Looking at a Challenger X20....

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the info. I'm sure I can find one online, don't know where the hell the closest seadoo shop is. Comp test was good on all cyl. w/118 - 120 range on all 6. Did get most of the old gas pumped out and fuel lite warning was coming on when cranking, so that seems to be ok. Need to change plugs and remove fuel/water separator today and drain it. Prolly need fuel filters too.

Need to change plugs and remove fuel/water separator today and drain it. Prolly need fuel filters too.

You should replace both external fuel filters (inline and fuel/water separating). The fuel/water separating filter is not a lifetime product. A lot of them have rust inside from not being replaced often enough. I replaced mine every year. They are not expensive.

BTW, if all you need to do is "drain the water" you can do that by removing the sensor from the bottom of the filter.

There are two more fuel filters. One is the traditional "filter around the high pressure fuel pump" that you find in most fuel injected engines; it's inside the vapor separating tank (VST) which is a oddly shaped grey tank on the port side of the engine. The other is inside the fuel pressure regulator on top of the VST. Those aren't annual things but at some point you'd be wise to clean the entire fuel system (true for any engine, particularly marine engines).

Warning: Do NOT tow inflatables from the ski pylon on this or any other boat. Use the towing eye, on the transom just above the swim platform. The transom is strong enough to withstand the stresses. The ski pylon is not.

I'm curious to why you say this? I read the owners manual and didn't see where it says not to use? Is it because it's not strong enough? I've been using it, but don't want to rip it out of the boat.

I'm curious to why you say this? I read the owners manual and didn't see where it says not to use? Is it because it's not strong enough? I've been using it, but don't want to rip it out of the boat.

Correct. It is not strong enough. Ski pylons are designed to withstand the force that can be exerted by a single skier holding on with two human hands to the tow rope. Inflatables, by contrast, are tied on securely and can present MUCH higher forces. Many Seadoo ski pylons have been bent, and replaced, because of people towing inflatables from them. Mine is one of them - my pylon was bent by the boat's original owner in that exact way.

There's a reason that towing eye is just above the swim platform, and mounted on the (very strong) transom. Use it.

It's not the weight of the rider(s). It's the "anchor effect" of the inflatable itself. It can "catch" in the water and cause instantaneous shock loads on the rope and the tow point.

Is there much difference between a towable and say a 200# guy on a set of ski's or wakeboard though?

I'm not disputing what your saying mainly trying to gain knowledge of why they'd design something that wouldn't hold the weight of what most would use it for.

Is there much difference between a towable and say a 200# guy on a set of ski's or wakeboard though?

I'm not disputing what your saying mainly trying to gain knowledge of why they'd design something that wouldn't hold the weight of what most would use it for.

I think what WAJetboating is trying to explain is that the ski plyon is designed to take some stress but the skier or wakeboarder will let go at some point after they fall and therefore the stress from that drag is short in duration. The tube never lets go so the stress on the plyon in different when measure over time.

Eddie

I haven't even tried pulling our 2 person tube w/that worthless pole. I was out last weekend and pulled up on the pylon to show my brother and damn thing pulled right out....guess I need to look and see if the clip broke. I'd agree w/WAJb, you get alot of weight on a tube (me and a drunk buddy were 500#) and that's alot of drag, especially before planing. Fiberglass damage is no fun fixing.

One note on Merc mechanics. Make sure they are trained on your motor. Some merc dealers will not touch a sport jet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back