Looking at a 2005 Islandia with 250 Optimax - What should I be concerned about

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dblackstone

Going to look at this boat Saturday. Boat has 257 hours on it. Heard lots of horror stories about the Optimax. Anything major I should look for as potential issues. Ive read the life of one of these motors well maintained is 700-900 Hours and Power head is 10 years (recently replaced) We are just looking for cruising on the lake we are on and an occasional trip down the River. Any advice would be appreciated.00f0f_5PxC4PdALTx_600x450.jpg00K0K_btpYlQdJmD9_600x450.jpg00606_n8zPeN6wdW_600x450.jpg

Powered by a 240hp Mercury Optimax 250, there is plenty of power for tubing, skiing, or just plain old cruising. Although I tuned the throttle back to 80% (to reduce the temptation to fly), this jet boat will still hit 40 with 4 adults on it. You will never get lost with the 2015 Lowrance GPS/Depth/Fishfinder. All the upholstery has been redone, as well as the grab handles replaced with new white ones. There is plenty of stowage under the bow and port side seats, as well as a cooler drawer and fold up privacy room with port-o-potty. There is also a 20 gallon potable water tank, bow and stern wash down, and sink. This is a great first time boat, fun family boat, or downsize from a large cruiser. The jet drive has few moving parts and the 2 stroke Merc requires little maintenance. I recently replaced the spark plugs, starter, engine mounted oil tank, wear ring, and power head.

That's not an Optimax if he says it's a 240hp Merc. Those are two different engines.

Obviously, the 250 10 more hp, but it is direct injected and requires DFI oil. Where as the 240hp is EFI and uses Mercury Premium Plus oil.

Either way, if they run, they will run a long time. If they fail, they will be expensive to repair/replace. Just double check which engine it is, as the ad is contradictory.

Good luck,

I'm also curious to figure out how he turned the throttle back to 80%. Would it be an adjustment on the throttle lever?

No, for all we know he replaced the throttle cable and bought one that only let the throttle open 80%. There are a lot of red flags in this whole deal.

Here is the best part. Went to see the boat, water tested it. Was 250 optimax, seller just had wrong hp info. Interior was great, engine was clean, had printout with compression when he had it appraised for trade. Trailer was great but 3 tires were junk and he was towing it back n fourth 3 hours from house to camp.

He said he had someone coming the next day to look at it.

Called him on the way home from our 3 hour drive and worked a deal on it and I was going to drive back over Tuesday with Bank check.

He had it listed thru pop yachts. The potential buyer made an offer before looking at it with down payment so when he looked at it Sunday the seller sold it to him with plans for payment to be made this week.

Seller was an ass and figured I would understand after he gave me his word it was our boat even thou he knew he had an offer thru pop yachts. I had even offered to turn around and give him deposit and he said I didn't need to.

If I knew he had an offer and had to wait I would have driven 3 hours south to look at a 2003. Once he finally told me he sold the boat out from under me it was too late and the 2003 was sold.

Oh well back on the hunt for an Islandia. Guess I'll have to end up making a 6 hour drive to get one as we really want a jet boat for our location and love the layout of the islandia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back