Just bought 2012 Speedster 200 510. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apec

Hi all first post. I just bought this crazy boat and looking for some suggestions. Been a long time PWC SEA-DOO owner and family has a larger boat, so it’s our first jet boat. And this surely isn’t any jet boat. Can anyone please give any suggestions or recommendations? Original owner has good records with yearly service, but I don’t see SC rebuilt. I’ve read about a problem with the factory exhaust and hard piping with PVC, but that’s the real only main issue. Thanks, for the help!!! Super excited to go out this weekend

I have an 07 200 430HP, great boat overall. Some things to think about. If the Superchargers have not been rebuilt, rebuild them before going out and make sure they are done from here on out on time, every time. This boat rides very shallow in the water. I'm not sure where you live but anything above calm water can be a rough to very rough ride. Try to keep weight forward to avoid porpoising (avoid everyone sitting in the back). High probability you will get some porpoising, I turn or mess with the throttle to calm it back down.

Expect to get lookers, these are pretty rare these days. I'm in northern California and i have never seen another 200, and only three Sea-Doo boats in my three years of ownership so people love to stare which feels good. You will also be one of the fastest production boats on the lake so when the water is calm open it up and let the boat make your adrenaline flow.

If you have any specific questions i would be happy to answer.

I have an 07 200 430HP, great boat overall. Some things to think about. If the Superchargers have not been rebuilt, rebuild them before going out and make sure they are done from here on out on time, every time. This boat rides very shallow in the water. I'm not sure where you live but anything above calm water can be a rough to very rough ride. Try to keep weight forward to avoid porpoising (avoid everyone sitting in the back). High probability you will get some porpoising, I turn or mess with the throttle to calm it back down.

Expect to get lookers, these are pretty rare these days. I'm in northern California and i have never seen another 200, and only three Sea-Doo boats in my three years of ownership so people love to stare which feels good. You will also be one of the fastest production boats on the lake so when the water is calm open it up and let the boat make your adrenaline flow.

If you have any specific questions i would be happy to answer.

thank you very much. Our family is very excited. It was an impulse buy, and we aren’t sure of the maint records so it’s so risky. But like you said it’s so rare we couldn’t pass up the opportunity. I boat in the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland, we have a Carver with a yearly slip at a marina there. This will be used in the Delaware River, Chesapeake, and Jersey Bays. Have you ever taken out in the Ocean? I want to put her in and run 10-15 minutes, then take to dealer before really getting on it. But super excited.
Have you done many of the mods I’ve seen on this forum (not for speed but durability)?
what have you done to your boat to ensure durability?
Mostly, the exhaust resister is what worries me the most.
Thanks Bradatspb

I have never taken it out on the ocean as a personal preference of wanting to avoid the boat in salt water and with close access to multiple lakes i don't ever feel the need to go. Knock on wood the boat is solid as is. I bought the boat with 117hrs on port and 124 on starboard and am currently sitting right around 200 hours. Aside from biannual supercharger rebuilds, yearly oil and occasional plugs this boat has been rock solid. I am not familiar with the exhaust concern you are mentioning. I know there is an O2 sensor on the water box that does not like when you run the engine out of water and if you fry it, it will throw a check engine light. It is cheap and easy to replace. I have not seen any of the horror stories on my boat that i have read here. Knock on wood she keeps on keeping on.

If you are already a sea-doo owner i would highly recommend the CanDooPro system for maintenance. It is expensive but aside from programming keys on the newer stuff it will do nearly everything the BUDS systems can do for a fraction of the cost and without the need to go to the dealer.

Hey I’ll check out that system. I have an appointment to download at a shop with BUDS, but I hate to go to a dealer everytime. I’m seeing around $400? Is that right?

took it out tonight it went perfect. Put about1 hr on her, got to WOT a few times and wow. Gives the same feeling our 300hp RXP-X does. We instantly fell in love. Boat ran flawless. Oil, fittings, hose clamps all look great.
Hey let Me ask you, when you dock do you or anyone you know only use 1 engine? Seemed to work well, not sure If it could be a problem or better to just learn using both. Just so much propulsion forward and reverse when docking with zero throttle.
Thanks!!

Last edited:
i think most people use both engines when docking. the key is to come in really slow. i cycle back and forth between forward and reverse to regulate my speed down to what i feel is an acceptable level. having the option of differential thrust is really nice when you are trying to dock in a crosswind or strong current.

rome wasn't built in a day. it will take a while to build your skills. just keep practicing and you will get it.

I definitely recommend docking with both engines as you'll find using one engine gives you good response in one direction and very slow response in the other. Glad everything went well! Yes the candoopro for home is around $400 and gives you 4 licenses i believe. When i dock i keep both engines at idle and bounce back and forth between forward and neutral to gain the desired approach speed. Another option is holding the buckets in between neutral and forward to give you slight forward motion (or slight reverse if desired). It wont take long to learn how to maneuver the boat since it behaves just like a ski and turns on a dime.

Hey guys thanks for all the help. A few weeks later and I can’t elate how great things are going with the boat

After going to dealer and doing a download, found out it only had 44 hours on it. Well maybe another 10hrs since we purchased.
This week we took it to another body of water, from the Delaware River to Ocean City, NJ. Here all week and keeping it in the water. Not excited to see how green the hull is after the week.

Did a few top speed runs, flat water in the rivers leading to the bay and hit 60mph twice. I think in better conditions it has some more in her. And just like any performance Jet Ski, more impressive than the top speed is the time it takes to reach top speed.

Took her in the Ocean. Other than the inlet which was rough, the boat took it like a champ. Let’s just say the boat far exceeded the operators capability.

Cornering is unbelievable. I have nothing to compare to other than jetski and a 57’ Carver, but wow.

Next step is to do a few speed runs against the jet ski’s and a few friends Bowriders. I can’t imagine Bowriders to be a problem, maybe even faster than our GTI 130. But then big boy jetski’s.....not a chance.

so far, so so so damn good.

Glad you are happy with it. If it were my boat I would not leave it in the water. Definitely not in salt.

You are right, looking into dry dock options for the rest of the season at the marina, this was 1 week with the huge family. We’ve left ski’s in water at the slip for 10+ years for the week, knowing it’s for sure not the best idea.

Took her out today, gave a good cleaning and first wax, and can’t wait for the next weekend!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back