lighter...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

timmyboy76

For all us smokers'...gonna install cigarette lighter, figure above the driver cup holder, good place, but dilema is, whether to run own wire from it to battery, but now, will have constant draw, or use the "left-over" plug w/wires,( I'm sure a hot wire), under the storage compartment.

Battery....

I think I'd go to the battery, since a lighter heating element draws a few amps.

Lighters aren't a good idea on a boat with gas fumes...now that's a safe thing to have.....:rofl:
What do you do with the butts...throw them in the water..isn't that nice.

When you pull a live charred body from a burning boat ...than you can give me all the crap you want ...been their done that...yes he died...........................................................................................................

For all us smokers'...gonna install cigarette lighter, figure above the driver cup holder, good place, but dilema is, whether to run own wire from it to battery, but now, will have constant draw, or use the "left-over" plug w/wires,( I'm sure a hot wire), under the storage compartment.

let me refrase(think thats how spelt) this....
for us with older boats, who wouldn't mind hav'n auxillary outlet, cuz, it can be a pain sometimes, inflate'n an jump'n island for our kids/nephews, and lug'n it/tow'n it.....
........:cheers: Karl

Timmy dude, I was gonna harass ya, but it looks like Karl done beat me too it!

I have a friend, that I occasionally borrow money from, who was in the air force. He used to smoke. He quit when they went UP to 25 cents a pack, because he is such a scrooge! I about died laughing when he told me.

I don't smoke, and I am sure glad. They are expensive now.

And, as a side note, maybe it would be best to make a small bracket OUTSIDE the doo, so that all burning items REMAIN outside the doo. Something bothers me about having a recessed flame source, in a doo.

Also, I agree :agree: with separate wire, to the lighter. Those things can pull the amps. You never know what somebody else may use that plug in for. And carefully laid and routed 10 gauge wire seems appropriate to me.

We don't want Timmy to go BOOM!

:)

Nate

I somehow don't think a lighter is a good idea on a boat. Unless it ALSO had a switch that you had to HOLD while using the lighter. waterproof, spring loaded. If you got water into the lighter and shorted it out, it could cause the battery to explode. == ok, just put an inline fuse in it. Make SURE it is fused. And that the fuse is waterproof.

Nate

When i worked as a skipper on a cray boat we had a normal bic lighter tied with string in a handy place, it lasted 8 months with 2 smokers on board.:)
I would suggest that this would be a better solution. No extra wires, holes, explosions!!!!!!!:rofl:

And to jump to conclusion that most smokers throw their butts in the water is a bit unfair!! even thow i pick up others butts all the time, some people!!! I know what you mean though, at work we have a special fireproof ashtray in the smokers area, but i still find butts on the ground all around it, it is actually easier to put them in the ashtray because it puts them out for you but some people still stomp them out on the ground.
I have been smoking for 20 odd years(yes i no stupid and costly) and have worked on the ocean for 12 and played for i dont know how many and have never thrown a butt in the water. We use an old film canister( getting hard to find with digital cameras these days)or a empty cooldrink can as our butt bucket and if i dont have one it goes in my pocket( i already smell of smoke).

Last edited by a moderator:
All the newer doos have a cigarette lighter right in the glove box. Actually I don't know if it has the lighter portion. It might just have the terminal. We use it to power a little pump to fill the tube.

I have no idea if this helps or not :hurray:

I'm with Gunsrunner, that would mean all you guys that drink throw your can in the water too. The new Doo have 12 volt plugs for acc. but I was told by the dealer not to put in a cig litter cause it would melt it do to its plastic.:agree:

Notice that boats don't have a ashtray anywhere... But most all boats do have a cooler. The outlet is for 12 volts like a GPS, VHF radio or a spot light...not for smokes...What 's next a steel ring for a camp fire? That makes as much sense.

What a topic!....

Wow, this thread has generated a little heat. Like I said in my first reply, the accessory wiring will handle small portable accessories, like a laptop, GPS, or other small portable accessory. But to run a lighter or inverter, the amp draw is really high. For this situation, I'd run a line directly off my battery.

Karl, I think they didn't put an ashtry in a boat because when your riding in the wind, it automatically flicks the askes off your cigarette into the water. Then of course, what better way to extinguish your butt, than to toss it into the water?

They don't put ashtry's on motorcycles, but people smoke on them too!....:rofl:

By the way, I gave up smoking about 15 years ago. It was bad for my health. Now I just choke the crap out of my wife instead........:rofl: JK!

when does the acc. out let have power??

On another serious note here...Does the stock lighter/acc. plug stay on allthe time as long as the batt is connected, or does it have power only with the key attached/

Thnx.. Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back