Keel guard. Need to understand benefit.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danishgod

I need to know if a keel guard is a useful idea for Sea Doos with the plastic hull as well as the new 2018 hull for the RXT. I am loading them on EZ dock floating ramps and am concerned about hull deterioration over time. any thoughts on this? Thanks

They do what they claim but are ugly in my opinion although I never beach my skis either.

I had them on my 97 GTX and 98 GSX and they worked perfect. Barely noticeable and since I had to beach periodically where I rode it really protected the spine of the hull. I would do it in a heartbeat if they had ones that fit my 2008's - and I have ezdocks too

The last three skis I have bought have been beached. I wish they would have known about a keel guard and they are fiberglass hulls. I do not beach any of my skis, but I just bought some 4" black Flex Tape that I am going to put on, mainly to cover some of the scratches more than protect it from beaching. The Flex Tape was much less expensive than the typical keel guard. I am not sure how durable it would be for beaching but for my needs it will suffice. They also make white Flex Tape.

I have one on my XP since it was beached to death in its previous life. I sanded down the worn down part, patched it, then put a keel guard on. Best decision ever. I've not noticed any drawbacks and it has been on for.....5 years now.

FYI I put black flex tape on the keel of my 08 GTI SE on Friday. 10 hours later most of it is there but some chunks are missing and all the tape is wrinkly from the water hitting it. Don’t think it will stay on much longer. Didn’t beach it at all this weekend.

FYI I put black flex tape on the keel of my 08 GTI SE on Friday. 10 hours later most of it is there but some chunks are missing and all the tape is wrinkly from the water hitting it. Don’t think it will stay on much longer. Didn’t beach it at all this weekend.

Good to know. Thanks. There is also one made for kayaks for $45 on Amazon I have put on two of my skis. I currently have it on a 2008 gtx 215 and it seems to be holding up fine.

Great product for me seeing as I usually have to beach it pretty much all the time. Our beaches are mostly rock and semi fine sand . Been 2 years now and still holding up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back