Scratches and cracks on hull, due to floating dock?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

halvor90

As the title states, I have recently noticed scratches and two cracks on my Sea-Doo.
I am using a floating dock, I assume that the rollers might be the issue. I am a bit concerned about the two cracks please see below picture. What do you guys think is causing this and also should I do anything for the two cracks?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0485.jpeg
    IMG_0485.jpeg
    269.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0483.jpeg
    IMG_0483.jpeg
    328.4 KB · Views: 35
Scratches don’t require any attention, but cracks do. Search this forum for fiberglass repairs. There is body filler to use and paint to do it yourself. And figure out where these are occurring to prevent further damage - the puncture holes are a pretty significant impact.

Scratches don’t require any attention, but cracks do. Search this forum for fiberglass repairs. There is body filler to use and paint to do it yourself. And figure out where these are occurring to prevent further damage - the puncture holes are a pretty significant impact.
thanks, but I can still use the Sea-Doo right?

Can you post a picture of the platform and type of wheels involved?

We use two Wave Armor floating ramps, a 12' long model with blue wheels and a 14' long model with wider red wheels, for the past several years with hundreds of launch/recovery; with some parallel scratches at the point of contact on the front of my two seadoos (2016 GTX 155's) ; but no diagonal/cross directional scratches that your picture shows. Could the damage be from a different object?

Some other platforms have smaller wheels that might not be in the best positions for the support needed under your ski or Wide enough to spread out that First Contact Impact with the first set of wheels. Speed of contact is another factor and an Over Run of the platform into the nose pad where the Safety Chain is waiting could strike/dink the gelcoat?? The Wave Armor platforms have different wheel position options to match the PWC of your choice. I have fixed an above water line nickel size "dink" into the glass caused by a protruding dock bolt head at the old marina with a marine epoxy that is almost invisible (black on black) and had no further issues. Anything under the water line I would not risk letting water (and ingredients suspended in the water ....sand, algae, etc...) getting into the fiberglass/gelcoat area that could blister into something bigger and more expensive to repair.

Picture 0483 showing the underside of your ski has your trailer included. I would recommend inspecting the center guard on your trailer cross member since the one Dink is in line with the port side edge of that frame guard. I would recommend adjusting your bunks Up a couple of inches to avoid any contact with that frame guard since the weight of the ski is supposed to be on the bunks. I have 'doubled' the padded 2x4's on a second hand trailer that was for a different brand/bottom design PWC and I had to adjust the bunks to correctly carry the GTX 155.

You can ride and enjoy your Seadoo, but if you are getting water into the hull thru the cracks, you are not going to want to ride it. You should really fix the cracks first and then ride it. At a minimum, put some duct tape over the holes… or fill the holes and not worry so out the painting.

You can ride and enjoy your Seadoo, but if you are getting water into the hull thru the cracks, you are not going to want to ride it. You should really fix the cracks first and then ride it. At a minimum, put some duct tape over the holes… or fill the holes and not worry so out the painting.
thanks for the reply, I used a Gelcoat first I sanded the area, then applied the coating. Unfortunately I sanded some areas that was not impacted, so my Gelcoat looks horrible. See attached picture, any way to fix this? Also should I rather apply epoxy primer first, then Gelcoat it?

Attachments

• IMG_0536.png
    IMG_0536.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
thanks for the reply, I used a Gelcoat first I sanded the area, then applied the coating. Unfortunately I sanded some areas that was not impacted, so my Gelcoat looks horrible. See attached picture, any way to fix this? Also should I rather apply epoxy primer first, then Gelcoat it?
Any help would be appreciated! :)

Back