that you can't find elsewhere, feel free to shoot me a PM
WOW thats a pretty good deal! I would love a low hr wake 155!
I ride a Gti 130 -13. When i have towed we usally do it in a bay. i live in the north of sweden so our bays/seas are nothing. the water has almost no salt in it and the waves are small. the conditions we ride in is more like riding a big lake.
Crap... my bay is notoriously choppy and bad... we were trying to knee board in 1-2 ft chop (white caps) the other day... with that it was 180 lb driver, 225 me, and 260 getting towed. Needless to say it was tough

But in general, I found a yammie VXR... 2011... 40 hrs, trailer, cover, PFDs, all for 8500 OBO seems pretty good. I might look harder for a wake 155 tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back