Loading on the trailer

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

silveradomike

Just purchased a used 06 sportster/HP and took it out last Friday. It performed and did everything as good as I had hoped and better. My only problem was getting it back on the trailer. I had a problem with neutral and the fact that it moves L or R when in neutral. You can just coast up to the tailer. Is there a trick to getting it on the trailer that someone can give me or is it just practice, practice and more practice? I had friends with me this time and I still ended up on top of one of the fenders. No other boater on the lakes so it wasn't to embarrassing. Any tricks or advice would be greatly appreciated.

congrats on the boat, man...if anything, dunk the trailer, then roll it up, so the fenders are about 4-7in above the water, than ride boat up til she wont go. Probably then, need to winch the rest...:cheers:

Just purchased a used 06 sportster/HP and took it out last Friday. It performed and did everything as good as I had hoped and better. My only problem was getting it back on the trailer. I had a problem with neutral and the fact that it moves L or R when in neutral. You can just coast up to the tailer. Is there a trick to getting it on the trailer that someone can give me or is it just practice, practice and more practice? I had friends with me this time and I still ended up on top of one of the fenders. No other boater on the lakes so it wasn't to embarrassing. Any tricks or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have an 04 speedster 200 and I find that if I feather the 'gear' just in or out of neutral and I can put her ANYWHERE. Since she spins on a dime, you can use neutral and near neutral to move back and forth like a hummingbird. This does not require long spins on the steering wheel nor any throttle, but nice, simple and calm movements are just elegantly perfect. Once I figured that out, I made my friends wife almost spit her drink out by coming in back to dock, doing a 180 to face out of the canal and slide the boat sideways (starboard) up against the dock from about 25 feet out. It was DAMN cool. :driving::cool:

Cerb

First post from Semag

I have a 2007 Speedster 150 and the first 2 or three times I went to take the boat out of the water I was on the fender also. Keep in mind, I'm a 30 year old in a sixty year old body. (Kinda like Spider-man) All the ramps are at different angles and the water is not always the same height depending on the Dam. The boat weighs 1,500+ pounds and I'm not about the drag the boat over the Sea Doo trailer. Don't even know if it would with the fenders out of the water. I put the fenders aprox 2 - 4 inches UNDER the water (depending on the ramp angle). I also installed a set of Heavy Duty Guide Posts made by Long Run Trailer ($60) just BEHIND the fenders and now I just put the boat in Neutral (still moves the boat at about 1/2 MPH) thru the posts and just as the boat is about 2 feet from the winch, put it in Reverse for half a second and cut the motor. The boat stops dead - about 6 inches from the winch. Then I Spidy up to the front and hook up the winch, snug it up where the roller is where I want (also hook the chain) and tell my wife to ease on out. The boat always settles right in place. Best $60 bucks I've ever spent and my wife and blood pressure sure think so to.

As far as easing the boat up to the trailer, dock or anything that could cause damage, find a buoy or something out of the way in a secluded area - with calm or no wind and practice using the neutral/part reverse/reverse control and get a feel for what the boat does and learn from this. Keep in mind, there is water coming thru the pump, no matter what position you have the gear selector in as long as the motor is running. It just takes time to learn whats going on - and you'll get better. I don't think there is anyone that gets it right the first time - I'm now able to move the boat sideways at the marina and look like a pro. It reminds me of being on the 18th hole - which is always at the club house and hitting a golf ball thru a window with 4-5 guys watching. LOL

Hope this helps - sorry for the long read....

Robert

Thanks for all replies. Should be taking to Doo out in a couple of weeks and will be giving it a try again. There shouldn't be too many people out, last time I was the only one out. I will give each one a try and practice and practice. One other thing, was the deal with the ceramic washer in the supercharge. If I am not on full throttle is it alright to have the pump out of the water when going through rough water?

????

Hi Silveradomike,

I don't have the supercharger model just for the reason of maintenance/service - plus I doo read a lot of forums with others that do and for my Speedster - there are MANY posts about getting those ceramic washers replaced with metal ones. I would post a question just pertaining to the subjuct, do a search here and go to the BRP site and search there as well. I can't remember where I read it but it also told what to expect in having a dealer charge you for the swap-out of the washers.

Per the "not full throttle in rough water - pump out of the water" question, I don't understand how the pump would be out of the water at slow speed? Be more specific on the matter. Common sence tells me that I don't want the pump running dry, without water going thru it unless you are jumping large waves for short 1-3 seconds when the boat is in the air and I can't see that when running less than full throttle. I know people jump waves and I've seen them 15' in the air (on jet ski's - but not a boat) and I know they are at full throttle in order to do this. If you are having trouble getting the boat on the trailer - don't try this yet.

You have a lot of money invested and then safety is your first consern. If you can be more specific about the pump out of the water part, maybe I can help you more.

I don't want this to sound mean, I just don't want you to burn up a supercharger or get hurt.

Robert

You don't come off as sounding mean. What I am asking, it is said that not to be full open throttle when in the air of which I don't plan to do but then again it can happen unintentionally. I wanted to know if going at less that full throttle eliminates any potential harm. I know for sure I will not be going full throttle very much. I to believe in safety and making my equipment last long.

The problem with the super chager's is that when you go off waves at full rpm's and bounce off the rev limiter it causes the washers to spin to obsorbe the impact of the water back in the pump and causes extra stress on the clutch washers. I get big air off my 200speedster NA, but know how to time it perfect at landing. I don't over rev it out of the water at 6- 8' off of waves as I back off the throttle as I go air born and apply it at landing...I also race the Pro Circuit for Kawasaki in the stand up division, Modified for 10 years, and Have been straddling a Jet Ski since about 1978. I also raced 125, 250 and open class Motocross, Flat Track, TT, Ice Ovals , and drags for 10 years prior to jet ski's. Now I just calmed down to jumping waves...business owner, family man and all.

Safety first is the best way. Practice practice, practice is the best way to learn how to handle your boat.

Karl

The problem with the super chager's is that when you go off waves at full rpm's and bounce off the rev limiter it causes the washers to spin to obsorbe the impact of the water back in the pump and causes extra stress on the clutch washers. I get big air off my 200speedster NA, but know how to time it perfect at landing. I don't over rev it out of the water at 6- 8' off of waves as I back off the throttle as I go air born and apply it at landing...I also race the Pro Circuit for Kawasaki in the stand up division, Modified for 10 years, and Have been straddling a Jet Ski since about 1978. I also raced 125, 250 and open class Motocross, Flat Track, TT, Ice Ovals , and drags for 10 years prior to jet ski's. Now I just calmed down to jumping waves...business owner, family man and all.

Safety first is the best way. Practice practice, practice is the best way to learn how to handle your boat.

Karl

Ferris Buehler, your my heeerrrrooo.....:leaving:, ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back