Should I be concerned?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sportster0817

2003 Sportster 4 Tec. I've been dealing with some seized spark plugs from the previous owner, so I've been adding penetrating oil to the cylinders. A sea doo mechanic told me best way to pull the plugs out is put the oil, and run it hard. I tried that yesterday, the coil from cylinder 3 came off, because of the heat and oil (I would think)... I was also fighting a lot of weeds so I noticed a lack of power and thought it was because of some weeds in there, then saw the engine light on. At that point I opened the hatch and of course noticed the coil out. I'm also learning the behavior of this boat now, I just purchased it.

I have no idea how long I really ran it on two cylinders, probably 10-20 minutes, not sure. The engine light went away as soon as I put the coil back on. Probably I was lucky and nothing else happened. I couldn't continue to run it much after as the weather became very rough and I decided to get out of the water.

Since the engine light turned off right after and never came back on, should I still be concerned about anything?

When you say seized do you mean you can't turn the plugs at all ? Or do they go back and forth a bit but won't come out and are extremely hard to turn? I think from reading your other posts here that your plug threads in the head are stripped, they are aluminum threads and if the thread on the plug gets any damage or debris it will strip the threads in the head. When I had my engine rebuilt I had the shop Heli-coil all three holes just to be sure this would not happen to me. Everyone with aluminum threads should be using an anti seize thread product , you might have to remove the head and have it serviced.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back