Just Ordered Up a Transom Light

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JPass

I've always wanted to add an underwater light to our boat. I've been looking at a few different brands for a while now and I finally pulled the trigger on this in blue:

Dagon 5150 8000L.jpg

Should be here mid week. I just installed my rebuilt SC'ers and am on hold until the new clamps get here end of next week. I figure I might as well install now being that I have the entire airbox off and better access to the transom.

Says the dimensions are 3.75" W x 2.5" H. I'll be mounting it right above the drain hole.

Can't wait.

I'll try to do a write up with pics when I'm done installing.

Haven't quite decided on how I'm going to wire it up. I purchased the optional remote. It gives you the ability to turn the light on and off, it has eight different effects, ten level dimmer with auto save function.....blah blah blah. Not sure if I'm going to grab any hot in the engine bay or if I'm going to wire it to the anchor light circuit.

Once the light is in my hands, I'll have a better idea of how I'm going to install it. Here's the optional remote:

Dagon LED Remote.jpg

I want to do this as well, I wonder tho if its stupid bright and wired to the anchor light would it blind other boaters while the boat is on plane

I want to do this as well, I wonder tho if its stupid bright and wired to the anchor light would it blind other boaters while the boat is on plane

I doubt it would be blinding to others behind the boat as the light should be below the water line and if the boat is on plane, the light should be angled slightly downwards avoiding any blinding chances.

The more I thought about it, I think I'm going to wire them up to the interior courtesy lights as I don't want the lights on every time the Nav or anchor lights are on.

Light should be here tomorrow or Fri. Hope to have it all wired up this weekend.

Light came today. Feels super solid in your hands. Components seem well made. Installing this Saturday.

Some pics to see size and what comes with the light. I got the optional remote which enables you to dim them and add some effects.

20170119_172207.jpg

20170119_193841.jpg

ive thought aout this type of lights on my other boats ive seen some on docked at tiki bars so I wouldn't do the anchor light thing either,

How big is the hole required to feed the cable through? Just the size of the cable in the picture? Or is there a connector on it?

How big is the hole required to feed the cable through? Just the size of the cable in the picture? Or is there a connector on it?

Power cable comes with a cut end of insulated wire. There are 2 wires that will need to be terminated to connect to ground and the supplied resistor. The OD of the cable is 5/16".

Yeah, the one you stick in the socket on the back, on my boat it does, dont know if the op's is on his top or if its detachable

In a traditional setup, the masthead light would be 225 degrees and the stern light would be 135 degrees. When running, the masthead light would be off. When anchored, the masthead and the stern light are on which equals 360 degrees.

If you are running with a 360 degree light, I believe that it is illegal.

I'm headed to my old CG books as below a certain size this may not be the case...

No, only the 360 white on a stick, and the red/green on the bow. When youre anchored at night you flip the switch from nav to anchor and it kills the bow light

No, only the 360 white on a stick, and the red/green on the bow. When youre anchored at night you flip the switch from nav to anchor and it kills the bow light

Here is where I am confused..

If you flip the switch and only the side lights are visible, if something comes from behind you, they will see no lights. Port and STB lights are 112.5 degrees from bow to abaft the bow. Which means the side lights arc to 22.5 degrees past the 90 degree mark.

Lets say a higher speed boat is coming at you directly from your stern, how do they know you are there?

I am not arguing, I am trying to figure this out...

The 360 light is the highest part of the boat, not everybody is diligent about making sure their light is flipped up when the light is on their bimini top, so you see the white light from every angle. When you are not moving nobody needs to see your bow light they just need to steer clear as if they were approaching from the stern. The lights youre talking about are reguired on boats above 12 meters, thats a huge boat.

Our size boats have a 360o light and bow lights. The 360o light on mine is on two switches. On with the bow lights, or on by itself when anchored in waterways.

Now that we're clear on how our Nav and Anchor lights work........

I found out today that this particular light will draw 6A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back