Long Road Tow Help Question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to pull my boat behind a moving truck from AR to FL. I would appreciate some pointers from anyone who has done this before. All the research I have seen which yielded little help basically said to remove cushions, no boat covers, no loose items etc. However, I was wondering if there isnt something out there to cover it with that will protect it while on the trip or something. I am open to any tips or pointers from those who have been through this before. Thank you much!

E

Shrink wrap?.....

It's a fairly new boat, I'd want to protect it from all the road grime and pebbles myself.

The first thing I can think of is "shrink wrap".... Here on the Gulf coast, I see the boats come in all the time, dressed in shrink wrap. They are on haulers and look like they came a long way. But, the shrink wrap is always intact.

You might look in your phone book, under shipping or shippers. Maybe ask an automotive or yacht dealership.

I would not ride that far without protection. I don't care if I had to buy 5 tarps and duct tape. Pebbles and road grime are not good on your boat.

Trailer: If you don't have bearing buddies, I'd buy them. On the trip, have a grease gun handy and every couple hundred miles or when you stop for gas, feel the hubs to check for a hot bearing. You should do this as soon as you can when you stop, so it doesn't cool off on you. Then, give the bearings a couple squirts of grease. Also, you should give the trailer hitch ball a bit of grease for such a long trip. For just round town, I don't keep mine greased. It's messy. But, for the long haul, the excessive vibration will wear the metal down a little.

Don't forget the trailer spare....!:cheers:

It's a fairly new boat, I'd want to protect it from all the road grime and pebbles myself.

The first thing I can think of is "shrink wrap".... Here on the Gulf coast, I see the boats come in all the time, dressed in shrink wrap. They are on haulers and look like they came a long way. But, the shrink wrap is always intact.

You might look in your phone book, under shipping or shippers. Maybe ask an automotive or yacht dealership.

I would not ride that far without protection. I don't care if I had to buy 5 tarps and duct tape. Pebbles and road grime are not good on your boat.

Trailer: If you don't have bearing buddies, I'd buy them. On the trip, have a grease gun handy and every couple hundred miles or when you stop for gas, feel the hubs to check for a hot bearing. You should do this as soon as you can when you stop, so it doesn't cool off on you. Then, give the bearings a couple squirts of grease. Also, you should give the trailer hitch ball a bit of grease for such a long trip. For just round town, I don't keep mine greased. It's messy. But, for the long haul, the excessive vibration will wear the metal down a little.

Don't forget the trailer spare....!:cheers:
I do agree about grease in axle bearings + spare and good tires. It would not hurt to shrink wrap. I do not believe that I would shrink wrap unless I had more than $200,000 invested in my boat but that is only my opinion. It sure would not hurt and would only help if you did. :agree:

Cost?....

Yeah, I have no idea on how much the professional shrink wrap job would cost. Here, we use it and if I needed it, I could get a roll. I just wouldn't have that neat little holder thing for it. But, it's not much more than "cling wrap" my wife buys at the store..........

Still, like you said, it may cost a lot more than it would be worth. But, I've towed a boat from Houston to Mobile (19 foot Marquis) and had a popped windshield when I get home. Not to mention a bunch of little pebble marks and small chips in the hull......I guess it would be fair to say I came across interstate work on I-10 in Louisana........:cheers:

just a thought, what about check'n on the moving truck, to see about extended mud-flaps, or something to that affect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back