Loctite primer 7649 and Loctite 515 procedure for bottom end assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rdessewffy

515 says put primer on one surface and 515 on other, then assemble. Technical data sheet for primer says prime both surfaces and put 515 on one or both surfaces. Sea Doo shop manual says apply 515 to surface"s" and if using primer follow manufacturers instructions. I wouldn't think it matters but I don't want issues down the road with failure and I have no experience with this. I plan on applying the 515 with a high density foam roller.... is this best way? Thanks!!

Last edited:
515 says put primer on one surface and 515 on other, then assemble. Technical data sheet for primer says prime both surfaces and put 515 on one or both surfaces. Sea Doo shop manual says apply 515 to surface"s" and if using primer follow manufacturers instructions. I wouldn't think it matters but I don't want issues down the road with failure and I have no experience with this. I plan on applying the 515 with a high density foam roller.... is this best way? Thanks!!

There's better products out now since the service manual was written. I use Three Bond 1184 when assembling the case halves.

Do not use the loctite in the manual as it is the correct product anymore.

The correct sealant is either ThreeBond 1211 or 1184. 1184 can also be found as Permatex MotoSeal, Hondabond, Yamabond.

Do not use the loctite in the manual as it is the correct product anymore.

The correct sealant is either ThreeBond 1211 or 1184. 1184 can also be found as Permatex MotoSeal, Hondabond, Yamabond.
Should I still prime? I was going to put together today but waited for guidance.....thank you!

no primer, but i'm a firm believer in 518. 518 in the case halves. 518 on O rings. 518 on bolt threads. 518 on my tater tots.

Just like an oil debate, we all have our preferred products.
I use 518 on the bolts and o-rings but even Seadoo stopped using it on cases starting in 2000. The problem is that 518 isn't fuel proof like the 1184 and similar products are. If you take a 20 year old set of cases that used 518 you can clean it off with some gasoline which isn't a good thing for cases constantly exposed to gas, the decision it up to you.

Last edited:
Just like an oil debate, we all have our preferred products.

So true, but you set yourself up to have that debate when you use specific wording. I personally 'prefer' TB 1184, but I wouldn't say 515 or 518 isn't 'correct' and advise "do not use". Many, many people still use it for different reasons, 1. the factory had it, and 2. it cleans up fine later, 3. it works just fine otherwise engine builders to this day wouldn't still use it.

Last edited:
So true, but you set yourself up to have that debate when you use specific wording. I personally 'prefer' TB 1184, but I wouldn't say 515 or 518 isn't 'correct' and advise "do not use". Many, many people still use it for different reasons, 1. the factory had it, and 2. it cleans up fine later, 3. it works just fine otherwise engine builders to this day wouldn't still use it.
Sounds like the beginning of a great debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back