Karavan trailers are JUNK!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Surge breaks?...

Though it's probably nice to know you have them if you need them, I don't think there necessary for a boat that size.

Usually, you only see breaking systems on the heavier boats. I was kinda surprised when you said the trailer had surge breakes. I'm not to sure of the weight but if it's less than 4000 lbs, ...I think you'll be fine. The idea of the better axle and tires is worth the security. You'll probably notice a big difference in the way the trailer handles with that set up.

I've had a bearing seize on a boat trailer for a friend while I was heading out to the river with him, to try and help figure out where to sit the motor and whether or not, trim tabs would be necessary (not a Seadoo). The parts to the trailer axle was literally bought at Walmart. You'd be surprised how cheaply boat trailers are truly made. Especially when you can buy the parts off the shelf. The spindles are about 14" long and slide into the thin walled material of the axle tube.

If you had a surge breaking system, I'd bet your trailer is a bit better than the "el cheapo's" they sell us here on the Gulf Coast........:cheers:

they changed the design I have a 2008 islandia with a karavan trailer. 1 year and so far no problems.
utf-8BSU1HMDAyMTYtMjAwOTExMDktMTIyN.jpg
[/IMG]

I towed my challenger from Florida to Houston at 65 and 70 mph on the stock axles and worried the entire way.

Could I attach two of those axle kits and make mine a tandem axle? Overkill I know. Just for peace of mind.

Well this is all just wonderful.

I just bought a brand new Karavan trailer in July. Good to know. Glad nobody got hurt.

Hey Dallas-(Or anyone else with a tandem axle)

I'm picking up my 230 in Virginia this weekend and bringing it back to NY. She's got a Karavan trailer too, just wondering if you've ever taken any longer trips or had any trouble with yours.

Just some common sense advice that I didn't really consider, try to lighten the boat, so burn up all the gas if you can, and maybe put your seat cushions and any other items in the boat, in your truck. Also, most of my problems occurred descending out of the Rocky mountains, so you shouldn't have quite the long downhill that puts all that weight on the tongue. My trailer went 2500 miles before failing.

I have hauled seadoo GTX and sportster from GA to IA to MI to OH, used to do it 2 times a year, but I reloaded my wheel bearings with amsoil synthetic and used normal caps, the bearing buddy idea sounds good but checking them makes more sense to me, just a paper coffee cup of grease and the whole inside area is greased, I have generic auto parts store bearings on my flatbed that hauls about half this trip draggings brush and twigs from campground lots often. Give you trailer a once over before making the next trip and you should be fine.

Agreed

I agree with what everyone says. Set tire air pressure per the decal on trailer. Re-grease hubs every six months or right before a long trip. Take a scale and weight the tongue weight of the trailer(it should be about 10% of total weight).

Every fuel stop check hub temps...They should be warm not hot. Check the wench strap. it need to be snug and the boat should be up against the bow roller.

I agree with Tarheel, most likely the decent from the rocky mountains is what did it. Imagine a steep decent coupled with braking forces. I agree it shouldn't have happened and the trailer should have been able to handle it but it is what it is.

I'm just thrilled he didn't lose a bearing on that trip because I had re-greased them a few months before he took it with synthetic Green grease. Its supposed to be the best.

Craig

recent tow

I picked up my Challenger last weekend in VA and towed it home to NY in one shot on a Karavan. Most of the trip was fairly mountainous and lots of construction (i.e. lots of bumps and quick lane changes). This took about 9 1/2 hours going 65-70 most of the time. Every time I stopped I checked the hub temps, tires, tie-downs, lights etc. and had no issues at all.

It seemed to take too much braking to get the surge brakes to engage in my opinion. But no real issues.

Just wanted to share my experience.

Safe trip...

I picked up my Challenger last weekend in VA and towed it home to NY in one shot on a Karavan. Most of the trip was fairly mountainous and lots of construction (i.e. lots of bumps and quick lane changes). This took about 9 1/2 hours going 65-70 most of the time. Every time I stopped I checked the hub temps, tires, tie-downs, lights etc. and had no issues at all.

It seemed to take too much braking to get the surge brakes to engage in my opinion. But no real issues.

Just wanted to share my experience.

It's good to hear you had a safe trip back to NY. From your post, gotcha a nice boat too.

This is an older post so I just quickly went back through it to see what I had to say. I see I made a statement on my opinion of the integrity of boat trailers. When you buy a boat, your buying the boat. Not the boats transportation. It's like the dealer only cares about you getting it from his lot to your house.

I'm not saying all boat trailers are only made for local traffic but I am saying that alot of them are. Especially on the smaller, single axle type. The ones you might see pulling 16 foot or so with those tiny Walmart tires.

Some of these trailers I've seen around the Island pulling 22 footers and over have these nice trailers that have regular car tires on them with a standard looking hub and suspension system.

I think it's a no brainer though, if you want to pull something long distance, stay on top of bearing condition and tire pressure. Just being aware that the trailer suspension isn't like a motor vehicles and that you need to do more maintenance, might keep you off the side of the road. Maybe your reading this thread when you were getting your boat from Dallas caused you to be more aware of the issue. You took more steps than you might have and that's why you had a good towing experience..........:cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Right on.

:agree:

Yup. I was paying extra attention to the trailer after hearing some of the stories, although I usually give my Heritage at least a quick once-over at every stop too. I do a lot of fabricating at my job and it bums me out seeing poorly built trailers failing like this guy's did. Most of the things I build are not at the same risk to life and limb as a loaded trailer heading down the road and I still make sure they're bomb-proof. Just a matter of personal pride. I know its all about the money but it does make me shake my head.

Old School.....

:agree:

Yup. I was paying extra attention to the trailer after hearing some of the stories, although I usually give my Heritage at least a quick once-over at every stop too. I do a lot of fabricating at my job and it bums me out seeing poorly built trailers failing like this guy's did. Most of the things I build are not at the same risk to life and limb as a loaded trailer heading down the road and I still make sure they're bomb-proof. Just a matter of personal pride. I know its all about the money but it does make me shake my head.

Ahhhh, .... I can see we got one of my old school type here. Back from the day when we were proud to put our name on something. My wife tells me I over do something when I repair or build it. I always tell her the same thing, "I built it to withstand the worst while hoping it never has to see it". I don't like something I've built, repaired or worked on, break again. I learned as a kid, do it right the first time so you don't have to do it again.

If I buy one of those cheapo book cases or somthing from Walmart with the particle board and carboard backing, the first thing I do is reinfore it with 1/8" ply and 1x2 supports........:rofl: I'd rather build the case myself out in my wood working side of my shop but sometimes it's just not pratical.

Life is so fast paced today that no one takes the time to put a little pride in it. It's all about how much money and how fast I can get it.:cheers:

Broke a bunk mount which bent my winch bracket. Trailer has about 4,000 miles on it. 2012 230 SP. It's traveled from Michigan (first owners) to FL(where I purchase it from) to Houston(where I live) to GA(family visiting) replaced all bearings on a wheel because it Failed

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back